Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431307 times)

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3855 on: October 09, 2019, 02:18:22 pm »

Vis a vis obsidian farming - are there pitfalls to the simpler "fill bottom level of room with magma, flood Z+1 level above with water" method aside from the obvious problem that the bridge-drop method solves (i.e. excess water left over causing the odd job cancellations as your miners clean out the harvest)? I'll be using a minecart lift system to deliver the magma, which will require some simple computing/timing devices to ensure no more odd bugs with minecart z-level stacking will muck up the system like in my last fort, so I figure I may as well automate the whole system to some degree, including a timer to shut the water supply floodgates when appropriate. Additionally, are there any reasons to prefer a bridge-drop method from a computing/automation standpoint?

And if anyone has such a system that they're proud of, I'd love to see them!
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: October 09, 2019, 03:01:38 pm »

Well, if you bucket water directly into magma, it evaporates. However, I recall one obsidianizing setup that pumped water from an aquifer tile across a hole of magma into another aquifer tile, so if you have an infinite water source I doubt you'd need a bridge; just portable drain.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: October 09, 2019, 07:28:53 pm »

When you make a militia defend a burrow, does the militia automatically detect enemies stepping in said burrow? Or does the enemy still need to be within sight range? I ask because I'm trying to find efficient ways to stop tantruming dwarves.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: October 09, 2019, 08:40:27 pm »

Good question about the burrows.  I don't have the answer, but if so, that could be also applied fairly well by making a burrow on the surface for marksdwarves to defend from fortified locations.

For the tantruming dwarves, one thing I've found helpful is breaking up a squad of 10 into 2 - 3 small squads and having more barracks in hub areas of the fort.  It cuts response time dramatically, and anything 2 well trained dwarves can't handle on their own, they can usually survive until the other mini squads get there to back them up.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: October 12, 2019, 02:16:28 pm »

Are siege weapons/engines used for missions or just defense? I can't find the thread that describes all of this.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: October 12, 2019, 02:42:33 pm »

Siege engines are only for defense at the moment. There are plans (iirc) about sieges bringing their own against your fort so maybe in the future we will be able to send out too.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: October 13, 2019, 01:06:07 pm »

Siege Engines haven't been updated much since the 2D version of the game and they are largely useless for practical purposes.

I build them as decorations.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: November 01, 2019, 11:43:28 pm »

I keep getting this.

I must have this message like 1000 times now. How the hell do I find the source?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: November 02, 2019, 12:48:31 am »

The dwarfs are attempting to haul the kitten to whatever pasture or cage it was assigned to, but they cannot path to it (maybe it is stuck somewhere due to combat?).

You can remove the kitten from the pasture or cage assignment, or you can find the kitten and fix the path issue.

If you have few kittens, it should be easy to 'z'oom to an animal's location from the 'u'nit menu.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: November 02, 2019, 02:41:51 am »

I have an insane amount of kittens, and I have no idea how to find the one that's causing all this.

Edit: There is a cat that died recently, is there a bug where someone can try to handle a cat that's dead/not around anymore?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:55:53 am by xZippy »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: November 02, 2019, 02:57:30 am »

The dwarfs are attempting to haul the kitten to whatever pasture or cage it was assigned to, but they cannot path to it (maybe it is stuck somewhere due to combat?).
Most likely climbing up and down the cavern walls just for the lulz.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: November 02, 2019, 03:41:16 am »

Yeah, now this is getting real annoying.

I checked all the kittens, and they're all in normal areas of the fortress. The "Cog" guy who keeps not doing the job is stuck in one spot and is even starting to die of thirst now - even if I remove the animal hauling job for him. What the hell is the issue here?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: November 02, 2019, 04:11:08 am »

That the Cog guy is stuck somewhere that he can't path to whatever job he is assigned to??

edit: even if you disable the labor, dwarves will still try to complete the last job that was assigned to them.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:13:17 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: November 02, 2019, 07:29:48 am »

Can you cancel it from the [j]obs screen?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: November 02, 2019, 10:50:16 am »

Hit Cog with something and see if he snaps from it.
Or just injure he enough that someone can come and take him to the infirmary.
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 268