Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434403 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3870 on: November 02, 2019, 12:50:23 pm »

I'd use military menu civilian alert before that, since that will cancel jobs with forbidden area.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: November 03, 2019, 01:00:49 am »

I'd use military menu civilian alert before that, since that will cancel jobs with forbidden area.
I can make him move around a bit by doing that, but the second I put alerts back to normal, the guy goes back to just standing in one spot, obsessing over a job he'll never do - spamming the announcements by the 100's in seconds.

Can you cancel it from the [j]obs screen?
I cannot. And hurting him doesn't seem to do anything either.

Resolved: Making him part of a military, then removing him seemed to work. For now...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 01:29:19 am by xZippy »

Tarqeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: November 11, 2019, 04:18:03 pm »

When did we lose the native gold floors and such? There used to be hematite floor after you mined out hematite, these days it is just default stone type for the layer.

Is there a reason for the change? Can it be reenabled?

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: November 11, 2019, 08:34:49 pm »

I’m having a small but annoying problem with my fort.

In an area that used to be a dormitory, I can’t get my dwarves to remove the beds, misplaced doors, tables and chairs.  When I press ‘q’ and move the cursor over the beds, it fails to recognize them (although they are described when I hit ‘k’).  I’ve tried reclaiming them... nothing I could think of works.  Please note that my dwarves are having no problem hauling furniture throughout the rest of my fort, except for this one small area.

Help... I’m about to lose it and destroy my own craftdwarf workshop!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: November 11, 2019, 09:44:27 pm »

Have they already been removed?  Try building a bed right next to one of those and see if any of the available beds are 1 distance away.  I ran into that before, as once they have been removed, if there is no stockpile for them to fit into, they'll just stay put, but still show up with k, though not with q.

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: November 11, 2019, 11:33:54 pm »

Have they already been removed?  Try building a bed right next to one of those and see if any of the available beds are 1 distance away.  I ran into that before, as once they have been removed, if there is no stockpile for them to fit into, they'll just stay put, but still show up with k, though not with q.

Looks like I made a mistake in my stockpile settings.  This is fortunate, since I was getting tired of the gander who was wandering around the room for some reason to move the furniture for me.

Thanks for your reply.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: November 12, 2019, 01:07:30 am »

When did we lose the native gold floors and such? There used to be hematite floor after you mined out hematite, these days it is just default stone type for the layer.

Is there a reason for the change? Can it be reenabled?

Like 5 years ago with 40.01...  ::)

Thought to be intentional - there were a slew of bug reports (for example http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6896) shortly afterwards.

Reasons, you'd have to ask the Toad but I'd guess it was either a bug fix or a rebalancing.

Reenabled no.  It might be possible to do something with DfHack to replace the floors on the fly as mining happens (or after it finishes) but you would have to script that.  Tiletypes can be invoked to manually change the material of any given tile(s).

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: November 12, 2019, 05:34:37 pm »

Might be misremembering, but it supposedly is planned to get worked out along with 3d veins later.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: November 13, 2019, 04:52:21 pm »

On my schedule screen, I can't get entries to change from 'no scheduled order' to 'train.'  But I can cancel training without a problem.  Nevermind... I just figured out how to cycle orders.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:47:56 pm by Five chickens »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: November 14, 2019, 12:07:47 am »

Might be misremembering, but it supposedly is planned to get worked out along with 3d veins later.

Yeah, that makes sense.  :)

Still at least a couple of years away though.

Tarqeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: November 14, 2019, 09:12:54 pm »

Ah, thank you. I remembered the issue, again, when I embarked on a dragon cave and it had various gem floors and stuff since it is generated differently.

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: November 14, 2019, 09:24:16 pm »

Is there a way to make ash out of wooden weapons and armor?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: November 15, 2019, 01:01:07 am »

Not in vanilla, no. Some mods do add it.

@Tarqeq: It's theoretically possible to make a script to reenable with dfhack, i.e. there's builder as well as eventful for watching dig jobs.

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: November 15, 2019, 10:54:35 am »

The dorfs in my melee squad have a bad habit of not equipping their weapons, even though I just set up a steel weapons-only stockpile not far from their barracks.  What can I do about this?  (When I check on my squad screen, there is a green checkmark next to each dwarf's weapon, but then I look at them in the barracks and most of them never have a weapon equipped.)

I'm also having another problem: my outdoor well is surrounded by vomit, blood and pus, and I'm having trouble convincing my losers to clean around it.  Update: I did manage to get every square around my well clean... except one.  (This is fortunate, as my dwarven children are fond of playing in the blood, vomit and pus.)
#
I finally dealt with my outdoor well problem by building dirt roads on all of the surrounding squares, except for the one with a boulder on it.  But I designated 'smooth stone' on that square, and that eliminated the blood and other contaminants (for now, at least).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 01:23:33 am by Five chickens »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: November 15, 2019, 07:31:29 pm »

The dorfs in my melee squad have a bad habit of not equipping their weapons, even though I just set up a steel weapons-only stockpile not far from their barracks.  What can I do about this?  (When I check on my squad screen, there is a green checkmark next to each dwarf's weapon, but then I look at them in the barracks and most of them never have a weapon equipped.)

Dwarfs are aggressive about wearing their uniform once they decide it is time to wear it, so if you give them a barracks set to 't'rain their squad or give their squad a 'm'ove or 'k'ill order, that will trigger them to seek out their uniform. This is all you should need to do to trigger them to wear their uniform, if their uniform is equippable.

The green checkmarks indicate each weapon or armor was assigned, not that the dwarf can equip it, and if a dwarf is wearing armor but not a weapon, something else may be going on (the weapon is too large, or the dwarf is one-armed and has a shield, etc).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 268