Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434404 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3930 on: December 26, 2019, 09:18:52 pm »

If I was playing a "no migrants will be arriving" fort, I would consider exterminating it, but generally I fight the were-hares and run from the were-bisons.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #3931 on: December 27, 2019, 06:10:28 pm »

When you guys get a werecreature in your world and you don't feel like dealing with it... do you DFHack exterminate it? Or tough it out and attempt to kill it?

I usually take a break from the game and then come back when I'm ready to deal with it.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: December 27, 2019, 07:35:01 pm »

After a few too many werebeast induced early demolitions, I started bringing a war dog to hold the thing for a sec while we throw pebbles at it. Or at least feels like pebbles those low-quality wooden bolts. It is usually more willing to lay down and die after the ordeal, if it doesn't just spend so much time clobbering dogs that it transforms back to human.
In a time before time, I had a name.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: December 27, 2019, 08:48:26 pm »

Hey, does legends viewer still work?  is there a new one?  and dwarf therapist?

Legends Browser is a great alternative for DF'ers on non-Windows machines.
you are my hero
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ShortBusser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: January 03, 2020, 10:00:27 am »

Should I set up an underground fishing area?

I have a surface pond, one level above ground, close to.my fortress. There are 8-10 squares of water with level up to 3.

Should I somehow dig a sufficiently deep pool under this, with a one level gap, and the breech the pool to fill up my artificial pool?

What is the mechanism for this?

Can I breed cave lobster and cave fish? I brought some with me.

My dogs died before breeding. Sigh...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: January 03, 2020, 02:21:10 pm »

Should I set up an underground fishing area?

I have a surface pond, one level above ground, close to.my fortress. There are 8-10 squares of water with level up to 3.

Should I somehow dig a sufficiently deep pool under this, with a one level gap, and the breech the pool to fill up my artificial pool?

What is the mechanism for this?

Moving the water will displace the immediate population, but ponds rivers and cavern lakes (not to mention the ocean) have their own spawning fish and it works best when it is done naturally. If the biome allows it sometimes catchable toads will spawn in waterlogged not-pond tiles, as long as its the rough area any fish you relocate to a custom pond they'll survive in or near the area they were took from.

Fish in the caverns require the same biome as where cavern fish are naturally found to do this. The fishery job to 'catch a live fish' with a animal-trap cage (the one reserved for vermin) will safely take it out of that enviroment, where you can deposit it where you like, such as a aquarium made out of glass filled with water for dwarves to admire or empty it into a pond (alternative pit in the 'i' screen)

Very simply though, anywhere where you can see vermin-fish, you can just mark a little 'i' fishing zone there to direct dwarves where you want the to go, including anywhere specially built by yourself by redirecting or pumping water in with screw pumps.

Can I breed cave lobster and cave fish? I brought some with me.

My dogs died before breeding. Sigh...

The cave lobster and the fish are already gutted and prepared for consumption, though you can catch fish in the caverns if they have water around, most above-ground fish will probably need a river nearby as 'stagnant pools' that refill with rain do not restock themselves after a deep freeze (turning the water solid in winter to mineable ice) and can be overfished. Rivers and oceans have much higher fish populations that'll probably never run out without many years of freezing solid.

Not to worry, you can obtain more dogs (and some other animals) from dwarven merchants by waiting or asking for some in a trade agreement, they're not too hard to pasture close together to breed because of large litter sizes you'll soon have lots of puppies. You will need a broker and preferably some supplies to barter with by the time the traders arrive in Autumn each year.

If they arent segregated by name on the list like dogs are, you can look at the other animals in the 'pets' section to get a idea of the ordering. Rams and Ewes (sheep) for example, take note of which one is above the other on the list as this is how the gendering is ordered.

ShortBusser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: January 04, 2020, 08:39:06 am »

Thanks for your post.

A migrant turned up with a puppy of the opposite sex of my remaining dog. So fingers crossed.

I am trying to irrigate an outside space to make mud for farming. I designated it as a pool. Made loads of buckets, which are still on a stockpile, designated several water collection areas (by making a big area which encompasses natural stagnant water sources) and endured that there are plenty of guys with water hauling without other jobs [I didn't need to do anything as there were already]. But no one is bringing water to that spot. Any ideas?

How do I bring water down near to my hospital? I guess I somehow dig a deep hole, deep enough to hold all the water, and put a well on top?

This is the most incredible game.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: January 04, 2020, 10:56:00 am »

A migrant turned up with a puppy of the opposite sex of my remaining dog. So fingers crossed.
If you create a pasture indoors, and add the puppy and dog to it, they are more likely to survive to breed.

I am trying to irrigate an outside space to make mud for farming. I designated it as a pool. Made loads of buckets, which are still on a stockpile, designated several water collection areas (by making a big area which encompasses natural stagnant water sources) and endured that there are plenty of guys with water hauling without other jobs [I didn't need to do anything as there were already]. But no one is bringing water to that spot. Any ideas?
The area designated as a pond needs to be an "empty space", meaning it has to be 1 z-level above the floor where you want the mud. If dwarfs can walk on the tile that has been zoned as a pit/pond, they will not throw water into it. But, are you sure you need the mud to farm? Usually you can just 'b' 'p' to build a farmimg plot in the surface's dirt, and only need to add mud if there is no dirt available in the first place. Check out the wiki about ponds and about farms.

How do I bring water down near to my hospital? I guess I somehow dig a deep hole, deep enough to hold all the water, and put a well on top?
You can do something like that, there are different methods. A "deep hole" method I have used is to 'd' 'h' to designate two tiles for channelling, then '>' to descend a z-level and 'd' 'h' to designate one more tile for channelling. Once it has been dug out, build floor grates on top and zone one of the grated tiles as a pond. Dwarfs should attempt to fill the tiles below with water, providing clean water close to the hospital. There are many variations of how to do this.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: January 04, 2020, 11:06:37 am »

Basically that, but you will probably want to bring the water with a pump to "clean" it first, since the above ground pools are stagnant water which increase the chance of infection when used to clean wounds.

Make a hole, dig your reservoir, put a well any amount of z-levels above the pool and done. Also check the wiki article if you haven't done already, the illustration helps a lot.
In a time before time, I had a name.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: January 09, 2020, 05:43:43 am »

I've been returning back to Dwarf Fortress, since I'm incapable of being patient for the Steam release anymore, and I'm currently learning about minecarts...

Here's the question: Can the minecarts move so fast, that they'll go off rails and hit a wall/dwarf/random creature/whatever?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3940 on: January 09, 2020, 07:28:09 am »

Yes. Minecart physics work 90% like you'd expect them to work in the real world, meaning you can go full roller-coaster tycoon if you'd so please. As per wiki, put in a wall when you'd like to prevent derailing.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: January 25, 2020, 02:26:12 pm »

I know this is gonna be a really stupid question, but is there an "easy" way to get magma when it's like 50 layers below my fort? Or am I just "screwed"?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: January 25, 2020, 03:29:03 pm »

Build stuff down at the magma rather than pump it up.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: January 25, 2020, 09:38:11 pm »

Look through the DFWiki magma page suggestions. 

If magma is only wanted for workshops  I suggest using/modifying http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Magma#Design_3:_Minimalist_magma_moving to be probably the easiest - two wheelbarrow loads = enough for one workshop.  If on the other had you want lots of magma (obsidian farming, overpowered death trap, etc) then pump stacks it is.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: January 30, 2020, 10:55:48 pm »

What's the optimal size of farm plot per citizen? Ideally the goal is to create enough crops to keep everyone fed and drunk, but not overproduce and flood all stockpiles with tens of thousands of prepared meals, as usually seems to happen.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 268