Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 436660 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3990 on: April 24, 2020, 07:36:06 pm »

Thanks guys for the answers. It seems there may not be an easy answer, lol. I've always liked games with inner workings that keep the players guessing, so it's no problem that this stays a bit of a mystery.  Nobody touched on the question of anything in the raws though (maybe raws wasn't the proper term, but I mean in the game's files in general).
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: April 25, 2020, 12:32:35 pm »

Nobody touched on the question of anything in the raws though (maybe raws wasn't the proper term, but I mean in the game's files in general).

Actually Fleeting Frames' excellent (dare I say comprehensive?) reply did:
Any reaction works.

cf: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Reaction

OT: but
paper having quality level (that ends up not mattering)

But only if you make codices.  ;)  Typical DF bug for a functionally useless mechanic.  If you leave them as quires then quality does indeed matter.  8)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: April 26, 2020, 09:28:39 am »

I am so totally confused about Altars/offering places. I have a bunch of dwarves who are pissed they can't worship, so I made and built a number of altars in various spots. But I can't interact with them other than renaming them. is this correct game behavior? Can I designate them for a single deity? How do they work? how are they supposed to work?

I can't find anything about them online either - the df wiki does not have a complete page for them. Thanks!
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: April 26, 2020, 11:42:25 am »

I am so totally confused about Altars/offering places. I have a bunch of dwarves who are pissed they can't worship, so I made and built a number of altars in various spots. But I can't interact with them other than renaming them. is this correct game behavior? Can I designate them for a single deity? How do they work? how are they supposed to work?

I can't find anything about them online either - the df wiki does not have a complete page for them. Thanks!

Dwarfs worship at Temples.  Making one and leaving it dedicated to no specific god should likely do the trick.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:44:03 am by feelotraveller »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: April 27, 2020, 10:12:55 pm »

@feelotraveller: In the cases of quires/scrolls, it takes just material from sheet, not quality, i.e. quire can have different quality level from sheets used in it (and it has no decorations either, so the quality of sheet ends up discarded). Scroll roller quality seems to be kept at glance, however. (In the case of codices, writing becoms a decoration with quire material, and it rolls using Accomplished (10) skill, poking with dfhack (at least when the dwarf bookbinding doesn't have skills that high)).

@Uthimienure: Didn't see the question edited in. Raws are just text files, so you can search them with any text editor I've ever used...But this is probably not what you meant, so you might want to reclarify.

@nightwhisps: Altars presently don't have unique unction in fort mode temples, afaik.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3995 on: April 28, 2020, 07:23:08 am »

Fun fact: They also don't do anything in adventurer mode. The dice are always on pedestals, which makes me think toady realized that altar contents are also subject to the scattering code and thus changed that at the last moment.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: April 28, 2020, 07:35:45 am »

@Uthimienure: Didn't see the question edited in. Raws are just text files, so you can search them with any text editor I've ever used...But this is probably not what you meant, so you might want to reclarify.

Wow, thanks for your diligence, it's above and beyond!  You're right, I'll try to clarify, but my understanding of the raws is very basic. Yes, I know they are text files and how to find them and search them. I've done minor editing and looked at them to try to learn things at times, but nothing in-depth.

Clarification:
What I was looking for is a list of any job/task that would satisfy the need to craft an item. I'm wondering if there was a specific "tag" or term that I could search the files for in order to compile a list. But from the replies that were given, I'm guessing it would be several different tags/terms and that also, there may not be a clear-cut answer. Anyhow, no problem, it's not a huge deal and can be dropped.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: April 28, 2020, 03:09:27 pm »

How do I tell what, in my stocks, is currently IN USE by dwarves? I want to dedicate some iron junk I bought from the humans for melting, but I can't tell what's being worn and what's not.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: April 28, 2020, 04:40:25 pm »

I'm not sure how with weapons and iron toy boats.  But if it's iron armor from the human caravan, all of it is too large for dwarves to wear so you can safely melt it all.  Anything with the "large" prefix that is. 

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: April 28, 2020, 05:14:30 pm »

The stocks menu does not have a way to differentiate between items worn or not worn by your dwarfs. I keep a group of stockpiles that accept low-quality metal items and use 'd' 'b' 'm' over the stockpiles.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: April 29, 2020, 08:43:15 am »

I understand that dwarves assign a higher personal value to owned furniture made with preferred materials or images. Can anyone tell me if this also factors into envy calculations of some other dwarf's possessions?

If a dwarf has multiple rooms (e.g I assign the "Mayor's Suite" to the new mayor without removing their old bedroom) do they consider the highest value room or total of all rooms? I'd like to do Nice ThingsTM for certain citizens and it's possible that the basic room could end up being greater than the differential between grades of nobility.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4001 on: April 29, 2020, 09:16:16 am »

I didn't even know dwarves could have multiple bedrooms, I thought it just unassigns the previous room?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: April 29, 2020, 11:27:30 am »

Nope, a dwarf can have multiple (a)ssigned rooms. I even double checked because I had read it from the wiki and never paid that much attention in game, so now I've seen it for myself.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: April 30, 2020, 04:59:50 pm »

Dwarves get the good feeling from the room they use, not for owning it. When multiple rooms assigned, chance exist dwarf uses worst room. Better to free the worst rooms in most situations.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: April 30, 2020, 06:17:45 pm »

My plan calls for making as many bedrooms "Royal" as I can spare the material for decorations so I'm less worried about emotions. (Although you're right, I'll have to keep an eye on that while I'm still in the process of building things.) I'm trying to check on noble room snobs, whether a duke or a king needs a whole extra royal room's worth on top of that or if they will be satisfied with just a smidgen better than everyone lower on the pecking order.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268