Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435999 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2014, 10:38:13 pm »

Does claiming a site in adventure mode have any actual consequence or is it just there with little resulting purpose? Also, I've claimed the site 3 times in a row now, each time I say that I claim it by shouting, and everyone says "It was inevitable" Or something along those lines.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2014, 11:01:59 pm »

What is the thrice damned point of bucklers?
I'm going to say there no point. Yet.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2014, 11:05:57 pm »

What is the thrice damned point of bucklers?
I'm going to say there no point. Yet.
I thought they worked as shields, but I've never tried it. KINDOFEDIT: Wiki says they are like crappier shields.

CourierSix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2014, 12:18:06 am »

Sry to spam but i'm having a little trouble. Iv been playing the game for about a week and i'm on my second playthrough.

Wanted to know though. I can't seem to cage trap traders. Is there something i'm doing wrong? I wanted to make a "zoo" with one of each species but Elven caravans seem to walk past my trap. Is there any way to fix this? I rather not go to war with the entire elf civilization, just rather i capture the first group of traders.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2014, 12:27:28 am »

Sry to spam but i'm having a little trouble. Iv been playing the game for about a week and i'm on my second playthrough.

Wanted to know though. I can't seem to cage trap traders. Is there something i'm doing wrong? I wanted to make a "zoo" with one of each species but Elven caravans seem to walk past my trap. Is there any way to fix this? I rather not go to war with the entire elf civilization, just rather i capture the first group of traders.
IIRC, cage traps catch only hostiles and unconcious people. Try to knock them out somehow.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2014, 12:55:30 am »

Why, even though I have a proper weapon and shield, do I mostly kick, punch, and bite people when I use the default attack? I've tried changing my combat settings to 'strike', 'close combat', etc. with no luck.

It's possible that your skill in striking/wrestling/kicking/biting is higher than your weapon skill. I had the same problem in the arena when I set dwarves to grandmaster everything. They didn't use their weapons much, sometimes not at all. Still managed to almost beat a dragon senseless with good enough equipment and luck, but that's not part of this discussion, is it? Heh...

Yep, it's also worth checking the bottom right of the screen. It should list your weapon. It's possible you dropped it or sheathed it by pressing q, as Lemunde said. (Easy to check in another way, press A (shift+a) and see if you have your weapon listed in ways to attack.)
My weapons is both equipped and my axe skill is expert vs. dabbling wrestler and no striker. Yet still I'm punching and grabbing people. I don't even have any free hands.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2014, 01:17:06 am »

Why, even though I have a proper weapon and shield, do I mostly kick, punch, and bite people when I use the default attack? I've tried changing my combat settings to 'strike', 'close combat', etc. with no luck.

It's possible that your skill in striking/wrestling/kicking/biting is higher than your weapon skill. I had the same problem in the arena when I set dwarves to grandmaster everything. They didn't use their weapons much, sometimes not at all. Still managed to almost beat a dragon senseless with good enough equipment and luck, but that's not part of this discussion, is it? Heh...

Yep, it's also worth checking the bottom right of the screen. It should list your weapon. It's possible you dropped it or sheathed it by pressing q, as Lemunde said. (Easy to check in another way, press A (shift+a) and see if you have your weapon listed in ways to attack.)
My weapons is both equipped and my axe skill is expert vs. dabbling wrestler and no striker. Yet still I'm punching and grabbing people. I don't even have any free hands.

Isn't there a weapon limitation or something for non-escalated combat?  Pulling out the battleaxe for a friendly bar fight seems wrong.  I never play adventurer mode though, so I have no idea how to tell you to look for what the escalation level of a fight is.

This is adventurer mode you are asking about, right?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2014, 10:58:35 am »

Another question, how does one speak to an individual in Adventure mode? I'm trying to speak to this swordsman to try and recruit him but I can only shout to everyone, and for some reason that still only gets a response from one person.
"zzz"

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2014, 11:13:25 am »

Another question, how does one speak to an individual in Adventure mode? I'm trying to speak to this swordsman to try and recruit him but I can only shout to everyone, and for some reason that still only gets a response from one person.
You move the cursor over him after pressing 'k'. It should get you the choice of the creatures on that tile to talk to, no matter their race/hostility/anything.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2014, 11:58:09 am »

So, I reclaimed a site. And I just got an ambush. Except there is only one people in that ambush, a dwarf, a baroness, which is 'Hostile', yet does not attack anybody (and when my military dwarf is next to it, he doesn't attack her either).
I'm guessing (guessing, so not sure), that it's a former dwarf of the fort that stayed here, and that since I'm not of the same civ, she's hostile. Should I kill her (I'm tending towards yes, because she's a noble) or let her here ? Is there a risk of an invasion if I attack another civ ?

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2014, 12:38:45 pm »

So, I reclaimed a site. And I just got an ambush. Except there is only one people in that ambush, a dwarf, a baroness, which is 'Hostile', yet does not attack anybody (and when my military dwarf is next to it, he doesn't attack her either).
I'm guessing (guessing, so not sure), that it's a former dwarf of the fort that stayed here, and that since I'm not of the same civ, she's hostile. Should I kill her (I'm tending towards yes, because she's a noble) or let her here ? Is there a risk of an invasion if I attack another civ ?

Being merely of different civs doesn't not result in hostilities, unless they're at war (Don't quote me on that though, not sure). Might be a bug though.
"zzz"

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2014, 12:43:03 pm »

Gotta love the bugs in this version.
I would advise aganst attacking her if she is not doing anything, as it may result in a loyalty cascade. Though, if she's in the ambush, then an invasion will come.
It could be that she was kidnapped by the goblins and still inherited the title in the civ though.
Interesting occasion, you should look for similar bugs in the bug tracker and see what others did in the situation. Still, I think that if your dwarves don't attack, then ordering a kill would be like attacking a merchant and it may have more serious effects.
You could try caging her though. Build a cage trap next to her and see if she falls in. That would be an easy and clean solution.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2014, 02:11:13 pm »

I heard there is an option to unretire retired adventurers, but I don't see a way to do it. I've searched on the internet and found nothing.
So how do i unretire retired adventurers?
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2014, 02:23:01 pm »

I have a Miner who has no job, and is climbing in trees, but he still has a designation to dig a staircase. What is wrong with him?

Nevermind, it was me doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:28:17 pm by Alev »

adanos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2014, 02:31:41 pm »

I do not track forum too often. - Is Toady going to finally fix Crossbowmans? All those issues with picking ammo from bins and refilling quivers.. This makes me
apathetic..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 268