Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440059 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 27, 2014, 01:21:46 pm »

I've been playing in the default text mode and I recently made the mistake of engraving my fort's central area. The white engraved tiles give me eyestrain at just a glance. Is there any way to tone them down or revert them to the smoothed stone appearance?   

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 27, 2014, 01:31:03 pm »

I've been playing in the default text mode and I recently made the mistake of engraving my fort's central area. The white engraved tiles give me eyestrain at just a glance. Is there any way to tone them down or revert them to the smoothed stone appearance?

From the wiki:
Floor engravings of unsatisfactory quality (e.g. Carvings of elephants mauling dwarves) can be removed by designating the carving of minecart Tracks over them. The tracks can then be removed by smoothing the stone, which results in fresh smooth stone tiles ready for another attempt at engraving

Though, make sure those are not masterwork engravings. Or if they are, that the engraver has made plenty more elsewhere. Destroying masterworks causes bad thoughts.

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 27, 2014, 01:45:09 pm »

There is the option in the raws to set the default behavior of engravings, but that refers to whether or not it uses images as opposed to the normal + symbols. Other than that, i would suggest you do the trick suggested above or turn down your monitor brightness. I think there's a game mechanic to hide/unhide the engravings somewhere but i haven't played in a while so i cant remember the keybindings.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 27, 2014, 02:03:12 pm »

You just want to hide the myriad of engraved images? Use [d] > [v] Toggle Engravings in the designate menu to hide/unhide them. The dwarves will still see them, but you won't. Completely removing engravings is probably best left to hated vermin designs, like when an artist decides to cover a noble's room with spiders and that noble absolutely detests spiders...  :D

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2014, 03:27:56 pm »

I've dug straight down and hit some "semi-molten rock".

Where did all the magma go?

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 27, 2014, 03:43:50 pm »

Hehehehe...  :-X

You can look up Semi-Molten Rock on the wiki, but I don't recommend it until after you've discovered for yourself. Huge spoilers! You've reached the beginning of the end. As most people would say, the Hidden Fun Stuff, or HFS. Don't dig too greedily unless you want a super !Fun! time.  :P

Mister Adams,

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2014, 03:50:00 pm »

You can look up Semi-Molten Rock on the wiki, but I don't recommend it until after you've discovered for yourself. Huge spoilers! You've reached the beginning of the end. As most people would say, the Hidden Fun Stuff, or HFS. Don't dig too greedily unless you want a super !Fun! time.  :P

My problem here is that I literally do not know where to find any magma :/

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2014, 03:52:49 pm »

It's possible that you have dug straight past the magma sea.

Try looking around the caverns for any magma tubes. Or dig around a bit on some higher levels.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2014, 04:07:22 pm »

Oh! I see! Sorry, I thought you were asking why the magma turned to semi-molten rock.
And yeah, like BlackFlyme said, you probably just went past it a few levels. I'm sure it's somewhere around.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:09:33 pm by Spectre Incarnate »
Mister Adams,

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 27, 2014, 06:16:41 pm »

It's possible that you have dug straight past the magma sea.

When I hit SMR, I like to go up about 5 levels, dig horizontally about 5 or 10 tiles, then drop another Up/Down stairwell.  Repeat until I find warm stone instead of SMR.  Then dig carefully around the warm stone until I have a pretty good idea where to pierce it safely.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

JayXdbX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2014, 08:09:21 am »

Hi so i'm having a strange problem. I'm on year 2 or 3 and i haven't gotten any migrants what so ever. I just created this world using 40.05 version which i believe removed the hard coded waves. haven't exactly been focusing on my mug production but i've made a total of 4 bins worth (granted not all at once.)

Did i just hit a bug or am i just doing this wrong.

edit
Creative wealth is right now at 37k
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:15:48 am by JayXdbX »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 28, 2014, 08:37:18 am »

I've read a few reports from others that migrant waves can take until the second year or later now.  That's pretty interesting since Toady didn't mention such a change specifically, but he did mention working on the population cap bug.  Maybe it's related to that somehow?  In any case I wouldn't jump to call it a bug unless you get no migrants ever.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 28, 2014, 08:42:15 am »

Does being "Overcome by terror" for a long time rise the Discipline skill?

To answer my own question, yes, yes it does.

I now have a vampire with a Legendary Discipline level.

And he's still running away in terror.

JayXdbX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:02 am »

So to answer my own question, it seems when i copied DF 40.05 over to my lazy noob pack, that i over ride (this grammar is killing me) the Ini file.
Why is this important you may ask? Because right now the game thinks i have a population cap of 0, while LNP think it's 100 or something like that.
Anyways from what i'm reading you just click the population limit button a few times and it should fix it self. I'll test this out later.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #254 on: July 28, 2014, 11:25:07 am »

I've read a few reports from others that migrant waves can take until the second year or later now.  That's pretty interesting since Toady didn't mention such a change specifically, but he did mention working on the population cap bug.  Maybe it's related to that somehow?  In any case I wouldn't jump to call it a bug unless you get no migrants ever.

Toady's quote on his popcap fix in the bugtracker:
I've tried to make this a little more useful, and it should control migrant waves now, to the point of preventing families that are too large from coming and also stopping generated families from bringing children and so on. Monarch arrival can still break the cap, but that should be an isolated event. I also added another cap that will stop fort births from violating the cap, and set the defaults to 200/220.

Popcap is also controlled by the two init settings, one the old one, and the other the strict one.

But no clue how that affects migrants. Maybe they are like the Liaison now? That migrant waves have to cme fro somewhere, and sorta get sidetracked?

That'll make dead-civ forts really hard(or ideal, for those generational fort-nuts).

Edit: apparantly people have been overwriting their init_d files, not realising that the strict pop-cap has been added. This results in the strict pop-cap being 0, and thus no imigrants.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:59:43 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 268