Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435408 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #255 on: July 28, 2014, 12:00:10 pm »

So to answer my own question, it seems when i copied DF 40.05 over to my lazy noob pack, that i over ride (this grammar is killing me) the Ini file.

Extracting part of one version of Dwarf Fortress into another version's directory is generally a bad idea.  You have to know precisely what you're doing to mix versions together, and even then only very specific mixtures will work.

The only thing that's guaranteed to work is copying a saved game from 0.40.03 or 0.40.04 into 0.40.05.  For everything else, you should re-apply your changes to the files, one by one.  E.g. if you changed the graphical FPS cap in init.txt, don't copy the old init.txt file into the new directory.  Edit the new init.txt file directly, and redo each change.  If you overwrite the file, you'll lose all the new settings.

If you depend on a third party bundle (starter pack or whatever), you should wait until that bundle is updated.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:01:42 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2014, 05:24:06 pm »

Is there a way to disable the strange mood skill gain dwarfs receive upon completion of an artifact?
Alternatively, is it possible to make possession the only kind of strange mood that can happen to your dwarfs?

I ask because I like artifacts, but dislike the bonus skill gain you get from making them.(for me the artifact is enough of a reward.)
I'd rather not turn artifacts off completely if possible.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 28, 2014, 07:10:21 pm »

I have a noticed a couple of times that my FPS will drop dramatically, and stay pretty low. Last time it happened was when I genned a small world, with less than 150 years of history. Very shortly after the first migrant wave, My FPS dropped from about 80-90 to under 20. From then on it fluctuated from around 20-40. Nothing has changed that I can see. Anyone else experience this? I think I'm going to have to abandon this one too.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2014, 08:58:47 pm »

So can I do anything w/ the new trees and stuff? Like the pollen? Or any nut farms or anything?

NobleNecromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 28, 2014, 10:38:57 pm »

So can I do anything w/ the new trees and stuff? Like the pollen? Or any nut farms or anything?

At the moment, no, but Toady has expressed an interests to fixing that.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2014, 12:49:52 am »

Why is Urist McVampire with Legendary Discipline still "overcome by terror" regardless of whether he is on-duty or off-duty, apparently running away from an undead, the same undead that dwarves with half his discipline engaged without running, and one he can't even see?

Sherlock70

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2014, 01:44:02 am »

Why is Urist McVampire with Legendary Discipline still "overcome by terror" regardless of whether he is on-duty or off-duty, apparently running away from an undead, the same undead that dwarves with half his discipline engaged without running, and one he can't even see?
Severe trauma?

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2014, 04:44:28 am »

Did 40.05 fix dwarves standing on constructions they are trying to remove? It seems I've had a couple dwarven children fall multiple levels from my construction tower; either that or they were hit by falling debris?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 29, 2014, 05:15:40 am »

Does the output block of a screwpump power up as well as down when powered?

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2014, 05:23:56 am »

> Does the output block of a screwpump power up as well as down when powered?

Yes, I've used this in numerous pump stack designs where the power can come in half way up the stack.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2014, 09:39:32 am »

There are also personality traits that affect this.  Looks for the BRAVERY ones on the wiki page, then try to find one of those in the vampire's thoughts screen.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 29, 2014, 01:53:53 pm »

There are also personality traits that affect this.  Looks for the BRAVERY ones on the wiki page, then try to find one of those in the vampire's thoughts screen.

It's a good guess, but he looks pretty average: http://i.imgur.com/cAm1gA0.png
The only thing out of the ordinary is that he's extremely single-minded, but bravery isn't mentioned at all. Fun fact: being locked up in a room for a year removed the "good creativity" trait from him.

I wish I could just "reset" his brain somehow.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 29, 2014, 02:08:33 pm »

It's a good guess, but he looks pretty average: http://i.imgur.com/cAm1gA0.png
The only thing out of the ordinary is that he's extremely single-minded, but bravery isn't mentioned at all. Fun fact: being locked up in a room for a year removed the "good creativity" trait from him.

I wish I could just "reset" his brain somehow.

You could try "Ye Olde Dwarven Methode": Close him a room and drop corpses/live-but-useless creatures next to him. It might make his nerves turn into 'Ye Olde Steele" or break him totally.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 29, 2014, 04:02:33 pm »

Did 40.05 fix dwarves standing on constructions they are trying to remove? It seems I've had a couple dwarven children fall multiple levels from my construction tower; either that or they were hit by falling debris?
It should have, yeah (though older constructions from before 40.05 might still exhibit the problem).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 29, 2014, 04:19:33 pm »

It should have, yeah (though older constructions from before 40.05 might still exhibit the problem).

This is kind of the opposite problem. I'm not trying to construct anything, i'm *removing* constructions.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 268