Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435518 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #585 on: October 21, 2014, 12:46:02 pm »

(Sorry about the previous question, TEMPERATURE was off in the d_init :P)

This is a finely-crafted large rose cut yellow diamond. It is decorated with reindeer antler. This object is showing some wear.

It's also been !!burning!! for about an entire year now after I switched TEMPERATURE back on. Is this supposed to be normal? The room is sealed completely btw, not sure if that affects it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 21, 2014, 12:49:25 pm »

(Sorry about the previous question, TEMPERATURE was off in the d_init :P)

This is a finely-crafted large rose cut yellow diamond. It is decorated with reindeer antler. This object is showing some wear.

It's also been !!burning!! for about an entire year now after I switched TEMPERATURE back on. Is this supposed to be normal? The room is sealed completely btw, not sure if that affects it.

Sounds buggy, but lignite burns for about  months.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Lignite
For the record, I have never seen lignite actually burn its life
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 21, 2014, 01:24:23 pm »

Does anybody know why dwarves wont typically start wars?  They defend quite well, but usually arent aggressors themselves.  Elves have no issue doing such things . . .

Until you start adventure mode or fort mode and they just absolutely fail at defending.

No idea anyway, in the various worldgens I've done for adventure mode, I've never seen one which started a war. It's probably a bug, but someone would have to do some research to see why they're not starting wars.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 21, 2014, 01:45:47 pm »

Does anybody know why dwarves wont typically start wars?  They defend quite well, but usually arent aggressors themselves.  Elves have no issue doing such things . . .

Until you start adventure mode or fort mode and they just absolutely fail at defending.

No idea anyway, in the various worldgens I've done for adventure mode, I've never seen one which started a war. It's probably a bug, but someone would have to do some research to see why they're not starting wars.
???  Maybe in your worlds, where they prance like little faeries :P . . . but in my worlds they still come out okay more than not . . . though they do lose more often than last version and are completely passive.

Elves are warmongers, Dwarfs hippie isolationists?

Spoiler: Dwarf1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: dwarf2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: dwarf3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Elf1 (click to show/hide)

And that was a peaceful elven civ, in that they were only minor spats. 

---

In my worlds, more often than not its goblins who are pacifistic or submissive in nature, and elves are most often at war with dwarves.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:48:05 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 21, 2014, 02:11:42 pm »

I was talking about starting wars, not defending and then gaining sites that way.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 21, 2014, 07:13:16 pm »

It's been almost two seasons, and fire is still razing the hills of Nourishedfloors. Any ETA on when will it finally die out? Quarantine is turning into more than a minor hassle right now.

Usually a fire spreads until every grass- or moss-covered tile on the entire Z-level has been burnt, unless there are large physical barriers to stop the spread of the fire.
Or water?

a river is a physical barrier, dunno about rain. You can make dirt roads to stamp down the grass so the fire won't spread
Last time when i was dealing with constant fire i just flooded it using pumps enginnering.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 21, 2014, 07:18:10 pm »

I ignore them, since Im usually the one setting it or I dont want to meet what did.  They will eventually burn out, and since we dont yet have dwarven firefighters . . .  Or convenient ways to start a fire
PKs DF Mod!

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 22, 2014, 04:24:02 am »

Thank you guys for your last answers!

I would have one other question, though. [Edit: Solved!]

A horse died recently in my fortress, due to starvation due to being besieged by necros in my first year. I would like to butcher it before it is raised from the dead, but nothing happens.

Facts:
Idle dwarves with "Butchery" and "Haul Refuse" available
The yet unrotten corpse
A job in the butchery (created by myself)
Haul refuse in the outside in the standing orders activated
The corpse forbidden and reclaimed
The corpse moved to dump, moved into a refuse pile (which is promptly done when I move the pile)
All relevant piles are very nearby, i.e. 5 tiles or less, from the butchery.

What happens?
Job cancellation, error message "Needs butcherable unrotten item nearby"

Any ideas?
[Reading the wiki helps. Tame creatures must be slaughtered alive and cannot be butchered ...]

Thanks for your input!
Cheers,
Cat
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:29:10 am by CatKate »

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 22, 2014, 01:19:09 pm »

Since I haven't found any discussion in the thread on it recently... has anyone figured out/has it changed so that there's any use for plants like garlic and lentils? Or do they just take up space? I noticed the wiki says they can't be eaten, or cooked, or anything.

Also, what counts as a fruit for brewing purposes? Anyone know? Because I haven't yet seen that option come up (although I haven't been playing .40.* very long, since I was waiting to get a new computer that won't kill my forts right away from FPS death).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 22, 2014, 01:23:44 pm »

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BULB:FRUIT_TEMPLATE] not a bud or fruit, grows on stem
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[STOCKPILE_PLANT_GROWTH]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[SEED:garlic seed:garlic seeds:0:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[FREQUENCY:50]
garlic can be cooked and eaten, and both their seeds can be.

anywho  adding
      [EDIBLE_RAW]
      [EDIBLE_COOKED]
to any material will allow it to be edible either raw or cook, respectively.

adding
      [STOCKPILE_PLANT_GROWTH]
presumably lets it be stored in the flood stockpile as edible crap.
PKs DF Mod!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 22, 2014, 03:24:28 pm »

Also, what counts as a fruit for brewing purposes? Anyone know? Because I haven't yet seen that option come up

Last time I played, the only way to get brewable fruits was to bring them with you on embark, or to buy them from elves.  I think the next release after 0.40.13 is supposed to fix fruits, or at least some of them.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 22, 2014, 03:35:54 pm »

Ah, so it's specifically tree fruits, not berries and such. Gotcha.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 23, 2014, 06:26:14 am »

I had my not so well equipped but tough as hell (and quick to heal) militia commander accidentally drop 16 z levels on an obsidian floor (I have seen ogres and trolls die to that fall). Surviving the fall with lots of broken bones (both arms and legs some multiple, left shoulder, minor stuff) - resulting in me hastily setting up wells, hospital and soap industry. Now, almost a year later, she is completely healed of wounds seen on the description screen, but one wound (shoulder) got infected in the process - I was late w/ the soap I guess.

What will happen with the infection? Is there a chance for it to go away - will it stay - or will it eventually kill her?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 23, 2014, 06:34:43 am »

Infections are pretty permanent and may be deadly.  Once caught they  cannot be cured and can kill, even if years later.  Luckily though, itappears to be a pretty low chance.  Im not sure I can count on one hand how many dwarves die of infection outside the hospital
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 23, 2014, 07:28:33 am »

Some infections will go away on their own eventually.  There's nothing you can do in game to help it once it's there, but sometimes they'll cure themselves.  I believe it's related to the healing rate of the tissue that's infected, as well as healing rate of the dwarf in general.  Because of that, tissues that don't naturally heal (such as finger nails and noses) will never recover once infected and can lead to death.  Tissues that normally heal aren't as dangerous, but can still lead to death if you're unlucky.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 268