Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435542 times)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #600 on: October 24, 2014, 02:43:36 am »

I haven't played in quite a while, so this is my first venture into this version.  One thing I noticed right away is that instead of taking the plants to the food stockpile and putting them in a barrel there, my herbalist dwarfs are brilliantly hauling the barrel all the way to where they found a small onion plant(or whatever), putting it in the barrel, then hauling the barrel all the way back -- is there anything I can do about this aside from laughing at them? 

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 24, 2014, 07:41:17 am »

my herbalist dwarfs are brilliantly hauling the barrel all the way to where they found a small onion plant(or whatever), putting it in the barrel, then hauling the barrel all the way back -- is there anything I can do about this aside from laughing at them?

Disable barrels in your "accept from anywhere" plant stockpile.  Have that stockpile give to other stockpiles, which may or may not allow barrels, depending on your preferences.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:30 am »

Hi.  what does this mean, in context?  Im baffled that social evolution is happening to my adventurer and I could have easily missed that little remark.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-background:

-Ive killed allies before as this character.  The dummy wouldnt take out the crutch I gave him so I stabbitied his head until he dropped it.
-I was just ambushed by (very) poor raiders.  We (mostly I) murderated them handily.
-I have 50 names kills to my name, and they are relatively new to my company (if you disregard fast traveling through 1/8 of the world new)
-I trade them things regularly as payment and am always bragging about my kills.
-He recently took a nasty bolt to his hand, and it lost grasping functionality.

My question relates more to what that statement implies.  Am I asserting dominance, cautioning against treachery, or advising him to take is easy?  Its clearly a social evolution of our relationship, but how much do we know about that?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 24, 2014, 10:01:51 am »

I am currently hunting a Giant Slug with my crossbowmendwarves. I find it hilarious that the slug in fact can "jump away from the flying <highwood bolt> ... but to my question:

The fight is happening in the great outside, no walls, no nothing, except a few trees. My dwarves open fire while they are quite far away ... but continue to approach the thing until they are in melee range! While this is no real problem against the slug, it will be against anything that is able to strike back. Is this behaviour normal? Or how can I stop them approaching that closely? They all have bolts left in their quiver, and they are NOT doing any melee attacks, but getting so close seems not the right thing to do ...

Thanks for your input!
Cheers,
Cat
{watching a poor dwarf hauling a corpse <Giant Slug> to the butchery, moving one tile every five seconds or so ...}

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 24, 2014, 10:12:06 am »

I am currently hunting a Giant Slug with my crossbowmendwarves. I find it hilarious that the slug in fact can "jump away from the flying <highwood bolt> ... but to my question:

The fight is happening in the great outside, no walls, no nothing, except a few trees. My dwarves open fire while they are quite far away ... but continue to approach the thing until they are in melee range! While this is no real problem against the slug, it will be against anything that is able to strike back. Is this behaviour normal? Or how can I stop them approaching that closely? They all have bolts left in their quiver, and they are NOT doing any melee attacks, but getting so close seems not the right thing to do ...

Thanks for your input!
Cheers,
Cat
{watching a poor dwarf hauling a corpse <Giant Slug> to the butchery, moving one tile every five seconds or so ...}
They may not all have bolts, may have run out of bolts, or may feel they have more skill smashing things with their hammer skill than shooting.

They also may not be properly equipped (i.e. you gave them a second weapon, and they picked up that before their crossbow, causing them be be unable to fire)

---

Check their inventories, esp their quivers.  If they have bolts review their uniforms and if they dont all have bolts consider allotting more bolts for them. 
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 24, 2014, 10:12:55 am »

Oh, and one more question:
Where can I look up the exploits my dwarves did? I always thought they would be listed in the "Thoughts and preferences" screen, but for example the fight with the slug is not listed on any of my dwarves' screen ... Or do only weapons get such a "kill listing"? Would be weird if weapons got it and dwarves didn't ...

Thank you!
Cheers,
Cat

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 24, 2014, 10:29:38 am »

Hey pisskop, thank you very much for your answer!

The dwarves after combat:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So no hammerers at all, the only melee skills with No.#4 dwarf and these only defensives, all had bolts and none had melees weapons. Maybe some trees obscured line of sights so the dwarves felt compelled to approach with each loss of LOS?

Cheers.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 24, 2014, 05:31:49 pm »

Where can I look up the exploits my dwarves did? I always thought they would be listed in the "Thoughts and preferences" screen, but for example the fight with the slug is not listed on any of my dwarves' screen ... Or do only weapons get such a "kill listing"? Would be weird if weapons got it and dwarves didn't ...

If the dwarf is credited with a kill, it will be shown in a new section of the Thoughts & Preferences screen.  Otherwise, that particular screen doesn't show fights the dwarf has been in.  You'd need to review the combat reports for that (and those expire after a little while).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 25, 2014, 10:54:49 am »

Are war-trained drunians and crundles a good idea for a fort, or should I just butcher them?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 25, 2014, 11:03:55 am »

Are war-trained drunians and crundles a good idea for a fort, or should I just butcher them?
Given the size of crundles Id say no, but if you want them theyd be no worse than dingos.  Or imo, at least.

Drunians are better suited for it.
PKs DF Mod!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 25, 2014, 03:47:11 pm »

Some of my animals are randomly bleeding to death/being found dead, with no combat logs!

I have recently fought a forgotten beast, in which everyone that was fighting him mysteriously died a couple of seconds after the FB died. But this started happening 3 months after I dealt with the FB!

The FB had deadly dust, that was both a frozen extract, and a boiling extract. The dust appeared as frozen extract, but reported it in the combat logs as boiling extract, and only the frozen extract was left on the dwarves' items.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 25, 2014, 03:52:00 pm »

Some of my animals are randomly bleeding to death/being found dead, with no combat logs!

I have recently fought a forgotten beast, in which everyone that was fighting him mysteriously died a couple of seconds after the FB died. But this started happening 3 months after I dealt with the FB!

The FB had deadly dust, that was both a frozen extract, and a boiling extract. The dust appeared as frozen extract, but reported it in the combat logs as boiling extract, and only the frozen extract was left on the dwarves' items.

It can spread, which may be happening.  A dwarf grabs that dust covered knife, and puts it in the stockpile.  Now its on the weapons, and his glove.

He takes off the glove and puts it in the common room, and a hauler puts the weapon into a bin.  Now its on the glove of the hauler, in the common room, and on the gauntlet of the new militia member who takes that weapon.

A flood happens in the common room, or some bleeding dog comes by.  The blood pools up, and the dog who steps in the tile with the glove gets some on his paw.  The blood leaks off him and spreads blood laced with FB dust that way.

It can be nasty, and on of the easiest way to stop it is to decontaminate everything with a trench or a controlled flood.  You dont have to drain the water, so long as all the extract gets shoved onto a wall.  But grates and bars are the best, they filter the stuff out, an afterwards you can deconstruct, reconstruct it to clean it off.
PKs DF Mod!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 25, 2014, 04:34:57 pm »

-snip-
I found some extract on my swordmaster's hood, but he doesn't seem to be affected by it.

Wasn't it something like this that ruined battlefailed?

Edit: A bunch of cats are dying, and they're all covered in dwarf blood...

Edit2: A ton of dogs and cats just died within a minute, and now a dwarf is throwing a tantrum! I have no means of causing a controlled flood in my fort, because of the layout, any kind of flood would do MASSIVE damage.

Edit3: That tantruming dwarf just one-shot a fish cleaner while he was sleeping...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:26:24 pm by tonnot98 »
Meow.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 25, 2014, 05:18:02 pm »

I've got a grand total of two plump helmet spawn planted among my four farming plots... There's a pile of seeds in a stockpile, with no stockpile links, and no stockpile has ever been linked to the farms. Yet it insists that I don't have plump helmet seeds. :( How fix?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53:23 pm »

Could be a lot of things.

-Make sure you have enough dwarfs with the appropriate labor(s) that aren't doing stuff like, say, hauling jobs. Or other farming-related tasks. Or whatever.

-Make sure nothing's forbidden - the plots, the seeds, the containers for the seeds, whatever.

-I tend to not allow barrels in my seed stockpiles, because it makes the jobs even more impossible - it's bad enough that one bag of seeds that's currently being used or put into a stockpile or whatever doesn't "register" for dwarfs looking to do the planting job, but if that bag happens to be in a barrel, with a bunch of other seed bags, and the whole barrel is being carried/stocked/whatever... yeah, bad.

-Make sure the plots and seeds are both accessible. (Probably, if you have two planted, but you never know).

-Probably various other things I'm not thinking of atm since it's like almost midnight and I'm tired.

I'm guessing it's probably that you have barrels in the stockpile, or the bags are being passed around more than usual, or whatever, since that sounds like the issue when it doesn't seem to recognize that the seeds exist. But you never know.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 268