Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438912 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #630 on: October 27, 2014, 03:30:55 pm »

Digging diagonally upwards does not seem to work. Am I missing something?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 27, 2014, 04:39:17 pm »

Out of curiosity, has anyone successfully kept bees in the last couple versions? Since I've restarted playing, I haven't managed to get one single hive on my maps, apparently. :/ Am I just unlucky, or are they very rare now, or is it, heh, bugged?

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 27, 2014, 06:10:49 pm »

I have managed to get a little bit of honey and wax, but not a whole lot.  I'll have to do more beekeeping attempts to see how it pans out.

For that matter, how do I stepladder in this newest version? 

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 27, 2014, 07:28:08 pm »

My understanding is that dwarfs will automatically use it to reach things they're supposed to harvest, but I'm not 100% sure. (And also I THINK you place the gathering zone around the base of the tree, not up in the branches where the fruit presumably is, but again, not 100% sure.)

You start off with a stepladder on your embark (unless you remove it from the list of course), and can make more at the carpenters' workshop.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 27, 2014, 09:23:45 pm »

It was one of the first things i've tried in 0.40.14: the new plant "g"ather zone definition (garbage "d"umps have moved to "d") comes with the "G" zone specifications which allow you to order which gathering actions should be done there. By default, dwarfs will pick plant parts (fruits of bushes, leaves of the various "spice" plants etc.), pick up fallen fruit and harvest fruit from tree branches with the help of stepladders. The latter looks like they put the ladder on the floor beneath the tree and then climb up a few levels, "cleaning" the branches of fruit. Picking fallen fruit will also remove the "fruit cover" visuals from the floor.

All those jobs will auto-trigger when the relevant plant parts become available (and when enough ladders are available for plucking).

Beekeeping still works, but bees are not as common in recent versions. I think they're absent from "cold" biomes now and may be rare in temperate ones.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 28, 2014, 03:31:42 am »

All but one or two of my bee'd embarks have been in tropical biomes, so I can vouch for that.

There isn't a "construct stepladder" option on the list in my carpenter's shop.  Could it have anything to do with the fact that I brought these games over from a previous version?  There appear to be stepladder raws in both entity_default and item_tool.

EDIT: Genned a new world which does appear to have stepladder.  Now I just have to figure out how & what to copy-paste into the old save files...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:05:01 am by Badger Storm »

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 28, 2014, 06:30:35 am »

By default, dwarfs will pick plant parts (fruits of bushes, leaves of the various "spice" plants etc.)

does that mean that you no longer need the "process plant to bag" reaction for leaf-bearing plants? what about farmers, will they harvest growth from plants in the same way herbalists do?

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 28, 2014, 07:11:17 am »

I'm having trouble updating my existing saves so they have stepladders in them.  I copied the stepladder stuff from entity_default and item_tool into the old saves, but after rebooting the game, nothing.  When I pasted it into entity_default, it didn't "line up" with the extant tools - the line of text stuck waaaaay out to the left.  Could this have something to do with it not working?  Am I missing something?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 28, 2014, 07:30:46 am »

You can't get stepladders in existing saves (barring maybe intervention from DFHack that's beyond my knowledge), because the game has already assigned the list of available items to your civilization and that isn't repopulated for your fort if you change it in the current save.  Not sure if it will affect new forts in that world or not, but I don't think so.

Most things can be changed in ongoing saves, but adding items and reactions are two big ones that can't be done.

The whitespace formatting in the file doesn't matter much so long as it's on its own line.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 28, 2014, 10:50:05 am »

Digging diagonally upwards does not seem to work. Am I missing something?

it's just not possible
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 29, 2014, 05:07:09 am »

You can't get stepladders in existing saves (barring maybe intervention from DFHack that's beyond my knowledge), because the game has already assigned the list of available items to your civilization and that isn't repopulated for your fort if you change it in the current save.  Not sure if it will affect new forts in that world or not, but I don't think so.

Most things can be changed in ongoing saves, but adding items and reactions are two big ones that can't be done.

The whitespace formatting in the file doesn't matter much so long as it's on its own line.

Badger Storm cancels Reply: Too Disappointed

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 29, 2014, 11:34:47 pm »

Quote from: greycat
Disable barrels in your "accept from anywhere" plant stockpile.  Have that stockpile give to other stockpiles, which may or may not allow barrels, depending on your preferences.

Thank you for this.  I will definitely need to work on a proper 'stockpile chain' and use the give to/take from stuff.  Gotta adjust my setup from what I was used to before. 

Another question that I've seen conflicting information on:  is there a known limit to how high climbers can climb?  I.e., does it do me a good to have a(for example) 3-zlevel high wall, or is that no better than one 1-high? 

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 30, 2014, 01:32:41 am »

i set a zone over land and a mirky pond and also set a pond area (the pond area being a hole and all the tiles around it) to get my dwarves to dump water in for farming. We have buckets but none of the dwarves are doing anything, what am i doing wrong? i usually just farm in soil as is but theres none on this embark

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 30, 2014, 02:46:48 am »

Quote from: greycat
Disable barrels in your "accept from anywhere" plant stockpile.  Have that stockpile give to other stockpiles, which may or may not allow barrels, depending on your preferences.

Thank you for this.  I will definitely need to work on a proper 'stockpile chain' and use the give to/take from stuff.  Gotta adjust my setup from what I was used to before. 

Another question that I've seen conflicting information on:  is there a known limit to how high climbers can climb?  I.e., does it do me a good to have a(for example) 3-zlevel high wall, or is that no better than one 1-high?
It's better when you have higher wall*, but nice trick to make 3 level walls safe is to make them like

==
  ||
  ||
x||

Where x us a goblin, || is just a wall, == is a floor. Still, look out for trees.

Higher that 3 tiles walls are bad for your crossbow mens, because They have short view range.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 30, 2014, 02:48:06 am »

i set a zone over land and a mirky pond and also set a pond area (the pond area being a hole and all the tiles around it) to get my dwarves to dump water in for farming. We have buckets but none of the dwarves are doing anything, what am i doing wrong? i usually just farm in soil as is but theres none on this embark
Have you access to water? Any water source? Is any idle dwarf there?
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 268