Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435343 times)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #645 on: October 30, 2014, 04:26:46 am »

i set a zone over land and a mirky pond and also set a pond area (the pond area being a hole and all the tiles around it) to get my dwarves to dump water in for farming. We have buckets but none of the dwarves are doing anything, what am i doing wrong? i usually just farm in soil as is but theres none on this embark
Have you access to water? Any water source? Is any idle dwarf there?

Ah, i found out the problem was i had to go into the Pond and Pit settings and change it from pit (which it defualts to) to pond. Simple mistake, my bad. After i did that they begun working. I havent been very dwarfy at all so pits and such are foreign to me.

Another question though - why is all stone considered "Outside" at the moment? as of current update when i order stone that's very clearly inside to be dumped (i quantum stack it just for convenience, i hate how messy the halls look otherwise) it simply wont be moved until i order dwarves to gather outside refuse. The garbage dump and stone are always inside, its the exact same method ive used since 40d for stone management so it seems to be a recent problem. Easily fixed though, just wondering why it happens

EDIT: Also - what is with the "Curse of the metalsmith". I have some tamed Dragons, and they are notoriously violent to anyone that comes near them, so i keep my people far far away for now, until we are ready to deal wit hthem. But for some reason my idle metalsmith will wander over and get mauled to death every single time. Why is this? what is it about metalsmiths that want to see dragons? i've lost my fort's arguably most important dwarf (proficient armor and weapon smith) every single embark to this dragons
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:53:07 am by Number7 »

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 30, 2014, 07:21:52 am »

Two questions:

1.  How do I bring my embark profiles over to the new version?  I'll go positively bonkers if I have to do it all from scratch each time.  Just dragging in the folder hasn't worked.

2.  How do I build upward?  I can't seem to put walls on top of walls (it says it's blocked) and I really want to make a ziggurat out of soap.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 30, 2014, 08:44:15 am »

1)  in data/init/somewhere is the embark peofile.txt  copy that to the new version.  worldgen files also there    2)  build upstairs then up/down stair as high as needed.  they support themselves.  Or ramp/wall.  I do stairs.    @ dragons.  cage them if theyre that violent.   pasture them both in special seperate rooms if babytime. 
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 30, 2014, 01:07:35 pm »

Hrm, so what exactly determines whether you get a trade caravan, and when?

On my latest embark I actually *gasp* remembered to check for my neighbors this time, and after ditching a few promising locations because only dwarfs were nearby, I finally found one that had mostly what I wanted, plus dwarfs/elves/humans/goblins in the area.

Fast forward to mid-spring of my third year, and I haven't yet had a caravan or diplomat from something other than dwarfs. (Or goblins, although that's probably all for the best since I've had enough problems vs. nature/the environment and lost a lot of early dwarfs. With the shift in the time the caravans come, elves should have come if they were coming yet this year, not sure about humans yet but they didn't come last year.

So... anyone know what's up? Only the dwarf civilization shows up on my (c)ivs page, but that's not surprising since other ones usually don't show until you actually meet them.

And is there any chance at this point that I'll start seeing the other races, or should I just give it in and gen a new world? (Since this one seemed seriously lacking in the other folks anyhow, in general.)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 30, 2014, 01:21:19 pm »

The only way to know for sure if you'll get other traders is during your site selection by checking who's nearby.  After that you just have to wait.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 30, 2014, 01:27:54 pm »

So... just wait and hope the civs didn't go extinct since I started somehow, and hope I eventually get a group. Gotcha. *crosses fingers*

Also: I'm correct in remembering that things like apricot pits and caper seeds can't be planted as of yet, right?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 30, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »

Losing your weapon/armorsmith? Make a burrow called 'safe area' in the depths of your fortress. Ensure his bed is in there, forge, metal and food / drink stockpiles. Assign him there and never let him leave. :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 30, 2014, 02:08:32 pm »

Looks like it miiiiight end up moot whether or not I have traders nearby anyhow... just had my first siege consisting of a handful of really deadly dwarfs and one goblin. -_- And realized at that point that I'd accidentally neglected most of my defenses in the aforementioned scramble when I had a bunch of my early dwarfs dying.

On a related  note: how do you treat dwarfish prisoners? Same as goblins, or what?

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 31, 2014, 05:53:21 am »

1)  in data/init/somewhere is the embark peofile.txt  copy that to the new version.  worldgen files also there    2)  build upstairs then up/down stair as high as needed.  they support themselves.  Or ramp/wall.  I do stairs.    @ dragons.  cage them if theyre that violent.   pasture them both in special seperate rooms if babytime.

#2 doesn't work.  Is there a link or a demo video somewhere?  I want to build walls multiple z-levels high.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 31, 2014, 06:24:25 am »

I want to build walls multiple z-levels high.

Walls are a bit of a pain. Temporary bridges can work well.

Ground level:

########### <- wall
<- gap ->
<!# <- ramp and wall

+1 Z

########### <- wall
[==========] <- bridge
<=<|#  Ramp going down, floor (top of wall), ramp going up, wall

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 31, 2014, 09:28:28 am »

#2 doesn't work.  Is there a link or a demo video somewhere?  I want to build walls multiple z-levels high.

Build a wall
OOOOOOOOOO
Then build near them stairs up
<
and above upstairs buid up/down stairs (up stairs must be done)
X

So you have
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
<

and 1Z level above
+++++++++++++++
X
Make a floor from up/down stairs
+++++++++++++++
X++++++++++++++

Build second level wall
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
X++++++++++++++

Repeat if needed.

WARNING

If you are working on cornel:
OOOOOOOO
X++++++O
              +O
              +O
              +O

remember to left one tile not assigned
OOOOOOOO
X+++++++
              +O
              +O
              +O

And build it later, or your dwarfs will not me able to reach bolded wall part
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 31, 2014, 12:43:59 pm »

Whats with doubled names?

One of the dwarves in my fortress (a retired player adventurer) is called

'Iden Shashdonnish Lertethning Rigoth'

He only had the first two names when he started. :P

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 31, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »

I've lost three dwarves in two years to the waterfall that came with my embark.  How do I keep them from throwing themselves off?  Walling the rapids didn't work, nor did bridges.  Grates might help, but what I really need is a wall-like barrier, absolutely barring movement for the dwarves but ideally allowing the water to flow.  Likewise, can you dam a river?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 31, 2014, 02:43:46 pm »

I've lost three dwarves in two years to the waterfall that came with my embark.  How do I keep them from throwing themselves off?  Walling the rapids didn't work, nor did bridges.  Grates might help, but what I really need is a wall-like barrier, absolutely barring movement for the dwarves but ideally allowing the water to flow.  Likewise, can you dam a river?
. . . you can.  If the river freezes you've got your work cut out for you.  Otherwise more fps-intensive or technical solutions would be required.

Perhaps you should make a meeting area at the bottom of the fall, to desensitize cheer up dwarves with the mist.
Otherwise just make the whole river area low or restricted traffic, and make the proper path (the bridge, trail, or tunnel) high traffic.  That will at least stop your own dwarves from pathing too close to the waterfall.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 31, 2014, 03:14:07 pm »

Unfortunately I'm in a warm climate.  They don't really get upset from the deaths, since Urist McOlympicDiver falls to their demise where it's difficult to see them and impossible to retrieve them.

I don't know if restricting the river area has helped any, but it sure as hell hasn't prevented it completely.

This river is at least 5 or 6 levels deep.  Does it matter which level is drained?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 268