Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435191 times)

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #750 on: November 12, 2014, 11:46:25 am »

How would I go about doing that?  The obvious answer would be to build walls, but I can't really do that when there is 7/7 water.  I've got a feeling I should have built walls on the third level before channeling (if that was possible) but I don't know how to do that now.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 12, 2014, 11:57:55 am »

How would I go about doing that?  The obvious answer would be to build walls, but I can't really do that when there is 7/7 water.  I've got a feeling I should have built walls on the third level before channeling (if that was possible) but I don't know how to do that now.

Make a new attempt, this one is messed up, and keep the two slits separate and work only one slit at once. Then you can pump the water away (I only dig up one or two tiles, put wall in, continue.) as long as the other slit has still at least one original aquifer tile you can drain the other side into it! Then you channel the last aquifer tile from above. Deconstruct the interior walls (that kept the slits separate) so the water remaining in the second slits spreads out and can evaporate.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 12, 2014, 04:58:30 pm »

I tried again, following the instructions on the wiki exactly, yet I got the same useless, ruined results.  I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong!  The forum thread has two pictures missing (the ones that I need most, of course) so it isn't much help either.  I have done the *exact* set up it says I should end up with, but the z-level below is no good.

I have gotten this setup exactly:

EDIT: I think I know what went wrong.  I was channeling when I was supposed to be digging. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:48:27 pm by Badger Storm »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 13, 2014, 01:39:40 pm »

Whenever I release prisoners in the first cavern layer (troglodytes / plump helmet men) new ones show up in the second one. Are the cavern layers connected off map and I am just recapturing the prisoners?

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 13, 2014, 01:52:40 pm »

Whenever I release prisoners in the first cavern layer (troglodytes / plump helmet men) new ones show up in the second one. Are the cavern layers connected off map and I am just recapturing the prisoners?

Would say it is possible.. Chop something of them and see ;)

I think all populations are somewhat regulated.. and if you'd kill something off completely, it would also appear less and less?
That with the world syncing up real time, it should be possible.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 13, 2014, 01:58:01 pm »

While training up kicker and biter for my adventurer, I've noticed that I don't gain any xp when the target is unconscious, does anybody know if that is a bug or is intended? It might be intended because of the obvious exploit potential, but just asking if anybody knows for sure.

Also, does anybody know whether it worked like that in 34.11?

Trying to look in mantis bugtracker if there are any relevant bug reports, but it's being really slow right now for some reason.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:00:56 pm by smjjames »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 13, 2014, 04:51:28 pm »

I'm fairly sure it's intentional and has been that way since at least .31.25.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 13, 2014, 07:28:49 pm »

If there is a river at a saltwater embark, is the river salty too?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 13, 2014, 11:51:36 pm »

Rivers are never salted.

The estuous mouths, however, may be

---

Once a water source becomes salted, it will stay salted, so sufficient shenanigans may result in salted  river tiles or cisterns
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:55:21 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 14, 2014, 03:57:31 am »

Had a dwarf suddenly inherit a barony in another site other than my present fort. Now I have a baron who doesn't even technically rule over my fort.

Is this known and intended behavior? I don't quite care for having a noble I didn't even expect.

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 14, 2014, 04:23:47 am »

I'm trying to optimize my Gem industry.

I've created three Jewelry workshops each with a small gem stockpile. Each stockpile gives to its workshop.

I've separated the workshops to only work on gems of a certain value. The top workshop is profiled to accept Great - Legendary gem cutters, and its stockpile only accepts high value gems (value >= 25). The middle workshop is profiled to accept Proficient - Accomplished and gems with 10 <= value < 25, and the final workshop for gems < 10 with gem cutters Dabbling - Skilled.

Example for High value gem stockpile:

Yes, it was incredibly tedious setting up those three stockpiles.

Finally, I have my Primary Materials Quantum Stockpile, which holds all my rough and cut gems (among other things), giving to each of the three specialized gem stockpiles.

The problem, as you can see in the first photo: the specialized stockpiles are empty! Dwarves simply won't stock them. This leads to my Jeweler cancelling all the cut jobs because the stockpile for the workshop is empty.

How do I get the dwarves to stock the specialized stockpiles?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 14, 2014, 05:23:20 am »

I'm trying to optimize my Gem industry....

Upload your save file to DFFD? Someone might give it a look.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 14, 2014, 07:47:47 am »

I'm having difficulties with aquifer draining again.  Whoopee.

When I'm pumping the water out, now I can't seem to get both stair tiles drained.  The pump only drains out the orthogonally adjacent tile, not the one above/below that one.  Thus, when I stop to turn the pump around, everything fills right back up with water.  Additionally, before you begin pumping, do you channel out both tiles on the side, or only one?

At this rate I'm going to need to make a "help me not fuck up aquifers" livestream or something...

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 14, 2014, 10:48:18 am »

How does save compatibility work in regards to graphics packs and all? I have a spacefox tileset region save, can i just copy it over into the new .16 DF?

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 14, 2014, 11:53:41 am »

How does save compatibility work in regards to graphics packs and all? I have a spacefox tileset region save, can i just copy it over into the new .16 DF?
You need to replace /raw in saved game directory ("region1" or whatever) with /raw of your ruleset [+tileset]. Preferrably by removing and copying fresh, so that there won't be conflicts if stuff is put into different files, etc.
And, of course, backup first.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 268