Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438810 times)

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1005 on: December 12, 2014, 02:37:34 pm »

I've a recent dwarf migrant with great Organizer skills and want to appoint him as my Manager, but the Nobles assignment list have him in it. In fact the list seems to show a rather small subset of my 100+ dwarves! Whats up with that?

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 12, 2014, 04:11:36 pm »

My 2nd year outpost-liaison-diplomat isn't having a meeting no matter what I try.
The whole thing seems to coincide with migrants coming at the end of the time period in which the Dwarf caravan is in my depot,
and pushing my population from 48 to 50+
I have tried many tweaks with noble/office/chair/labor/ and save/restore,
but it seems that, no matter what,
the diplomat waits for the mayor to be elected and then leaves unhappy.

Granted, this trade agreement is not critical for my fort, but it still is annoyingly immersion breaking enough to discourage me from playing.

Any ideas other than reverting to an even older save?
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1007 on: December 12, 2014, 05:56:13 pm »

If I fill my moat with water and also fill it with weapon traps/upright spikes, would the freeze in the winter damage them and render them unusable? How do other mechanisms like bridges fair under the winter freeze?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 12, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »

The easiest way to test that is to embark in a frozen area, set up a well, and bucket brigade water directly onto the components in question.  Ice doesnt kill farm plots, but Idk.

Ive got like 10 minutes, I could test that
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 12, 2014, 06:18:48 pm »

Ahh.  They may take cold damage from extended exposure, but the process of freezing and digging them out is okay.  They appear to not have taken damage, and the ice boulder falls on top of them as an item.

Bridges that intersect ice walls will still function (i.e. a retracting bridge with an ice wall through it) and The tile visually reflects the trap/bridge.  For some reason dumping water on a bridge did not create ice, only water.  So Bridges stop water from freezing.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1010 on: December 12, 2014, 06:29:27 pm »

Thanks a lot pisskop

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 12, 2014, 06:57:14 pm »

I haven't seen a single kobold for game decades and through several embarks... so an odd question: Would a kobold (and similar able opponents) open a locked door (exposing the door tile for a moment) while walking through or do they just pass through the locked door? (I am interested whether I can design a kobold trap around temporary tile exposure or not.)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 12, 2014, 07:00:25 pm »

I haven't seen a single kobold for game decades and through several embarks... so an odd question: Would a kobold (and similar able opponents) open a locked door (exposing the door tile for a moment) while walking through or do they just pass through the locked door? (I am interested whether I can design a kobold trap around temporary tile exposure or not.)
Ive never 'seen' them do it before (but if you gave lockpicking to an otherwise visible critter you could eventually see it) given what I know about the game and how both modes of gameplay intertwine (adventure mode and fort mode operate under the exact same rules, mechanically) Id say as long as it takes an adventurer to bash/pick through a lock on a tomb.  Which is about how long it takes to talk.  5 instants?  Maybe give or take 2?

Ive never been under attack while lockpicking and you cant see how long that takes relative to many other things.  Moving takes 5 instants for a normal character.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:02:07 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1013 on: December 13, 2014, 06:07:03 pm »

In one of my Megaforts I placed literally thousands of doors everywhere and I noticed a trail of doors opening towards my mayor with no discernible cause. The cause was an ambushing goblin. They should open the door and not just phase through.

Also update on the moat with weapon traps, they do not go well together. When the ice naturally thaws the trap breaks and the weapon is strewn about, with the mechanism destroyed (possibly metal ones survive?).

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 13, 2014, 06:11:36 pm »

In one of my Megaforts I placed literally thousands of doors everywhere and I noticed a trail of doors opening towards my mayor with no discernible cause. The cause was an ambushing goblin. They should open the door and not just phase through.

Thanks.

After 26 years my fps finally collapsed to mostly below 20 fps. (2x2, 2 caverns, 24 dwarves, 60+ livestock, otherwise pretty minimal fortress) I did some work around an obsidian farm but nothing that should collapse it like that. Since then I destroyed my cave spider collection, started massive reduction of livestock, used dfhack to clean and destroy a 1000 webs in the cavern, destroyed my strategic tallow reserves. Most of this is done, but to no avail, it crawls in low 20s when it used to be 40-60. Any chance of recovering some fps, I'll kill most farm animals right now, but then I am out of ideas. Anyone?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:19:15 pm by taptap »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 13, 2014, 06:59:34 pm »

:/  The passive worldgen and size.  Besides stone and pathing spam, thats gotta be all thats left.  There are mods that remove several 'unique' products (i.e. 'elf tallow' becomes 'tallow', 'porcupine meat' becomes 'meat') which could help some . . .

Also update on the moat with weapon traps, they do not go well together. When the ice naturally thaws the trap breaks and the weapon is strewn about, with the mechanism destroyed (possibly metal ones survive?).
I guess I dont doubt it, but if you dig them out every winter they look like they will be fine.  I froze everything that could be built with (b)(T).

PKs DF Mod!

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 13, 2014, 09:20:51 pm »

If I increase the savagery variance x/y will the area of untamed wilds increase of decrease?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 13, 2014, 09:36:26 pm »

both.

Variance measures spread.  It allow more difference over less area when turned up.  high levels simulate 'pocketed' regions or a large area over a small geographical area.  This is most readily visible with temperature or elevation.

I prefer higher than default because it offers more variety for embarking, but too much is bad for fps and adventuring.  The larger the world the larger variance should be.

Lower varience makes more continuous regions, and a more natural look.  It help to think of  savagery variance by its base numbers.  savagery is rated on a 0-100 scale.  low variation means that 30 becomes 40 and then 50 over a period of 4 regions, but high variance can have 30 directly next to 50.

Variance is a rate of spread, and goes both ways.  couple it with min/max/weights/meshes.
PKs DF Mod!

mndfreeze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 14, 2014, 02:01:43 am »

Thanks. Yes, I read the wiki, still am reading it.. it is just very complicated regarding complicated things... fitting, I guess... ???

I've been playing for a few months now and can get my fortress basically all the way up to mountainhome, making insane money and having pimped out steel evertything, etc.  I STILL find some of the methods for water way to complicated.  Especially since describing the methods comes across more complicated then it actually is, but DF's graphics dont lend to easy videos or picture steps either..

My personal easiest way to deal with water is embark where a river or brook is.  Just use i and setup a zone for water collection and fishing.  Then a bit later when I've started on my positions of my real fortress (not my temporary just embarked in the soil speed fortress) I do a single tile wide channel from the river or stream into the side of the mountain or whatever to my fort.  Once I get roughly near where the well will be placed I make sure tothen channel the 1x wide dry canal a few z levels deeper.  I also make sure to put a fortification in the canal path inside the mountain or ground and a floodgate behind it.

#######
#######
#######
#W#####
xxxxxxGFxxxxxxxxxxRRR
#x###########RRR
#x##############
################

Dont know if this will space out right but basically ths would be a side view of multiple Z levels.  # is dirt/ground going up into a hill/mountain.    W is the well.   (ignore its surrounded by dirt and not an empty room)  xxxx is a 1xwide 1xtall pathway for the water.  R is the RIVER.  G is the floodgate and F is the fortification.   The well has to be more then 1 Z level deep or you get muddy/dirty water.  But as soon as you go more then 1 Z level deep is just 'water' and clean.   The very last dirt spot next to the river you channel LAST so let the water run down the channel you made, into the hole in the mountain/hill/fortress.  The water travels then falls 2 z levels at the end and fills up, right above your well now has 3 z levelsof water that never runs dry but you CAN choose to close the floodgate if you attach a level to it.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 14, 2014, 07:33:00 am »

How do you generate a world with liquid arctic oceans, they always seem to be frozen. Meaning 2 things either DF water has higher freezing point or the oceans contain less salt than rivers.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:35:48 am by locustgate »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 268