Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435648 times)

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1170 on: January 21, 2015, 06:56:37 am »

Where can I download 40.23?  I messed up my raws (again) and I can't find any vanilla (no MacNewbie) mirrors from which to download.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: January 21, 2015, 07:53:04 am »

Where can I download 40.23?  I messed up my raws (again) and I can't find any vanilla (no MacNewbie) mirrors from which to download.

Did you check the 'older versions' link on the front page?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html
()==[:::::::::::::>

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: January 21, 2015, 08:11:22 am »

...I must have missed that completely.  Much obliged, thank you uwu

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: January 22, 2015, 10:53:15 am »

Why is the highest moodable skill of children always some kind of crafter, and is there any way to change that (without dfhack)?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: January 22, 2015, 11:19:37 am »

Dwarfs that lack any skill compatible with strange moods will default to the three crafting skills: wood, stone, or bone.  Since children do not typically gain skills due to being unable to work on anything other than harvesting farm plots (which grants mild Grower skill, which is itself not compatible with any strange moods), they will usually lack a skill compatible with strange moods, and thus fall under this condition.

As for changing it, I'm not sure.  If children could gain experience in a moodable skill, that would change it, but I'm not sure how you'd trick the game into doing that. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:23:34 am by Culise »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: January 22, 2015, 05:09:32 pm »

Quick question. Is there much point to equipping dwarves with more than one masterwork steel chain mail shirt?

As for changing it, I'm not sure.  If children could gain experience in a moodable skill, that would change it, but I'm not sure how you'd trick the game into doing that.

I remembered that Dwarf Therapist has a cheat mode in the options where you can assign labors to children. I made each child work just a little on a forge. Yeah, it's cheating. But personally I think it's fair enough given the uselessness of crafting artifacts.

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 23, 2015, 12:29:46 pm »

Why is the highest moodable skill of children always some kind of crafter, and is there any way to change that (without dfhack)?

That's just how the game works. I don't know if you can fix it with dfhack, but there's a workaround using Dwarf Therapist. There's an option (default off) to allow labors for children, so you can turn on e.g. weaponsmithing for a child, have them make a single weapon, then turn the labor back off.

EDIT: Wow, somehow did not see the above post. -_-

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: January 23, 2015, 06:26:29 pm »

How do I stop dwarves from reloading traps? In the middle of an undead invasion, my intricate trap system was going great, until these idiots decided to rush out and reload all the traps that the undead army was in the process of getting hammered by. I tried everything but I couldn't stop my dwarves from rushing to their deaths trying to reload traps.  :-[

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: January 23, 2015, 09:26:23 pm »

How do I stop dwarves from reloading traps? In the middle of an undead invasion, my intricate trap system was going great, until these idiots decided to rush out and reload all the traps that the undead army was in the process of getting hammered by. I tried everything but I couldn't stop my dwarves from rushing to their deaths trying to reload traps.  :-[
Forbidding the trap once initially loaded is supposed to work.

Quick question. Is there much point to equipping dwarves with more than one masterwork steel chain mail shirt?
It should further reduce edge attacks through deflection and absorbtion. All that steel starts to get heavy though, and it does almost nothing for blunt damage.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 24, 2015, 01:58:45 am »

One mail shirt and one breastplate will increase your survivability a lot. You can wear up to three mail shirts and six cloaks, and if you go that route then opt for adamantine mail and silk cloaks with your steel breastplate.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: January 26, 2015, 05:10:30 pm »

Civilian alert + burrow. (Or closed doors.)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: January 27, 2015, 03:13:46 pm »

You might try adding "[NATURAL_SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON:1]" to the dwarf creature raws. Theoretically, this should ensure that all dwarves possess a minimal knowledge of weaponsmithing, making weapon-producing moods the effective default.

Does brewing skill have any effect? Booze has no quality - do brewing jobs get done faster by higher skill?

Really?  I was sure that I occasionally got comments in earlier versions of dwarf fortress about having drunk legendary booze lately.

The "legendary booze" thought was based on the value of the entire stack of alcohol. Larger stacks of alcohol (resulting from larger stacks of ingredients) or higher value ingredients would improve happiness, but there is no hidden quality.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: January 28, 2015, 06:35:04 am »

Since I modded the noble bison into my game, I appear to be getting migrant peasants that have literally no skills - not even social skills.  Has such a thing ever happened to anyone else?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: January 28, 2015, 10:23:42 am »

Noble bison or bison nobles?
  The first, being simply a creature named bison, shouldn't cause any issues.

The second might, because.  Also, I'd compare your version number.  New versions might be wonkier.  I haven't played anything above 40.19 yet.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: January 28, 2015, 03:56:29 pm »

It's the first, although the second would be far more entertaining.

I tend to have issues with new modded creatures (hoo boy, the fairy dragon caused me no end of grief), for instance, this thing has been giving me stuff in the errorlog about oyster tallow and oyster leather, despite there being no such thing in the raws, even after being modded.  I think I might have to give up modding altogether for my mental health.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 268