Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438868 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1215 on: February 03, 2015, 04:33:44 pm »

Are they aggressive ones?  Can they leave the magma?

Consider baiting them with a critter and/or funneling them into your traps placed outside the magma.  And selectively leave a path to your base for them to path for.

In the magma itself . . .  That's water trapping with extra Fun.  As in hard to do even without the burning to death.

Magma crabs, my traps are submerged as well, all is prepared... but they just don't move into them. And I don't exactly have bait that survives long enough in magma :) Or are they attracted to bait behind a glass window? ... Ok, I am going to test this.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 03, 2015, 04:40:17 pm »

Magma crabs survive out of magma and will path towards your fort, as anyone with magma access in the caverns can attest to.  Construct a 'shortest path' to your fort and trap it.  Else put traps on the edge of the magma.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 04, 2015, 03:09:36 pm »

All the clothing nicely listed in the armor stockpile lists is not processed, right? Only the headwear, legwear etc. from finished goods, right?

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 04, 2015, 11:37:45 pm »

Anyone know the stats on ballista arrows and trap weapons, such as contact area, velocity, penetration etc.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 04, 2015, 11:46:36 pm »

What's the cause of 'Segfault' during world gen in the current version?

I'm trying to generate a history of ~4000 years on a medium world with 20 civs. Sometimes it goes shorter or longer before reaching a segfault, depending on the history seed (I got to 3000 years at least once). Is it mainly the history length hitting some kind of memory limit?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 05, 2015, 12:00:36 am »

I'm trying to generate a history of ~4000 years on a medium world with 20 civs. Sometimes it goes shorter or longer before reaching a segfault, depending on the history seed (I got to 3000 years at least once). Is it mainly the history length hitting some kind of memory limit?

If you're a Windows user did you use Large Address Aware on the DF .exe?
()==[:::::::::::::>

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 05, 2015, 12:03:08 am »

I don't think Windows calls them 'segfaults'.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 05, 2015, 12:13:00 am »

Yeah, i'm on 64-bit linux

Edit: Well, I tried another seed and made it 4000 years this time.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:00:22 am by KingKaol »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 05, 2015, 03:34:15 am »

Magma crabs survive out of magma and will path towards your fort, as anyone with magma access in the caverns can attest to.  Construct a 'shortest path' to your fort and trap it.  Else put traps on the edge of the magma.

Maybe they move in randomly at some point, but they certainly don't path from the magma sea into my submerged entrance, despite available (trapped) path. Maybe I have to wait longer...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 05, 2015, 08:36:10 am »

Yeah, i'm on 64-bit linux

Edit: Well, I tried another seed and made it 4000 years this time.

Are you using any mods?  Those can cause world gen to crash too, depending on what they change.

World gen crashes are really hard to debug, but it probably is just a memory limit if you're genning 3000+ years of history.  There's so much stuff to keep track of at that point it wouldn't surprise me at all.  With some seeds it might randomly generate fewer people and events, so sometimes it may work, sometimes not.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 05, 2015, 09:30:37 am »

Maybe they move in randomly at some point, but they certainly don't path from the magma sea into my submerged entrance, despite available (trapped) path. Maybe I have to wait longer...
They kina meander into, like most wild critters.  Because they throw lava at my dwarves and dogs, I get a little upset :p
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 05, 2015, 01:14:30 pm »

Anyone know the stats on ballista arrows and trap weapons, such as contact area, velocity, penetration etc.
Some data for trap components is at DF wiki.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 05, 2015, 02:56:27 pm »

Can animated corpses gain 'muscle'? 'Cuz that is just NASTY.
()==[:::::::::::::>

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 05, 2015, 06:04:05 pm »

Are you using any mods?  Those can cause world gen to crash too, depending on what they change.

World gen crashes are really hard to debug, but it probably is just a memory limit if you're genning 3000+ years of history.  There's so much stuff to keep track of at that point it wouldn't surprise me at all.  With some seeds it might randomly generate fewer people and events, so sometimes it may work, sometimes not.

No mods. Custom worldgen, but 20 instead of 40 civs, and a site cap of 401.

I noticed that the world stays in the 'age of myth' a lot longer than in the previous version (I think in 40_10 invasions were always a 'win'). Do civs ever take back sites if a megabeast invades it?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 06, 2015, 02:37:45 am »

Can animated corpses gain 'muscle'? 'Cuz that is just NASTY.
They have NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN but the tag seems broken (at least for player vampires,) so maybe.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 268