Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438865 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1320 on: February 23, 2015, 02:18:00 pm »

No.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 23, 2015, 05:32:28 pm »

Refitted my GCS farm for a forgotten beast, but my weaver denies the existence of undisturbed thread. Anyone an idea why?

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: February 24, 2015, 01:06:45 am »

Sorry if this has been covered, the wiki didn't say much.

I've started a fortress, and have nearly a hundred dwarfs. When I embarked it said the elves were hostile, and I had nearby goblins but I've not yet received a siege, snatchers, or thieves. Has this behavior changed?

Honestly, there's a distinct lack of !FUN!
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 24, 2015, 04:10:07 am »

I've started a fortress, and have nearly a hundred dwarfs. When I embarked it said the elves were hostile, and I had nearby goblins but I've not yet received a siege, snatchers, or thieves. Has this behavior changed?

In recent versions such attackers are mostly taken from real inhabitants of far sites and not conjured next to your fort from thin air. That means number and power of sieges depends now not only on state of your fort but also on their sites. So if goblins are busy fighting elves and elves busy fighting goblins it may take some time to get their attention and you still can't be sure they will ever come.  Hoarding few millions of wealth seems to work quite well but they still need time to march to you.
TL,DR: Sieges take more time to arrive and there are much less snatchers around.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 24, 2015, 12:58:37 pm »

In recent versions such attackers are mostly taken from real inhabitants of far sites and not conjured next to your fort from thin air. That means number and power of sieges depends now not only on state of your fort but also on their sites. So if goblins are busy fighting elves and elves busy fighting goblins it may take some time to get their attention and you still can't be sure they will ever come.  Hoarding few millions of wealth seems to work quite well but they still need time to march to you.
TL,DR: Sieges take more time to arrive and there are much less snatchers around.

Thanks! I guess I'll have to clown around to stay entertained.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: February 24, 2015, 02:00:53 pm »

How do I issue recruits their own copper crutch? I would pick a heavier metal if there was a cheap and plentiful source, but I think that should be heavy enough. It's good training policy to get them to adapt to loss of limbs ahead of time, plus it increases toughness and willpower, so they won't cry when they bleed.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: February 24, 2015, 02:02:52 pm »

How do I issue recruits their own copper crutch? I would pick a heavier metal if there was a cheap and plentiful source, but I think that should be heavy enough. It's good training policy to get them to adapt to loss of limbs ahead of time, plus it increases toughness and willpower, so they won't cry when they bleed.

It doesn't increase toughness and willpower any higher than normal military training does.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: February 25, 2015, 01:09:20 pm »

It doesn't need to increase it higher, it increases it faster, that's why I would only issue it for the first 3 months. I know from adventurer mode that it greatly speeds up attribute development, even when just walking down the street. In adventurer mode, I start walking with a crutch as soon as I find one and don't put it away until I reach legendary +6. By then I'm crutching at normal walking pace and have superior to superhuman willpower and endurance, and combined with sneaking I can reach a well-rounded bunch of stats within a week. A crutch has no effect when swimming, but that has it's own exercise benefits. So that's my basic training program.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: February 25, 2015, 01:33:06 pm »

It doesn't need to increase it higher, it increases it faster,

Crutch-walking trains attributes much slower than sparring. In addition, it slows movement, hindering sparring.

Anyway, crutches are issued by the healthcare system, not as military equipment. Your dwarfs won't be given any unless their ability to stand is limited.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 25, 2015, 03:02:13 pm »

Crutch-walking trains attributes much slower than sparring.
You have evidence to support this? If not hard evidence, then anecdotal?

In addition, it slows movement, hindering sparring.
Yup, it slows everything, but the short-term rapid gain makes it worth it. When the crutch no longer hinders, then it doesn't matter how many more weeks you keep the it. Plus if you lose a leg, you're already prepared to take it out, stand back up, and keep fighting.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: February 25, 2015, 04:13:08 pm »

I have a child who lost use of one leg and has been using a crutch ever since, for years. She qualifies as "agile, very slow to tire, has willpower, good kinesthetic sense". That's the gain from something like five years of crutch-walking. It's a notable gain, but not exactly speedy.

Experience from adventure mode also told me that any kind of combat trains attributes much faster than crutch-walking, sneaking or swimming (or all three combined); on a rough estimate, i'd say an hour of wrestling/dodging training with a passing animal gives as much attributes as a full day or two of using one of the "walking around in special mode" skills.

It's largely academic, since dwarfs who have two healthy legs just don't use crutches. If a soldier loses a leg, you could try sending them on a patrol route to build crutch-walking skill, they'll take unreasonably long to advance during normal demonstration/sparring training, because it doesn't entail that much walking.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: February 26, 2015, 12:54:22 pm »

Experience from adventure mode also told me that any kind of combat trains attributes much faster
My experience from adventurer mode is that combat mode is incredibly risky until you get yourself in shape, unless you gave yourself all the demigod attributes. In adventurer mode, crutching maxes in a week, and doesn't make wrestling particularly difficult. Also, standing around spamming easy wrestling holds may train you, but it's boring. It doesn't get you places. Crutching may be slow, but you travel instead of grinding.

Back on topic:

Where the heck could I have gotten giraffe hair thread? I have yet to get my dyers or looms to pick it up, and I can't figure out which workshop could've made it in the first place. There's no stockpile item for thread made of hair. It don't think it was created in a mood, because none of the artifacts use it.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 26, 2015, 02:27:27 pm »

There's a few red pandas on the map and I want to catch them before they become extinct from the biome. How would I go about doing so? So far, I have a single piece of food outside of my fort surrounded by cage traps, and I've only caught one heavily wounded red panda that was attacked before I disabled hunting. The red panda died after a recent goblin ambush, however, and I have only seen a maximum of 2 wandering around afterwards. How should I go about catching them?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 27, 2015, 12:11:55 pm »

Is there any science done on water losses due to evaporation in dwarven reactors? Never see this mentioned anywhere, but it clearly is an issue in my fort (and it is a significant amount).
It depends from your design, some water can go away if you have no blocking walls on your pump level and water just go away on floors aroun… and eveporating. In other case, it should not evaporate too much, my bucked filed generator is working third year without maintrance. It's deep undergound… Meybe your is on surface and this is reason why your one is losing water?
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 27, 2015, 12:23:30 pm »

Is there any science done on water losses due to evaporation in dwarven reactors? Never see this mentioned anywhere, but it clearly is an issue in my fort (and it is a significant amount).
It depends from your design, some water can go away if you have no blocking walls on your pump level and water just go away on floors aroun… and eveporating. In other case, it should not evaporate too much, my bucked filed generator is working third year without maintrance. It's deep undergound… Meybe your is on surface and this is reason why your one is losing water?

I had exactly this setup operating with significant water losses when working with little water (20-25 units), once I topped it up to 35 units of water exactly it is a "standing wave" with 7 water on all 5 accessible tiles, no mist, no water loss and only the input empty. I was worried because it is drainage for swimming experiments and I would hate if it stopped surprisingly.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 268