Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440205 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1335 on: February 28, 2015, 03:54:18 am »

So, any ideas about answers to these?
I am currently playing one big world and the liaison brought news about one fort. What is the best way to find out where it is located? Legends entry of fort neither includes a map nor names the region. Is there a better way (without 3rd party tools) to find given site then just starting new fort and going around map, checking all forts shown?

After more then a (game time) year of play I have found my fort is from other dwarven civilization than the intended one. Can fort rebel and change its civilization? What about those insurrection mechanics in Adventurer mode? Or do I need to abandon the fort and reclaim it with group from the desirer civ? Where in reclaim can I then pick which civ I want to use? Or is there an other way?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1336 on: February 28, 2015, 07:24:31 am »

I don't know about the first, but as to the second:

You can't rebel. You'd have to abandon and reclaim or something, just bear in mind that abandoning will cause all your items to be strewn around the place at random. You can choose your civ from the embark screen by hitting 'Tab' a few times - it'll eventually cycle through to the civilisation menu on the right.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: February 28, 2015, 12:18:18 pm »

Is there some consequence to letting tame vermin run loose that I haven't forseen? The wiki says you can't run a silk industry from tame cave spiders because they don't spin webs in cages. So why not uncage them? Can't pasture them for some reason, so I just pit them then unpit them. I haven't caught a spider yet, but olms and cave hoppers are loose and available for adoption, or as a snack for a lazy cat.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: February 28, 2015, 10:56:27 pm »

Dwarves that don't like vermin getting bad thoughts and dwarves who have vermin pets getting sad when they inevitably die.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 01, 2015, 12:27:57 am »

Sounds manageable. Tame spiders that run free don't still bite, do they?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 02, 2015, 03:48:24 am »

What happens when a living being is atomsmashed?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 02, 2015, 11:53:19 am »

What happens when a living being is atomsmashed?

Well, it... dies ? And it's corpse and inventory (if it has one) disappears, so it's marked as Missing if it is a pet or a dwarf. Means you can't bury it and if it is a dwarf it will make a ghost eventually.

Try it. It's very simple.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 02, 2015, 01:28:44 pm »

Did the fruit part of the game get fixed?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 02, 2015, 01:29:36 pm »

uncaged tamed spiders still wave nets, but They die pretty fast (one year), so you just waiting your dwarf life. You need just have closed some mossy area, where your cats will have no enter and spiders will just spawn eventualy. Bites are causing negative though, but not too bad one.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Rusty_knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 02, 2015, 01:46:10 pm »

Why my animal trainers doesn't train? I have a zone marked for animal training and also as a pen/pasture, which contains some semi-wild animal children born from semi-wild/trained parents. I mark them for training in the status menu, assign a trainer and wait and just nothing happens. He/they just keep chilling out at a meeting area or wander aimlessly in the burrow. And they succesfully trained animals before (the parents and one of the childs) in the exact same zone.
Crazy-ass weirdo beaver is my totem animal!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 02, 2015, 03:39:20 pm »

Which fruit part are you referring to exactly?  Fruit seem to work for me for the most part.  The only thing that doesn't really work yet is getting edible seeds out of pods.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 02, 2015, 04:14:37 pm »

uncaged tamed spiders still wave nets, but They die pretty fast (one year), so you just waiting your dwarf life.
...and you need to replace them, and again... too much work for dwarves and too much bother micromanaging this. Especially compared to webslingers silk farm. Then again, when that stopped DF players?  :D
The good side is: constant exercise for your trainers, preparing them for work on more valuable critters.
And since Animal trainer is one of few skills that involves knowing the beast Intuition (other than Appraiser and Judge of intent), training critters all the time may help to keep your broker sharp while doing something useful, too.

You need just have closed some mossy area, where your cats will have no enter and spiders will just spawn eventualy.
...oh, and yes, if they spawn on your map, there also will be wild spiders still spawning - which in itself is a good thing, as you need replacement, but dorfs will go and collect their webs along with that of domesticated spiders and get bitten anyway. Unless you limit web collectors to burrows that don't contain areas where wild spiders may spawn.
So, can be done, but entails more micromanagement.

Bites are causing negative though, but not too bad one.
But cave spider bite causes mild, but permanent syndrome and brown recluse spider bite causes necrosis... phantom spider causes mild temporary syndrome - but it lives in evil forests, which is already bad enough.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 02, 2015, 04:45:53 pm »

Which fruit part are you referring to exactly?  Fruit seem to work for me for the most part.  The only thing that doesn't really work yet is getting edible seeds out of pods.
I guess that was it.  Last time I played it was in the game but not fully implemented to be useable.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 02, 2015, 07:26:34 pm »

So um, my dwarves killed a FB made of "filth". I got to wondering, what is "filth"? Is it something like rotten meat, bones and mud? Or is it poo? Or is there poo in there too? Is there any official definition of filth? Did my dwarves kill a poo man? This is important.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 02, 2015, 07:40:33 pm »

It's probably made out of elves. :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 268