Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440170 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1395 on: March 12, 2015, 01:40:29 pm »

My marksdwarves have been training for a while. I just noticed that pretty much all of them are legendary dodgers at this point. To put into perspective, my best melee squad, who have been sparring for about 4 months longer, are only profession dodgers. What makes them such proficient dodgers? is it the individual combat drills?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: March 13, 2015, 03:20:46 am »

Do male animals still breed when they are caged? I thought only females couldn't breed if they were caged in the previous version, but i think something changed?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: March 13, 2015, 06:30:04 am »

Do male animals still breed when they are caged? I thought only females couldn't breed if they were caged in the previous version, but i think something changed?
I think it's always been like that. I remember reading that caging only the males was cautioned against because a single wild animal wandering onto the map could impregnate all your free females at once, not because caged males could still release spores. Breeding isn't done by spores anymore, though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1398 on: March 13, 2015, 10:18:03 am »

Currently I think the deal is that pre-impregnated creatures give birth from inside cages but will not become pregnant.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: March 13, 2015, 01:51:41 pm »

Can power be transferred through unconnected downstairs with an empty tile beneath? I couldn't find anything specific on this in the wiki.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: March 13, 2015, 01:55:02 pm »

Breeding now requires the male and female to be in adjacent tiles. I don't know if anyone has tested whether a caged male can breed with an adjacent, uncaged female.

I remember reading that caging only the males was cautioned against because a single wild animal wandering onto the map could impregnate all your free females at once, not because caged males could still release spores.

Nope. Caged males could breed quite successfully, so caging only the males was completely ineffective.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1401 on: March 13, 2015, 02:02:01 pm »

Can power be transferred through unconnected downstairs with an empty tile beneath? I couldn't find anything specific on this in the wiki.

Like this?

-o- Windmill
 <  Down stair
    Empty space
 M  Machine

If so, I don't think so. I'm not sure I understand the question though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: March 13, 2015, 03:47:02 pm »

Like this?

-o- Windmill
 <  Down stair
    Empty space
 M  Machine

If so, I don't think so. I'm not sure I understand the question though.
Not exactly, but if you put a vert axle where your empty space is, that's the principle of the question. Will power transfer directly down through an unconnected downstair?

I think I answered my question. I carved a stair over a gear and tried to plant another gear over it. The space was considered  'not at or near machine' until I put another gear beside it on the same level.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: March 13, 2015, 04:01:56 pm »

My brain hurts, because of the stockpiles.

I want a small cloth and a small thread stockpile next to my hospital without bins (so I can see if I need to make more). Those two stockpiles are set to take from the another two cloth stockpiles from the crafting center where my loom and clothier are. But somehow my dwarfs are not hauling the thread and cloth in the hospital stockpiles.

Ideal situation is that crafting area stockpiles would give the loom and clothier all the stuff they need, so they would leave items in my hospital alone.

Is this possible? Or is the hospital autostocking fixed enough to trust to it?
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 13, 2015, 05:02:11 pm »

My brain hurts, because of the stockpiles.

I want a small cloth and a small thread stockpile next to my hospital without bins (so I can see if I need to make more). Those two stockpiles are set to take from the another two cloth stockpiles from the crafting center where my loom and clothier are. But somehow my dwarfs are not hauling the thread and cloth in the hospital stockpiles.

Ideal situation is that crafting area stockpiles would give the loom and clothier all the stuff they need, so they would leave items in my hospital alone.

Is this possible? Or is the hospital autostocking fixed enough to trust to it?
If you link a stockpile to "give" to a workshop that workshop should take its ingredients only from such linked stockpiles. Note some reactions need more ingredents, like brewing can ask fro both fruit and barrel. Only when no stockpile are linked workshop try to take from those unlinked.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: March 13, 2015, 05:08:46 pm »

For some reason my dwarves keep on saying "cancels store item in stockpile: Item inaccessible" is there a way to figure out whats wrong or something i should do? Help......
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: March 13, 2015, 06:23:41 pm »

Not using burrows, not forbidding items or doors, you don't have doors closing automatically? I get this a lot around a hatched ramp with a lot of traffic, due to the hatch closing and someone standing on top for a moment. It's only temporary, the job will resume in another moment.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: March 13, 2015, 06:51:27 pm »

For some reason my dwarves keep on saying "cancels store item in stockpile: Item inaccessible" is there a way to figure out whats wrong or something i should do? Help......
Not using burrows, not forbidding items or doors, you don't have doors closing automatically? I get this a lot around a hatched ramp with a lot of traffic, due to the hatch closing and someone standing on top for a moment. It's only temporary, the job will resume in another moment.
Beside all that, your dwarves are capable of trying to haul some junk item that is lying in some inaccessible area, like tree top. So rarely it won't sort itself out, when they are still able to see such items from time to time.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: March 13, 2015, 06:54:30 pm »

Ok
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 14, 2015, 03:55:04 am »

Hey guys! So I encountered a strange problem while trying to introduce my GF to the game.  She has two farms, one above ground and one underground planting Prickle Berries and Plump Helments respectively.  This worked fine for a year and her food production was well underway.  Eventually we noticed that she was suddenly down to 1 food and 5 drink.  After checking her seed stocks (as well as the actual food stockpiles) we found that there were still dozens of prickle berry and plump helmet seeds but the dwarves were simply not planting them.  Any idea what the issue is here and how to resolve it?

EDIT:  After further investigation it seems the dwarves are only willing to use a few of the farm plot tiles for farming.  What's going on?

NOTE:  I haven't played the game in about a year or two, so does this have something to do with an update that has occurred since then that I simply don't know about?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:59:28 am by Ifeno »
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 268