Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434484 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1455 on: March 27, 2015, 03:19:42 am »

Thanks Number7!

After embarking on over a dozen different evil regions I've yet to find one that has eyeball or worming tendril grass. What am I missing/doing wrong? Or do they just almost never show up in the latest version?

Finally found an embark that has them.
Yeah, looking for rarer plants may be tedious after plant explosion in 0.40.0. There is often so many other ones then can be used in site generation  ainstead of that one you are looking for...
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: March 27, 2015, 05:30:50 am »

Thanks Number7!

After embarking on over a dozen different evil regions I've yet to find one that has eyeball or worming tendril grass. What am I missing/doing wrong? Or do they just almost never show up in the latest version?

Yeah, looking for rarer plants may be tedious after plant explosion in 0.40.0. There is often so many other ones then can be used in site generation  ainstead of that one you are looking for...
I've cut out the majority of the garden vegetables, a couple of the new crops (particularly the useless papyrus sedge) and some grasses from my raws to have a higher chance of interesting things. Oh yeah and a couple of the trees. I wanted a atmospheric evil biome.

Even with all that though it took me more than a dozen embarks before I found one with the evil grasses. Quite a few of them had glumprongs and slivers barbs but no evil grasses.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: March 28, 2015, 07:27:19 pm »

Question about deities:

I noticed in the king list for a certain dwarven civ that after the first ruler worshipping a deity listed for that civ ('Medtob'), the remaining sovereigns all worshipped a certain 'Nine Drunkennut the Heliotrope Spring', however that deity doesn't appear anywhere else in any of the other civs. Are there deities that don't belong to any civilization like that? Or is it maybe a 'hidden' deity (I noticed that Kobolds don't list any deities, so I'm guessing either they aren't religious or that information isn't exported.)

Edit: Figured it out

Nine Drunkennut was a Titan that destroyed another dwarven civ in year 1. That particular fortress doesn't have any residents listed in the sites export so I'm not sure where he ended up.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:57:09 pm by KingKaol »

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: March 29, 2015, 11:22:44 am »

Small newbie question about designation priority:

If i set, for example, two mining points, one with 1 priority and other with 9 priority, which one is going to be mined first?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:27:09 am by Magnumcannon »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: March 29, 2015, 06:39:50 pm »

Small newbie question about designation priority:

If i set, for example, two mining points, one with 1 priority and other with 9 priority, which one is going to be mined first?
1 because priorities are only 1-7 :D. And also because the lower the number, the more important the job is.

Edit: Though, if the lower number (prioritized) site is currently inaccessible, the other one should be done, of course...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:42:14 pm by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: March 30, 2015, 12:53:09 am »

Has miasma generation been changed to respond to Inside/Outside instead of Above Ground/Subterranean? I'm trying DF2014 out after a long absence, and my standard technique of channeling out a workspace for the kitchen and butcher shop from the surface and slapping a bridge on top led to miasma from the kitchen when I let my prepared food stockpile overflow. The only explanation I can think of is that it's looking at Inside, which is caused by the roof.

Also, do livestock generate vermin? I brought along about 40 turkeys that I stuffed into a 10x10 pasture in a rocky wasteland, and now it's absolutely crawling with lice, ticks, snails, and slugs, sometimes 4 to a tile. I've never seen so many!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: March 30, 2015, 01:08:45 am »

Once an area is exposed to outside it will stay that way, no matter what you build over it, bridges, floors, walls, etc.

Fowls can generate those worms. I think it is a feature to simulate them pecking vermins from the soil.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: March 30, 2015, 01:23:36 am »

Once an area is exposed to outside it will stay that way, no matter what you build over it, bridges, floors, walls, etc.
Yes, I know. The question is, has the miasma generation procedure changed between 34.11 and 40.24? In 34.11, if you build your kitchen in an "Inside, Light, Above Ground" tile, rotting food won't generate miasma. In 40.24, it appears it did. What changed?

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: March 30, 2015, 01:36:20 am »

A few questions about v40.24

1. Advanced world creation: Most of my attempts using non-default values for large map (257x257) result in non-responding program after pressing Enter, the map generation/preview interface won't even show up. Is it because the map is being constantly rejected?

2. (Solved)My game crashes quite often when entering "fast travel" interface in Adventure Mode. Specifically upon "off-loading " sites and waiting/sleeping. I don't think it is a problem with my computer cuz it's pretty high-end and plays DF Mode just fine. Is it a bug related issue? Is there anyway I can see crash logs?
--For this one, I turned off DFHack and it never crashed again.

3. How do I find exact quest target location in Adventure Mode? I have found several locations that has white *** indication on upper-left corner, but the target is never there. Does the monster/bandits just roam about and never come back to the site?

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:59:35 am by Mrandom »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: March 30, 2015, 01:43:38 am »

Oh, that. Sorry I haven't touched 34.11 for ages.

I build refuse stockpiles inside (above ground and light) in 40.24 but never do I get miasmas. So why kitchen?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:45:57 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1465 on: March 30, 2015, 07:33:07 am »

Has miasma generation been changed to respond to Inside/Outside instead of Above Ground/Subterranean? I'm trying DF2014 out after a long absence, and my standard technique of channeling out a workspace for the kitchen and butcher shop from the surface and slapping a bridge on top led to miasma from the kitchen when I let my prepared food stockpile overflow. The only explanation I can think of is that it's looking at Inside, which is caused by the roof.

I'm pretty sure it's still above/subterranean. Are you sure you didn't end up with something just outside the channeled area? It seems unlikely, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed otherwise.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: March 30, 2015, 08:06:49 am »

Why there is no material selection in mason's/carpenter's/etc. workshops? You can choose material in forges and smelters, so why you can't do it with other workshops without wierd stockpile managment? Any plugins to fix it?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: March 30, 2015, 10:12:45 am »

Why there is no material selection in mason's/carpenter's/etc. workshops? You can choose material in forges and smelters, so why you can't do it with other workshops without wierd stockpile managment? Any plugins to fix it?
Head to Moding board rather for these.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: March 30, 2015, 12:21:15 pm »

Thanks Number7!

I've cut out the majority of the garden vegetables, a couple of the new crops (particularly the useless papyrus sedge) and some grasses from my raws to have a higher chance of interesting things. Oh yeah and a couple of the trees. I wanted a atmospheric evil biome.

Even with all that though it took me more than a dozen embarks before I found one with the evil grasses. Quite a few of them had glumprongs and slivers barbs but no evil grasses.

What's special about eyeball or worming tendril plants? I've had an embark in a half-terrifying, half-cold woodsland.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: March 30, 2015, 12:26:46 pm »

Also, do livestock generate vermin? I brought along about 40 turkeys that I stuffed into a 10x10 pasture in a rocky wasteland, and now it's absolutely crawling with lice, ticks, snails, and slugs, sometimes 4 to a tile. I've never seen so many!

I do notice these vermins early int he embark. 
Other than pasturing a cat inside there, smooth stone, and a door seems to help control vermin in my turkey pasture.
Except for creepy crawlers, they seem to spawn once cavern is breached in my particular embark. 

Miasma do not travel diagonal, and do not go above 3z, so I make a 5 garbage zone pit with diagonal access.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 268