Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 436112 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1815 on: June 29, 2015, 11:28:12 am »

Try a coupla wood blocks, and normal stone like gabbro, I'm not sure how usual obsidian is. Probably won't work, but just in case.
One wheel short of a wagon

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: June 29, 2015, 11:32:25 am »

A strange mood is stalled on "blocks...bricks", but I've made the preferred items with block options and no dice. The blocks are out of the workshop that created them, so the moody dorf should have spotted them, right?

Anyone have ideas what to try supplying next?  Preference list:

Amber
Emerald
Trifle pewter (have blocks)
Obsidian (have blocks)
Armor Stands
Leather Armor
Mules
The color buff
Pineapple Wine
Pig Cheese

She also wants logs, but has no wood preferences.  Logs are available, so it's likely the blocks are what's blocking the mood.
That villager of yours wants all your emerald blocks :D
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: June 29, 2015, 11:41:22 am »

Try a coupla wood blocks, and normal stone like gabbro, I'm not sure how usual obsidian is. Probably won't work, but just in case.

I've got a bunch of other rock blocks. I made a couple of wood blocks, but also no dice.

Does DF have buff colored stone?

EDIT: NVM, she's melancholy.  Poor woman - she was an up and coming glassmaker, had just fulfilled her dream of having a kid, then BAM a random craving for some unknown block type and she's a goner.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:04:28 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: June 29, 2015, 12:28:59 pm »

what cloth creation fetches the best base price?

I ran into a hill chock fullo spiderman silk and think Ill actual care about cloth for a change.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: June 29, 2015, 01:50:43 pm »

A strange mood is stalled on "blocks...bricks", but I've made the preferred items with block options and no dice. The blocks are out of the workshop that created them, so the moody dorf should have spotted them, right?

I don't think I've ever seen a dwarf insist on a specific type of block... obsidian should work just fine. It's more likely that she wants more of the previous item, e.g. wool cloth, cut gems, or some other item that isn't readily available. 

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: June 29, 2015, 03:44:38 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen a dwarf insist on a specific type of block... obsidian should work just fine. It's more likely that she wants more of the previous item, e.g. wool cloth, cut gems, or some other item that isn't readily available.

There were multiple items of the base material available, and she only grabbed one.  *shrug*  There's a reason we call them dorfs and have the What Would Urist Do thread. The baby survived OK and she wasn't the only glassmaker in the fort, so I'm not too fussed about it.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: June 29, 2015, 08:36:44 pm »

Dwarves do not take preferences into account for moods AFAIK.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: June 29, 2015, 08:56:27 pm »

Dwarves do not take preferences into account for moods AFAIK.

Dwarves with a preference for a type of metal that has been smelted at your fortress will demand that metal for metalsmithing moods (unless adamantine is available). Dwarves with a preference for a type of shell supposedly demand shells in bonecarving moods. Specific types of cloth and glass can also be required. The wiki Mood page is rather comprehensive.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: June 29, 2015, 09:30:43 pm »

Is that actually true anymore?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: June 30, 2015, 11:34:14 am »

Question -

In a "dwarven shower", is it the water or just the mist that cleans dwarves walking under it?

The important diff is whether I have to force the path directly under the fall, or just adjacent to it (perhaps with a statue 1-level up to better disperse the mist).

I want to say that it's not, but I'm not 100% sure. I seem to remember dwarves grabbing alternatives to their preference without a blink, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: June 30, 2015, 11:57:38 am »

The water cleans the dwarves.  1/7 of falling water will do it.  But the mist is what gives the happies.

Just put a grate on the ground where the water falls, and the mist will randomly disperse in a small radius.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: June 30, 2015, 01:46:06 pm »

Dwarves with a preference for a type of metal that has been smelted at your fortress will demand that metal for metalsmithing moods (unless adamantine is available). Dwarves with a preference for a type of shell supposedly demand shells in bonecarving moods. Specific types of cloth and glass can also be required. The wiki Mood page is rather comprehensive.

Yes. I have experienced demands for specific metal bars several times in v0.40. If they demand steel bars, they won't substitute anything (including adamantine).

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: June 30, 2015, 05:06:38 pm »

But is that demand tied to preference, and with such a preference is it a predictable demand?

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: July 01, 2015, 02:20:00 am »

I never had a dwarf demand any specific material. Never, and that means at least a hundred moods.
I also always use dfhack showmood as I cannot be bothered with looking it up in the wiki.

Another question:
I plan moving from my temporary fort in the surface dirt into the third cavern. For the removal I want to use a long shaft and gravity. Are there any items that could be damaged by a 60z fall, besides corpses (living as well as dead)?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 01, 2015, 09:06:17 am »

No items take damage from falls, not even (properly de-animated) corpses.

Re: moods
Specific metal bar demands only apply to the _base_ material of a mood and can thus only occur in smithing moods. I've only had few moods where this came into play in DF2014, but it still appears to be the case.
Dwarfs in a smithing mood will demand their(or a) preferred metal as base material if
1 - you already made bars of this metal on your site and
2 - no adamantine wafers are currently available.
This demand doesn't care whether you currently have the metal on hand.

If adamantine wafers are availalbe (afaik that means present and unforbidden) the moment the demands are generated, smithing moods will always demand that as base material, regardless of other metal preferences. If you make (or unforbid?) adamantine wafers after the demands are formulated, the dwarf shouldn't substitute adamantine for their already-picked preferred metal (see Loci's post).

Once again, such specificness _only_ applies to the base material, not to the metal a dwarf uses to stick menacing spikes on a gabbro mug.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:08:03 am by Larix »
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 268