Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431324 times)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1830 on: July 01, 2015, 11:32:42 am »

Do civilizations have a range, 4 goblins civs but there is an area in my current world where they aren't showing up. The entire world is connected and there are no islands. If I settle in that area will I still get kidnappers and gobo sieges?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: July 01, 2015, 12:56:46 pm »

Yes, the range is roughly 20* region tiles. However, that is not "as the crow flies", but will be routed around big water and mountain ranges.

(* from personal observation)

When you have an embark/region selected pre-Embark, you can hit [tab] a few times to see what civs are/not "neighbors".

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: July 01, 2015, 12:59:08 pm »

Do civilizations have a range, 4 goblins civs but there is an area in my current world where they aren't showing up. The entire world is connected and there are no islands. If I settle in that area will I still get kidnappers and gobo sieges?
See wiki: civilizations have 30-tile operating radius from their sites, necromancer towers have 10-tiles in vanilla DF. Note in lat versions sieges are not generated on your doorstep but they need to take units from existing enemy sites. This means there are hardly any kidnappers at all and sieges generally need more time to build up. If other civilizations are stronger, goblins may get exhausted fighting at other sites and for few years not even visit your fort.

As in recent versions is the outer world still developing, even when you settle at some place without nearby enemies, I think they can still in few years settle closer to you and eventually visit your site.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:11:50 am by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: July 02, 2015, 07:46:52 am »

No items take damage from falls, not even (properly de-animated) corpses.
Thanks. I was under the impression that I once threw unicorn corpses down a shaft to maximize unicorn bone craft production, but maybe they were still alive.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: July 02, 2015, 07:20:58 pm »

So my current crossbow squad is made of 3 dwarves. Out of all of them the captain (commander) moves about half the speed as all the other dwarves, all marksdwarves are equiped with:
All metal is (Iron)

Leather Helm
Chain mail
Leather Armor
Leather Robes
Leather Shirt
Leather Trousers
Backpack
Chain Leggings
Flask
Leather Quiver
Leather Low Boots
Iron Bolts

The crossbows are the only thing (other than the type of leather) that are different. The rest of the squad is armed with wood crossbows and the leader is equipped with a copper crossbow and he even moves slower than the fully armored hammerdwarves. EDIT: Nope tried to replacing the crossbows, not a single improvement.

Could the cause of his slowness be the copper crossbow .....or could it just be he is slow. EDIT: It seems when it's running to practice he moves the same speed as everyone.

Additionally I tried putting a patrol route above the entrance to my fort, fully covered and with fortifications facing out, but every time they patrol they just sit outside.

+ floor W wall f fortifications 

ffffffffffffffffffffffff
++++++++++++++
wwwwwwwwwwww

Same thing with trying to station them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:39:22 pm by locustgate »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: July 03, 2015, 02:07:38 am »

So my current crossbow squad is made of 3 dwarves. Out of all of them the captain (commander) moves about half the speed as all the other dwarves, all marksdwarves are equiped with:
All metal is (Iron)

Leather Helm
Chain mail
Leather Armor
Leather Robes
Leather Shirt
Leather Trousers
Backpack
Chain Leggings
Flask
Leather Quiver
Leather Low Boots
Iron Bolts

The crossbows are the only thing (other than the type of leather) that are different. The rest of the squad is armed with wood crossbows and the leader is equipped with a copper crossbow and he even moves slower than the fully armored hammerdwarves. EDIT: Nope tried to replacing the crossbows, not a single improvement.

Could the cause of his slowness be the copper crossbow .....or could it just be he is slow. EDIT: It seems when it's running to practice he moves the same speed as everyone.

Additionally I tried putting a patrol route above the entrance to my fort, fully covered and with fortifications facing out, but every time they patrol they just sit outside.

+ floor W wall f fortifications 

ffffffffffffffffffffffff
++++++++++++++
wwwwwwwwwwww

Same thing with trying to station them.
1) Amount (weight) of armor is one thing. Skill "Armor User" tells you how good given dwarf is at mitigating the weight of his/her armor. Try to check your crossbow captain, s/he may be much worse at this skill, thus slowed more by it.
2) I am not using Patrol but stationing quad somewhere doesn't tell them to go to that one tile, rather to move to area around it. Can it be they move to the near tile which is outside of walls and are then unable to find path to the next waypoint on the walls? EDIT: Is there path from the rest of fortress up the walls at all?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: July 03, 2015, 05:47:40 am »

1) Amount (weight) of armor is one thing. Skill "Armor User" tells you how good given dwarf is at mitigating the weight of his/her armor. Try to check your crossbow captain, s/he may be much worse at this skill, thus slowed more by it.
2) I am not using Patrol but stationing quad somewhere doesn't tell them to go to that one tile, rather to move to area around it. Can it be they move to the near tile which is outside of walls and are then unable to find path to the next waypoint on the walls? EDIT: Is there path from the rest of fortress up the walls at all?

He is a novice, but that is the highest in his squad.

There are 2 sets of staircases right next to barracks, the shortest path from the barracks.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: July 03, 2015, 06:47:04 am »

Slowdown by inventory (not just armour, everything that's carried/hauled/worn/wielded) very much depends on the dwarf's strength. Your captain may be weak/very weak or worse and may also be suffering from mediocre base speed due to clumsiness or poor spatial/kinesthetic sense.

I'd generally suggest not loading archers down with metal armour. If handled properly, they shouldn't come under attack, apart from enemy elite archers, and armour doesn't protect too well against shots. Archers are pretty bad at picking up defensive skills anyway, they'll usually only train dodging if left to themselves, and don't seem to increase strength much.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: July 03, 2015, 07:57:25 am »

How wide should my ramparts be, over my entrance, if it's 2 or 1 wide then everyone will just go outside and sit along the wall when stationed/patrolling.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: July 03, 2015, 07:31:55 pm »

Question - I have built windmills linked to underground millstones but can one  be built on a dome or above ground structure?   I like enclosing all above ground activity but if the windmill is inside the walls or roof a hole has to allow the 'wind' in.  If it has to be built outside I would prefer it on top of the fortress for some protection.  And style of course.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: July 04, 2015, 11:46:28 am »

If I accidentally set a hotkey to zoom somewhere, is there a way I can make it not zoom?

herocrafter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: July 04, 2015, 01:05:26 pm »

Don't press that hotkey or set it to zoom somewhere else.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: July 04, 2015, 03:05:56 pm »

I'm using DTherapist and I noticed several of my animals are listed as (gender) Asexual....does that mean they won't reproduce?

What is a better war beast, this came up after I had a single dog knock a mammoth (modded hairy elephant) and a giant badge out, while suffering no wounds what so ever, the other two suffered bruises, dents, and cuts.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:07:05 pm by locustgate »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: July 04, 2015, 04:18:12 pm »

I'm using DTherapist and I noticed several of my animals are listed as (gender) Asexual....does that mean they won't reproduce?

What is a better war beast, this came up after I had a single dog knock a mammoth (modded hairy elephant) and a giant badge out, while suffering no wounds what so ever, the other two suffered bruises, dents, and cuts.
Was that dog trained? Is your mammoth just hairy elephant or how should we know its stats?
(noted by jwoodward48df)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: July 04, 2015, 04:34:47 pm »

Was that dog trained? Is your mammoth just hairy elephant or how should we know its stats?

Untrained, just a hairy elephant that can be found in cold regions.

EDIT: Has also managed to dent everybody part of a giant stoat and break it's left ear.

EDIT2: After doing the same to 2 giant hamster, a 2nd giant badger, and 3 other mammoths, the dog finally lost against a pack of giant coyotes. He also got a name.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:55:44 am by locustgate »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 268