Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 436109 times)

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2115 on: October 03, 2015, 11:33:43 pm »

Why do cyan troll blood and red goblin blood have to mix to exactly the same color as digging designations?

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: October 03, 2015, 11:37:32 pm »

What are the benefits of making an animal specifically a war animal? I'm wondering whether its worth it to add the tag to giant cave spiders, giant desert scorpions and cave dragons

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: October 04, 2015, 03:10:49 am »

What are the benefits of making an animal specifically a war animal? I'm wondering whether its worth it to add the tag to giant cave spiders, giant desert scorpions and cave dragons
If you capture and tame one, you can train and use it for war IIRC. So can your enemies, possibly, if they do, but I'm not sure about that.
One wheel short of a wagon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: October 04, 2015, 10:09:53 am »

If you plan to use them, it cold be worth it.

Hunters get more observer skill-skill an will wait for their masters to engage before running off, and maybe get more agility?

War critters get more strength and some more aggression.  An edge.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: October 05, 2015, 03:14:17 pm »

Why do cyan troll blood and red goblin blood have to mix to exactly the same color as digging designations?
Because there is just so many symbols and colours DF is using. Pour lava over that area to clear it of any (t)issues of trolls or goblins, or any still live members of them, too, in fact.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: October 05, 2015, 06:06:21 pm »

I don't seen an unanswered question at the moment. 

Because there is just so many symbols and colours DF is using. Pour lava over that area to clear it of any (t)issues of trolls or goblins, or any still live members of them, too, in fact.

What are the dark magenta and light blue contaminants and why is getting confused with them worse than getting confused with dig designations?

Also, more in line with the theme of this thread, why is one of my swordsdwarfs carrying a large stoneware pot of blackberry wine for individual combat drill?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: October 05, 2015, 06:39:55 pm »

You should use the 'k' button to vew tiles and their inventories.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: October 05, 2015, 07:35:03 pm »

I don't seen an unanswered question at the moment. 

What are the dark magenta and light blue contaminants and why is getting confused with them worse than getting confused with dig designations?

Also, more in line with the theme of this thread, why is one of my swordsdwarfs carrying a large stoneware pot of blackberry wine for individual combat drill?

...Designation colors are brown and cyan, not magenta and light blue.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: October 05, 2015, 09:58:05 pm »

Newbie question alert. How far out from a wall can a floor be built before it needs a support under it to hold it up? Need to roof off my walls but I suspect I'm going to need supports in here. Do I need one every...three tiles? Like WffWffW
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: October 05, 2015, 10:03:19 pm »

there is no limit, any floor/wall that isn't literally floating will never cave in

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: October 05, 2015, 10:25:20 pm »

Soldiers carry supplies with them while training, usually 2 units of food and 1 unit of drink - but you can't just get 1 unit of drink out of a pot or barrel yet, since mug functionality hasn't been implemented. You have to get the whole thing. Think of it as dwarven strength training, if you prefer.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: October 06, 2015, 02:36:59 am »

Another newbie question, though I think I know the answer to this one. I'm not getting any outpost liason with the trade caravans, though the merchants come just fine. There's also a dwarven entry in the Civilisations menu, so they do exist. So...have I somehow ended up as a different dwarf civ, or have I totally not noticed that I've embarked on an island? I figure it'd be the latter, but dunno if that affects things or not.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: October 06, 2015, 02:51:13 am »

Another newbie question, though I think I know the answer to this one. I'm not getting any outpost liason with the trade caravans, though the merchants come just fine. There's also a dwarven entry in the Civilisations menu, so they do exist. So...have I somehow ended up as a different dwarf civ, or have I totally not noticed that I've embarked on an island? I figure it'd be the latter, but dunno if that affects things or not.

The merchants always come, regardless of the wider status of your civilization. It's possible that the liaison:

A. Does not exist. Your civilization is extinct, and your fortress is not currently populated by random high-ranking nobles because of some kind of bug.

B. Has been consistently waylaid on the road. The game calculates the safety of the liaison's route. If he ends up going through evil territory, for example, he might not make it.

C. Is being affected by some kind of bug. Being in alpha, this is always a possibility for almost anything.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: October 06, 2015, 05:44:02 am »

Ah, then it could be B...I think I'm fairly close to goblin territory, though they haven't sent more than thieves yet (I am apparently terrible at obtaining wealth). I do remember the nearby purple on embarking. When this fortress eventually dies I need to check the legends...

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: October 06, 2015, 01:06:27 pm »

Suppose that one dyes adamantine strands, and then smelts them into wafers.  Does the colour survive the smelting process?

Soldiers carry supplies with them while training, usually 2 units of food and 1 unit of drink - but you can't just get 1 unit of drink out of a pot or barrel yet, since mug functionality hasn't been implemented. You have to get the whole thing. Think of it as dwarven strength training, if you prefer.

Isn't that what flasks, vials, and waterskins are for?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:08:18 pm by Kneenibble »
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 268