Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431313 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2130 on: October 06, 2015, 01:09:51 pm »

Can you dye metal thead?

I suppose it could be, such as you can color trade depots by using the right color rock in the corrct order.  You should try it.  What are you waiting for, the apocolypse?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: October 06, 2015, 05:55:24 pm »

So I caught a rattlesnake =D I want to train this thing so maybe I can eventually get another one and breed the suckers because snake pit and leather. Does it need to be in a cage that's not built, or do I need to build it's cage in an animal training area?
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: October 06, 2015, 05:56:33 pm »

you can build its cage with it in it.  And deconstruct a full cage, ftm.

No babymaking goes on in cages, however, but if they are already pregnant theyll birth in one.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: October 08, 2015, 11:44:06 am »

Newbie question alert. How far out from a wall can a floor be built before it needs a support under it to hold it up? Need to roof off my walls but I suspect I'm going to need supports in here. Do I need one every...three tiles? Like WffWffW
there is no limit, any floor/wall that isn't literally floating will never cave in
As was several times experimentally made sure, you can hold 100-level high towers on one tiny support and as long there is some connection (bridges don't count) pieces will not fall apart.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: October 08, 2015, 11:55:20 am »

Newbie question alert. How far out from a wall can a floor be built before it needs a support under it to hold it up? Need to roof off my walls but I suspect I'm going to need supports in here. Do I need one every...three tiles? Like WffWffW
there is no limit, any floor/wall that isn't literally floating will never cave in
As was several times experimentally made sure, you can hold 100-level high towers on one tiny support and as long there is some connection (bridges don't count) pieces will not fall apart.

Constructed walls and floors are also impervious to all damage, so don't worry about the support collapsing - unless you order it deconstructed...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: October 08, 2015, 11:55:56 am »

And how glorious planned collapses can be.
PKs DF Mod!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: October 09, 2015, 04:21:03 am »

Constructed walls and floors are also impervious to all damage, so don't worry about the support collapsing - unless you order it deconstructed...
If object falls on tile which does have air under it, the tile also brakes. I got that when I was building a staircase tower to my skybridge and changed some flooring tiles at the upper floor: they got removed in such order one of them got discnected fro the rest, fell down and broke through six more levels of floors till it hit sold wall. Also, logs  from tree A that stay on trees B near of A will fall down when trees B are also cut and these logs can penetrate the ground if there is open space one lever lower.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: October 09, 2015, 05:18:10 am »

WHY ARE BARRELS EVIL no seriously I have a ton of food and empty, easily gotten to barrels and they won't make booze. Wrrrrrrry. Thank goodness there's a brook here but betting on tantrum spiral any second now.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: October 09, 2015, 06:16:25 am »

WHY ARE BARRELS EVIL no seriously I have a ton of food and empty, easily gotten to barrels and they won't make booze. Wrrrrrrry. Thank goodness there's a brook here but betting on tantrum spiral any second now.
Hrm. There's a couple of possibilities. First (obviously), make sure that the problem isn't a perceived lack of barrels. The following could also apply:
1. No one has the brewing labor enabled.
2. You've turned off the make into drink option for all of your food (unlikely, is in z -> Kitchen).
3. You've assigned everyone who has brewing enabled to a burrow that doesn't include a still, brewable plants and barrels.
4. Your still's been forbidden. Check it under 't'.
5. Job assignment screwiness. Try reloading the game.

In addition, you can mass forbid all barrels in your z -> stocks menu, if you have a bookkeeper, then unforbid them and try again. This is also a good, last-ditch tactic to free up some kind of item used in a building reaction that your dwarves don't seem to care for. Alternately, you can make some pots at your craftsdwarf workshop by anyone with the stonecrafting labor enabled. While pots are heavier, they work for all intents and purposes like wooden barrels do.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: October 09, 2015, 06:20:53 am »

Can you dye metal thead?

You can dye the thread, yes, and if it gets woven into metal cloth, you'll end up with dyed metal cloth. However, if it gets smelted into wafers, it's as if the thread was never dyed.

Don't honestly know if you can dye the cloth, but I can't think of any reason you couldn't.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:35 am »

You can dye the thread, yes, and if it gets woven into metal cloth, you'll end up with dyed metal cloth. However, if it gets smelted into wafers, it's as if the thread was never dyed.

Don't honestly know if you can dye the cloth, but I can't think of any reason you couldn't.

Thank you.  I haven't dared to dig into the adamantine yet to experiment: I am not prepared for the consequences.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: October 09, 2015, 11:54:52 am »

You can mine your adamintine and avoid the !!FUN!! if you're careful. Good tactic is to mine *around* the candy metal on every Z-level you can get access. Give yourself an up/down staircase nearby, burro[w] a handful of miners in around the spire, then start chipping away through the layer stone until you find the sweet, sweet candy column. Pretend you're mining around a diamond deposit in Minecraft. Once you have the extraneous stone removed, it should be pretty easy to see where the hollow tube is (look for the 2x2 unseen area in the spire which overlaps with the same area above and below it).

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: October 09, 2015, 09:42:56 pm »

After much flailing and assigned a dwarf to sit down and crank out rock pots, I finally got them brewing. I had to mass dump with the designate tool all the barrels with food in them and any in my finished goods stockpile, then reclaim them all. Finally the booze issue is fixed.

Not a moment too soon either, my fort seems to like attracting migrants...

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: October 10, 2015, 12:55:33 am »

Another question: has anybody got the trick for capturing fire snakes?!  Even with nether-cap animal traps, I only get the message "fire snake has burned its way out of captivity" as soon as the trapper catches it.  From the wiki, I thought that nether-cap traps would work.

You can mine your adamintine and avoid the !!FUN!! if you're careful. Good tactic is to mine *around* the candy metal on every Z-level you can get access. Give yourself an up/down staircase nearby, burro[w] a handful of miners in around the spire, then start chipping away through the layer stone until you find the sweet, sweet candy column. Pretend you're mining around a diamond deposit in Minecraft. Once you have the extraneous stone removed, it should be pretty easy to see where the hollow tube is (look for the 2x2 unseen area in the spire which overlaps with the same area above and below it).

Thank you, perhaps I will work on that when I'm feeling bold.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: October 10, 2015, 01:01:47 am »

whats the burning temp for nethercap and what the temp of fire snakes?

Fsnakes are quite a bit hotter than magma.  but my testing of regular cages on my giantized fsnakes indicated it took a period of time for them to escape.

Do vermin still escape elf cages when they arrive on site?  if so maybe this is an extension of that . . .
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 268