Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438889 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2850 on: May 31, 2016, 03:04:06 pm »

You could temporarily activate a civilian alert, or assign the foolish fishers to a new squad and order them to station off the ice.

In the future you can enable zone-only fishing and define the fishing zone to exclude any ice tiles to prevent this problem.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: May 31, 2016, 05:06:05 pm »

You could temporarily activate a civilian alert, or assign the foolish fishers to a new squad and order them to station off the ice.

In the future you can enable zone-only fishing and define the fishing zone to exclude any ice tiles to prevent this problem.

Ok, Good.

One would think that the fact that several dwarves have died already from that ice melting would be a sufficient deterrent...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: June 02, 2016, 08:26:37 pm »

Are bowls listed in the stocks screen? A goblin bowman lost hold of a {copper bowl}, the combat report is long gone, and now I can't find it to melt it down.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: June 02, 2016, 09:07:34 pm »

Are bowls listed in the stocks screen? A goblin bowman lost hold of a {copper bowl}, the combat report is long gone, and now I can't find it to melt it down.

If I recall, they count as tools, so they would logically be in that part of the stocks.

Leave it to dorfs to drink out of mugs like civilized humans, but not see eating cat stew as warranting the same degree of etiquette. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Drokk

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I've probably killed a million goblins by now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: June 02, 2016, 09:24:29 pm »

Hmm, so I have a fortress going quite strong, I just got the notification for a necro siege.  Fantastic!

Immediately after I unpaused they left the map.

Right afterwards, I got a goblin siege.  Aww yiss!

Four or so appeared, all left, and then two came back and just sat on top of the mountain until my military went up to kill em' dead.

Any ideas as to why this would happen?  I want to try my hand against the necromancers, but they always immediately flee!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: June 06, 2016, 03:07:58 pm »

TREES KEEP KILLING MY DWARVES!

Seriously, how do I find and prevent this from happening??

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: June 06, 2016, 03:25:33 pm »

Magma is always the answer.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: June 06, 2016, 06:35:51 pm »

TREES KEEP KILLING MY DWARVES!

a) Make walkways down from the trees. Would need 2 blocks for every tree cluster that dwarf can walk across, possible more if they flee multiple z-levels.
b) Cut them down and put nothing stockpiles on them. If you have no wood stockpile, a map can be clearcutted in less than a season no probs.

Some players dislike how empty stockpiles look or want to see other plant growth, though. If you're one of the two, you could
c) Build an embark-size floor. Trees can't grow up if they don't have at least 1 tile headroom or not a building or construction beneath. (However, if you go for building it in mid-air rather than on walking level, note that trees can grow through bridges.)

This option can cut down on material costs by covering parts of or your embark with 7/7 water or magma - trees won't grow up in either. However, note that your FPS will take a huge hit, especially if you use magma.

For finding it, periodically check your (u)nits list that nobody is hunting for vermin and what the No Job dwarves are doing. You can increase headroom on latter by giving the ones likely to climb trees backpacks and waterskins.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: June 07, 2016, 07:43:36 am »

Did wild cavern animals (elk birds, giant rats, troglodytes) always try to path directly into your fort, or is this a new thing?

I'm beginning to think they're trying to go to my temple to meet prayer needs, or something.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: June 07, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »

Two simple questions on preferences, really:

A: Does making a meal with dwarf's preferred type of booze and getting them to eat it satisfy the need for decent meals / give happy thought for it?

B: Does a dwarf who doesn't have explicit preference for figurines get happy thoughts from handling them(i.e. carrying from stockpile to stockpile)?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: June 08, 2016, 01:35:05 am »

Did wild cavern animals (elk birds, giant rats, troglodytes) always try to path directly into your fort, or is this a new thing?

I'm beginning to think they're trying to go to my temple to meet prayer needs, or something.

It's possible to have a single tile of disconnected biome in your fortress, then animals will migrate across half the map just to move near the center of the forest.

Like I had unicorns run in to the center of my fortress before, repeatedly without fail. They would also run off the map when they got edgy.

Forgotten beasts always path to the center of your fortress and don't actually have psychic meat detection powers like crundles.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: June 08, 2016, 09:00:38 am »

A: Does making a meal with dwarf's preferred type of booze and getting them to eat it satisfy the need for decent meals / give happy thought for it?

I read somewhere on this forum that it does, but I have never tested it personally.

B: Does a dwarf who doesn't have explicit preference for figurines get happy thoughts from handling them(i.e. carrying from stockpile to stockpile)?

As far as I know, no.  I don't think it would work even if the hauler did have a preference for them.  Hauling doesn't seem to work the same way as socializing near a statue, etc.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: June 12, 2016, 09:51:25 am »

How do I protect wells that access cavern level water?

Just had a FB evidently fly into my fortress through one of the wells and lay waste to us.  Just a channel with a well built over it.  Would a grate work/help or does that keep the well from operating?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: June 12, 2016, 10:09:58 am »

Wells can't pull water through a grate, but they can pull water that is above the grate, so one can help with bit of planning - assuming the grate is not pathable to from above (otherwise it is just bait furniture, nom.)

A better way might be to put a raising bridge into the tunnel where you fill your well water from with either lever (gets 2 mechanisms back) or pressure plate to raise it when well is full of water (and refill if your dwarves ever manage to somehow deplete it).

Alternatively, if you're in an area where cave-ins don't transmutate, you could cave in brook's top floor into your watering-area-to be, then dig out the wall from beneath and put water there instead, designating water (or fishing!) zone on top. (Note that wells can't pull water through brook floors.)

However, if you don't plan on accessing those cavern areas below where you want your well, it would be better long-term to use the temporary well to fill in cistern for your main one - if only because well bucket moves slower than a dwarf can carry water.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:19:01 am by Fleeting Frames »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: June 13, 2016, 01:09:56 am »

The system I usually use is to fill a cistern through a grate (from below) using water pressure and then draw water from the cistern with a well.  Probably worth building your cistern filling system with a linked cut-off device (bridge/door/whatever) to stop the flow of water.  An exit from the cistern back to the main fortress can be handy when something living falls into the well...

There are a bunch of articles about wells, water pressure, etc on the wiki which could be helpful.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 268