Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435380 times)

Jerky

• Bay Watcher
  • Hermit Punsmith
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3090 on: November 24, 2016, 10:27:30 am »

How do I get more than 1 person to start filling the pond up?
First, make sure you have more than one bucket available. If you have enough buckets and idle dwarves and it still isn't working, try placing an additional pond zone on top of the existing one. You can stack several zones on the same area and toggle through them with v.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: November 26, 2016, 11:01:41 am »

Locations and occupations do they fill any purpose than making things livlier?

Best way to deal with occupations? Dedicated dwarfs or just assign on top of other duties?

Can I change max dwarfs allowed in my fort on an already active save?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: November 26, 2016, 11:32:54 am »

Can I change max dwarfs allowed in my fort on an already active save?

Yes, just change the init files.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: November 26, 2016, 01:15:27 pm »

@Psilobe: Main fortress function other than interesting things happening (dances/stories/writing) is in needs satisfying. Needs give up to ±50% bonus of some sort.

Compared to just a meeting area, praying satisfies prayer needs, reading a book (in library, I guess?) satisfies abstract thinking need + perhaps learning need?. Finally, tavern satisfies merry-making, excitement, art-admiring, business and probably skill-using or learning needs, at least at for a bit.

Appointing performer/tavern-keeper is useful if your citizens won't drink alcohol on their own but need to (vampires or necromancers, for instance).

Appointing scribes and scholars gets you book copies and new books (later takes a while). Scholars spend the majority of time uselessly Pondering a topic!, which does fulfil abstract thinking need, but you only need 1 task to bring up need back into green from red.

Removing the dwarf from position makes their task more easily interruptible, though they may still continue at it until you remove the meeting area they're part of.

All of the above is with citizen-only zones. Default is visitors welcome, which brings you visiting performers, scholars and mercenaries from around the world, and who can petition to join the fort as resident, and latter citizens (mercenaries excluded).

They may show up with their own instrument, book or equipment.
If your library is stocked, a visiting scholar may read books in it, or even write one. Either way, they may take one home.
You can get dwarves to take away what they're carrying with dump designation, however.

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: November 28, 2016, 02:42:52 pm »

My fisherdwarf was bitten by a werebeast AFTER the werebeast tranformed back into a goblin. Does this mean he is infected, or does that only happen if they are still in werebeast form?

Jerky

• Bay Watcher
  • Hermit Punsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: November 28, 2016, 07:43:46 pm »

My fisherdwarf was bitten by a werebeast AFTER the werebeast tranformed back into a goblin. Does this mean he is infected, or does that only happen if they are still in werebeast form?
Probably not, as long as you're sure it had transformed back first. You could quarantine him anyway just to be safe.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: December 01, 2016, 02:00:16 am »

I'm at 10 000 000 million wealth. Been maxed pop a long time maybe 10 years in or so and only one dark force. 1 snatcher also...

Masterwork and I'm trying to kill all caravans to trigger the elevsame.  Humans and jotuns to attack. Should I keep slogging on or just resettle closer to hostile civs?

Also on embark can you see how close a civ is?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: December 01, 2016, 03:55:34 am »

Also on embark can you see how close a civ is?
With vanilla, you can do the 'p' to export the data to file just after worldgen. Then match up the names from the file with the city names on embark (moving the embark zone over the city to find its name). Not sure about other tools or how to handle the world map changes that will occur as a years go by.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: December 01, 2016, 09:04:49 pm »

Kinda. DF2014:Embark - Dwarf Fortress Wiki

If your world has more than 1 civ of a given race, you'll need to check in legends mode or by exporting which civ owns the sites.

Confirming those sites have the population to siege you is also important. In vanilla, hamlets/small forest retreats/dark pits are boring tiny affairs, not sure about MWDF races.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: December 01, 2016, 10:56:22 pm »

MWDF races are from Fortress Defense IIRC and these races will have similar differences in the size of their communities.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #3100 on: December 02, 2016, 02:42:28 pm »

Question: if a coffin becomes an object, and not a building by virtue of the ground it is on collapsing, does the body stay inside the coffin, and does the dwarf still count as being 'put to rest'?

Asking because I'm doing a stream fortress where one of the viewer-submitted stretch goals is to have a replenishing burial chamber over the mouth of a volcano that dwarves build coffins on, bury bodies in said coffins, then commemorate the dead by dropping them into the magma.
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: December 02, 2016, 03:16:04 pm »

Question: if a coffin becomes an object, and not a building by virtue of the ground it is on collapsing, does the body stay inside the coffin, and does the dwarf still count as being 'put to rest'?

I've not tried a cave-in, but I can confirm that coffins "unbuilt" by a building destroyer do not retain the body and do allow ghosts to appear. You'd probably have to carve memorials for each of your dwarves committed to the fiery heart of the mountain.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: December 02, 2016, 03:50:00 pm »

I've not tried a cave-in, but I can confirm that coffins "unbuilt" by a building destroyer do not retain the body and do allow ghosts to appear. You'd probably have to carve memorials for each of your dwarves committed to the fiery heart of the mountain.

IF IT MUST BE DONE, IT MUST BE DONE.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

SkeleBret

• Bay Watcher
  • shudders and begins to move!
    • View Profile
    • I make YouTube videos
« Reply #3103 on: December 04, 2016, 05:25:37 pm »

I've not tried a cave-in

I just tested cave-ins, and a skeleton popped out. Coffins deconstructed by a cave-in seem to behave the same way as regular deconstructed coffins, but maybe the body pops out with more force because it looks like it slammed against the wall a few tiles away.

Another test resulted in blood on the floor one z-level below, which appears to have been from a fresher corpse taking the fall, as the only other living dwarf caught in the cave-in had no visible wounds, and was pretty far away from the blood.

I also have a question, I waited about an in-game year for ghosts to appear from both methods and none did. I had previously buried and/or memorialized the bodies before ghosts appeared in the first place, so do ghosts appear from deconstructed slabs and coffins if they never appeared prior to being laid to rest? If so, about how long does it usually take?

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: December 04, 2016, 05:29:41 pm »

VEGETA, WHAT DOES THE WIKI SAY ABOUT HIS QUESTION:

(Under types of ghosts and causes)
Type: Murderous Ghost
Cause: Had a fell mood, had low ALTRUISM, or slab/grave was deconstructed
Effect: Murders dwarves.

Seems to imply that A. It will eventually happen, and B. It really pisses them off.

No idea about the time in between ghost pissing offness and ghost appearingness, though. I've seen it vary widely by as much as several years.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 268