Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434796 times)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3285 on: June 15, 2017, 04:56:19 pm »

I'm brewing booze constantly; sometimes they drink booze, sometimes they drink from the river. There's no pattern that I can see, nor is it always the same dwarves drinking from the river.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: June 15, 2017, 06:34:30 pm »

My dudes continue to drink from the river. No burrows or other weird stuff. All booze is accessible, in stockpile, underground. They have to walk right by it to get to the river.

How many dwarves in your fortress? 200? should be enough alcohol to satisfy around 40 dwarves for a single season. However, 200? alcohol could be stored in as few as 7 barrels, which would limit the number of simultaneous drink jobs to 7. If you have "clever" stockpile links set up then "barrels targeted for transfer" will also be unavailable for drinking, further limiting the number of simultaneous drink jobs.

If your barrels are stored in a tavern with sufficient goblets available, dwarves should refrain from holding the barrel while they drink, allowing more dwarves access to a limited number of barrels. But the best suggestion would be to brew more alcohol; a good standing supply is 10x per dwarf.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: June 15, 2017, 06:37:56 pm »

My dudes continue to drink from the river. No burrows or other weird stuff. All booze is accessible, in stockpile, underground. They have to walk right by it to get to the river.

How many dwarves in your fortress? 200? should be enough alcohol to satisfy around 40 dwarves for a single season. However, 200? alcohol could be stored in as few as 7 barrels, which would limit the number of simultaneous drink jobs to 7. If you have "clever" stockpile links set up then "barrels targeted for transfer" will also be unavailable for drinking, further limiting the number of simultaneous drink jobs.

If your barrels are stored in a tavern with sufficient goblets available, dwarves should refrain from holding the barrel while they drink, allowing more dwarves access to a limited number of barrels. But the best suggestion would be to brew more alcohol; a good standing supply is 10x per dwarf.

I have 8 dwarves, and there's never more than one drinking at a time; there are 15 barrels in the stockpile.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: June 15, 2017, 06:52:26 pm »

Well that's a new one. If you post a save on DFFD, someone will figure out why your dwarves are ignoring the alcohol.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: June 19, 2017, 12:20:54 am »

Try switching that "zone-only drinking" back to "prefer zone drinking" (o-z-d).  I believe the "zone" refers to a designated (w)ater source activity zone near actual water, not to your drink stockpiles or dining rooms.  (Though I'd love to be educated if I'm wrong.)

My question:  I've got a library up, but I haven't yet braved an inn.  The library's pulling three visiting scholars at a time; one always promptly disappears when a new one arrives.  Would starting an inn keep visiting scholars on the map longer so I'd have more than three at a time, or is this just what they do?

Edit:  and, as soon as I post that, I get more than three on the map.  Most recent has "heard was the place for long-term scholarship", which I hadn't seen before.  So maybe it's just time?  I haven't changed library layout or assigned scholars at all, though I do have more books written now.

Edit x2:  I have approved my first residency petition, that of one Shosa Ashropictham, goblin scholar.  I'm sure there's no downside to that, but out of an abundance of caution I'm enabling woodcutting on all my own scholars.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:54:23 am by Goldbeard »

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: June 19, 2017, 01:27:19 am »

Try switching that "zone-only drinking" back to "prefer zone drinking" (o-z-d).  I believe the "zone" refers to a designated (w)ater source activity zone near actual water, not to your drink stockpiles or dining rooms.  (Though I'd love to be educated if I'm wrong.)

Well, I've long since started a new fort and I'm not having the problem anymore, but I appreciate the effort. For what it's worth, this was happening regardless of what the orders were set to, and whether I actually had any drinking zones designated or not, valid or not.

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: June 20, 2017, 01:58:27 am »

I captured a hydra and tamed it but it reverted back to wild status. I keep it in a cage but I am interested what you guys do with a captured hydra? Is there a way to tame it for good or will it always revert back to wild status? Was looking for an option to slaughter it but didn't find it.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: June 20, 2017, 04:08:54 am »

When exactly does the yearly autosave happen?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:56:37 am by Goldbeard »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: June 20, 2017, 03:03:14 pm »

When exactly does the yearly autosave happen?

Spring, if I recall. Mine's turned off.

I captured a hydra and tamed it but it reverted back to wild status. I keep it in a cage but I am interested what you guys do with a captured hydra? Is there a way to tame it for good or will it always revert back to wild status? Was looking for an option to slaughter it but didn't find it.

If you get a breeding pair you can perma-tame the descendants. First-generation beasts will always revert.

You could always keep it somewhere where invaders must path and use it that way. Cry havoc and let slip the hydra.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: August 08, 2017, 08:30:30 am »

What plugins help offload graphic CPU usage?

is the Petcap applied to per species, or all pets? In other words if I have 2 dogs and 48 turkeys, can they both still breed?

Furthermore:
I've played for a long time thinking that the higher the minerals the better right?
But I've seen graphs about how you get far more ores if you don't have as many minerals.
Now my question is that which is really better for Forts (longevity, reduced trading, etc)? How does this effect the World? What is the best balance?
Why isn't there a way to ensure high amounts of gems, ores, and misc minerals?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:01:53 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: August 08, 2017, 12:59:00 pm »

Regarding plugins, I think mifki would know better than me.

The vanilla petcap is per species.

Regarding minerals, in my experience you absolutely get more veins and gem clusters with more - I found scarcities past 135 increasingly likely to be worse for custom 1x1 embark, though I eventually decided the best was 117 iirc. (I tried to maximize rock crystals as a major priority, so ymmv, though I also eyed having nearly all metals in useful amounts). I started with 500s and 200s and then ditched them. With 100s, can get up to 6 veins per embark tile, with 500 you get 2-4.

(ex from my (incomplete) notes { 202 scarcity: 700 iron, tetrahedrite, 251 adamantine, 150ish galena, silver, sphalerite, 42 gold, 31 platinum, 9 bismuthine || 6/22/101: reanimating, husking fog, 33 casiterite, 67 gold, 21 rock crystals (if iron was missing would be noted) || 117: 193 kimberlyte, 4 diamond_fy, 6 diamond_fy, 2 ruby-star, 43 rock crystals‼, 500 garnierite, 1000 iron, 300 gold, 200 tetra, 200 silver/galena, 70 platinum, 13 cassiterite, gypsum, bitu, lignite, jet, cinnabar, base 78,67% coverage w/o ogres } )

However, when it comes large clusters you only get 1 per 48x48x1, and further minerals will just remove your precious magnetite in favour of gems, which you may find useless. What large cluster you get is basically random, though, if your scarcity can roll one - I think one of the gens I ditched had something like 4k iron, in a system where every sedimentary layer had a magnetite cluster. This sort of rng means that 501 scarcity gen can be superior in every way you care to a 100 scarcity one.

Furthermore, you get more uniform appearance of fortress by having less minerals - less gems dotting the natural walls.

All of the issues can be modded or scripted away (such as with geomanipulator), though.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: August 08, 2017, 05:15:54 pm »

(ex from my (incomplete) notes { 202 scarcity: 700 iron, tetrahedrite, 251 adamantine, 150ish galena, silver, sphalerite, 42 gold, 31 platinum, 9 bismuthine || 6/22/101: reanimating, husking fog, 33 casiterite, 67 gold, 21 rock crystals (if iron was missing would be noted) || 117: 193 kimberlyte, 4 diamond_fy, 6 diamond_fy, 2 ruby-star, 43 rock crystals‼, 500 garnierite, 1000 iron, 300 gold, 200 tetra, 200 silver/galena, 70 platinum, 13 cassiterite, gypsum, bitu, lignite, jet, cinnabar, base 78,67% coverage w/o ogres } )

Ahh I'm used to playing around max number setting, but I have it set at 3000. I assume how much you get per map is increased by the number of layers you have.
I'm used to dealing well with trading. I normally can buy just about everything a caravan has to offer and still have surplus, but metal can be an issue.
Buuuut fair point on the uniform appearance, but I'm also fairly used to not focusing on symmetricality. I do love aesthetics, but I tend to focus on Security, Happiness, and etc.
With the edits I have running I don't have to worry about thieves, and just need to focus on importing anything I want, usually metal lol.

I am having issues with Rejections, and it usually happens right now in the waters/rivers placements, but sometimes gets stuck on elevation.
Not exactly sure what are reasonable gaps in River Start Initial and Desired, but also unsure about allocation of varying Min desired elevation etc
I do know I'm on the largest map and have tried to keep everything open while not requiring anything of too much
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: August 09, 2017, 07:09:27 am »

Yeah, it rolls per embark tile geobiome per z-level for each z-level and embark tile. Often it ends up similar, i.e. same clusters and veins nearby. That's for shallow 1-cavern 1x1, so the numbers can't compete than what you get on fatty 4x4 with default settings.

If you go for very low minerals, i.e. mineral scarcity 80000 world, then your civ needs to spread out a bit from initial 3x3 fort to get more resources available for importing. Base materials available to civs are tracked, but reaction products like bronze and steel are always available. You're not terribly likely to get goblins without iron given the massive area they tend to cover, though.

I remove all removable rejections when doing custom gens, expect perhaps for volcanoes if I use them. Mainly because they're unlike the default gens and very fine-tuned, but also because worlds with rejections generate differently on different platforms. If you haven't changed anything other than mineral scarcity in default parameters, though, it should eventually find a suitable one.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: August 09, 2017, 01:59:37 pm »

If you go for very low minerals, i.e. mineral scarcity 80000 world, then your civ needs to spread out a bit from initial 3x3 fort to get more resources available for importing. Base materials available to civs are tracked, but reaction products like bronze and steel are always available. You're not terribly likely to get goblins without iron given the massive area they tend to cover, though.

I remove all removable rejections when doing custom gens, expect perhaps for volcanoes if I use them. Mainly because they're unlike the default gens and very fine-tuned, but also because worlds with rejections generate differently on different platforms. If you haven't changed anything other than mineral scarcity in default parameters, though, it should eventually find a suitable one.

hrmmm I may try your generation rates, I'll likely embark on 5x5 or smth.
I thought the higher the number the more common the minerals, but less common ores or smth
Anyhow I spent the last two days working through advanced generation and trying to get interesting worlds, but mostly gave up and started working with Perfect World, even if it does a fair bit of fine tuning to get 1 world, I can de-narrow the elevation/landmass shape while having everything else roughly the same I guess.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: August 09, 2017, 11:09:34 pm »

I have a vampire in my fort. The killings started after a certain migrant wave happened, and it's taken two dwarves so far. One of them was one of my doctors.

What are some good vampire-detecting measures I can use? I don't have any undead on this map, and I'm using the current version of the game.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 268