Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 436095 times)

tapk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3300 on: August 10, 2017, 01:11:00 am »

a mothman guest came to my library, but didn't make it (if you are a mothman, don't ever mess with giant masked lovebirds!). my dwarfs took his clothes, but he had a book with him - and there is no way i can take this book :( my dwarfs don't bring it in a library (there is plenty of free space in bookshelves), unforbudding and even dumping doesn't help either :( how can i take the book? maybe dfhack can help? df 0.43.03.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:20:37 am by tapk »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: August 10, 2017, 02:19:40 am »

Mothman, there's no need to feel fear.
I said, mothman, pick a fight with the birds.
I said, mothman, 'cause you're in a new fort
There's no need to be a coward.

Mothman, there's a place you can go.
I said, mothman, when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good fight.

It's fun to stay at the new Dwarf Fortress.
It's fun to stay at the new Dwarf Fortress.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: August 10, 2017, 04:35:49 am »

@Ianflow: Nah. Everything is placed more often at lower mineral scarcity. Just that gems and veins are placed on top of large clusters and layers.

The embark you're making will have same layers, no matter how common you make you make your minerals for instance.

@Mantisman: DF2014:Vampire - Dwarf Fortress Wiki#Identification

I use dormitories, but if I wouldn't doing the 1x1 swim room civ alert (a 1x1 burrow/lockable room where dwarves are alerted in, with a lever inside to fill it with 4/7 water) would help, especially if your military doesn't use waterskins. Just let dwarves out when they start dehydrating, and any who doesn't go get a drink or sleep or food is likely to be a vampire.

@tapk:
select the book with loo'k' and call gui/gm-editor from dfhack on it. There should be a flag on the book that marks it as belonging to the mothman - unset it.

It'll eventually decay away on it's own though.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: August 10, 2017, 02:19:12 pm »

Does armor mass factor into attack momentum and charging/jumping attacks? I'm having difficulty testing this in the arena because the body masses generated vary too widely (goblins with base sizes from 5.1k to 7.9k)

Has someone already worked this out, and is there a way to get a consistent sample of test subjects in the arena?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: August 10, 2017, 06:12:29 pm »

For the second question, you could zero test subjects' variations in the raws you're testing.

tapk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: August 10, 2017, 06:30:16 pm »

@tapk:
select the book with loo'k' and call gui/gm-editor from dfhack on it. There should be a flag on the book that marks it as belonging to the mothman - unset it.

what flag should i unset?

UPD: Found the solution: <flags> - <trader> - <false> (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161402.0)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:10:47 am by tapk »

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: August 10, 2017, 08:15:15 pm »

I found the vampire with Dwarf Therapist (the wiki and other places I looked into didn't do the trick), but now she's stuck in the library.

I turned off her labours to try to get her into a burrow, but now she won't stop reading book after book! I ended up making her the only one in the fort who had the construction labour and tricking her into walling herself into a room just outside the library. It was originally going to be used for rental rooms, but hey, whatever.

Next question: How do I make sure I get some of my military to use bone armour? It's not their final armour, of course. I just want lightweight armour that gives coverage but still lets the low level marksdwarves to get armour user xp. It's not registered as "leather", is it?
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: August 11, 2017, 08:56:19 am »

Ah, wasn't aware you weren't aware of cursecheck.

For bone armour uniforms, can't select bone directly - set them to use "white greaves" and the like. Though you'll need to use leather armour for upper body piece and high boots.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: August 11, 2017, 06:23:55 pm »

I can't tell whether this is a bug or an intended effect I can't identify, but I and a companion have had our birth years set back by about 200 years in our unit data, though our histfig records show the correct birth dates. We're both werebeasts with the same curse, camped with 2 vampire companions a few region tiles from a necromancer's tower.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: August 11, 2017, 07:22:49 pm »

Werebeast ages are buggy in fort mode too. Though exactly 200 years reminds me of 43.01 advmode camps' well-aged wine.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: August 11, 2017, 07:42:24 pm »

Well not exactly. Mine was set back by 251, hers by 186. We both had dark hair and skin, now white hair and light brown skin.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: August 11, 2017, 08:22:09 pm »

I've got one vampire and one werepangolin walled into rooms, but I can't get this last werepangolin to wall themselves into a room.

How do I control the direction from which they build the wall? I tried setting a wall up on the opposite side I want them to stand and suspending that wall building job, but that doesn't seem to have done the trick.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know whether to hope that it thins out the population of poets and performers or not. If they get bitten, I don't think I can wall them off with burrows and stuff.

Werebeasts and goblin invasions being turned off are not my favourite features of the last few years of updates, to be honest.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: August 12, 2017, 06:11:31 am »

I can't tell whether this is a bug or an intended effect I can't identify, but I and a companion have had our birth years set back by about 200 years in our unit data, though our histfig records show the correct birth dates. We're both werebeasts with the same curse, camped with 2 vampire companions a few region tiles from a necromancer's tower.

It's a known bug.

I've got one vampire and one werepangolin walled into rooms, but I can't get this last werepangolin to wall themselves into a room.

How do I control the direction from which they build the wall? I tried setting a wall up on the opposite side I want them to stand and suspending that wall building job, but that doesn't seem to have done the trick.

Make them approach the building site from the inside by placing the material for the construction on the inside prior to designating the job.

You could also just build a lever inside the room, profile it for only your target to operate, and order it pulled NOW on repeat. Then have someone else build the wall sealing them in.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: August 12, 2017, 11:15:00 am »

Make them approach the building site from the inside by placing the material for the construction on the inside prior to designating the job.

You could also just build a lever inside the room, profile it for only your target to operate, and order it pulled NOW on repeat. Then have someone else build the wall sealing them in.

I'm working on designing a Lever of Mystery. Hopefully, an upright spike trap with 10 bronze spikes will be enough to instantly kill any undesirables in my fort. The werepangolin issue is still flaring up on a regular basis, and it's costing me quite a few dwarves.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: August 13, 2017, 03:19:33 pm »

her goes a question: Why by the hammer of Armok can i make all kinds of bone armour, except nothing for the torso?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 268