Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431241 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3510 on: April 16, 2018, 12:18:04 am »

The construction menu sorts material by distance. So a custom stockpile near the construction site that takes from the general stone block stockpile.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: April 16, 2018, 02:48:50 pm »

That's the best vanilla solution, which I use frequently.  It used to also improve construction speed considerably since random haulers could bring stones or logs closer to the building site for the carpenters and masons to use, but now that anyone can help with constructions that benefit is somewhat less significant.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: April 21, 2018, 01:57:34 pm »

Is it possible to gen a world with no evil rain or evil clouds?

I 've tried setting the "number of evil rains/clouds" to 0 using the advanced world gen but I still got goblin blood rain in my embark.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: April 21, 2018, 09:00:15 pm »

Does it carry syndrome? If it doesn't, I guess that's as mundane as it can get in an evil biome.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: April 21, 2018, 10:52:42 pm »

I don't know, I abandoned that embark before my dwarves would come in contact with the rain. I was hoping to get a reanimating biome.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: April 22, 2018, 12:31:06 pm »

Does it carry syndrome? If it doesn't, I guess that's as mundane as it can get in an evil biome.
Rains are coded as individual substances. If you look at an uncompressed save and search for "[INORGANIC:EVIL_RAIN_", you'll find the substance and its accompanying syndrome. This is called later in the file (search "[INTERACTION:REGIONAL_"), the specific line being either [IT_MATERIAL:MATERIAL:INORGANIC:EVIL_RAIN_1:WEATHER_FALLING_MATERIAL] or [IT_MATERIAL:MATERIAL:CREATURE_MAT:ELF:INDEX025:WEATHER_FALLING_MATERIAL] (with the 'evil rain' number and creature changing as appropriate).

tldr: No, it doesn't carry a syndrome, because goblin blood doesn't have a syndrome attached.

I don't know, I abandoned that embark before my dwarves would come in contact with the rain. I was hoping to get a reanimating biome.
The region that rained elf blood also reanimated, so those two things aren't mutually exclusive.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: April 22, 2018, 10:54:55 pm »

The region that rained elf blood also reanimated, so those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Oh. I thought they were :(

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: April 27, 2018, 05:24:20 am »

Is there a way (aside from building roads everywhere or constantly chopping them down) to reduce the number of trees on my embark?

I chose specifically to embark in a savanna which had supposedly scarce/sparce trees and now a few years later the whole map is so full with sapplings that they just spawn new ones the moment I chop the older ones down. It's becoming more of a forest with each passing month.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: April 27, 2018, 07:59:54 am »

Saplings don't grow into trees if the tile they are in has more than 4/7 water or an item, and they won't spawn in underwater either.

Road it.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: April 27, 2018, 08:29:47 am »

hmm a Venice - style town sounds like a good idea for my next fort.

For now I guess I'll have to resort to building roads. Thanks Magistrum

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: April 27, 2018, 10:24:08 am »

A while back, stockpiles used to prevent tree growth too - so you could just put stockpiles (accepting nothing) all over the place if that still works?

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: September 02, 2018, 06:05:49 am »

When dumping an item down a hole, does it fall straight down or deviate a bit?
Plenty of metal and flux on the higher Z-levels but none on the levels with the magma works; a dump in the middle of the 3x3 central staircase would fix both transport and stockpiling issues.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: September 02, 2018, 07:31:28 am »

IIRC, everything falls straight down unless given horizontal velocity by minecart or drawbridge.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: September 02, 2018, 07:36:45 pm »

Thanks.
My furnace operators and smiths will be a hundred times more productive tonight.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: September 06, 2018, 08:02:46 pm »

Is there a way (presumably via DFhack) to force your entity creatures to path/dig/move through dangerous terrain - say if you are playing an amphibious race?
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 268