Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431268 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3555 on: December 01, 2018, 08:12:59 pm »

I built a cage to serve as a jail after my latest fortress had its first destructive tantrum and I wanted to avoid the vandal being beaten to death.  I built a cage, designated it a jail, for use for justice, great. 

Now, a bunch of dwarves are hanging around it.  I checked to see if it was possibly set as a Meeting Hall, but no, it was not.  Do dwarves just like to gather near jails?
Some dwarves will loiter around hospitals and jails for some reason.

Meeting zones like gathering zones will continue to function that way even after they are changed, for good measure take down the zone and remake it as it'll remember its active passive functions.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: December 01, 2018, 09:13:45 pm »

Is there a way in the stock game to remove a bunch of buildings at once?

For example, I build everyone a cheap room to get going, and now I've spent time making nice fancy rooms and I want to bulk mark a bunch of old beds for removal so that everyone will move to new rooms.

It's tiresome doing it furniture-by-furniture with q-x.  Is there a way to mark a bunch of furniture for removal at once?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: December 01, 2018, 10:11:29 pm »

Maybe with DFHack, but there's no way to do it in the stock game as far as I know.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: December 02, 2018, 03:15:58 pm »

Is there a way in the stock game to remove a bunch of buildings at once?

If your buildings are laid out in a pattern you can use the in-built macro function to automate their removal.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: December 06, 2018, 09:56:20 am »

Does designating an occupied cage for dumping still strip the occupants of their equipment?  It never seems to work for me.  I see the items marked for dumping in the stocks page but no one ever comes to take them away.  Meanwhile, if I mark a bunch of stones for dumping, the hauling train shows up right on time.

This got some of my dwarves killed on an earlier fortress and I want to make sure I properly strip the goblins naked before opening them up to the firing squad next time.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: December 06, 2018, 07:01:02 pm »

Does designating an occupied cage for dumping still strip the occupants of their equipment?  It never seems to work for me.  I see the items marked for dumping in the stocks page but no one ever comes to take them away.  Meanwhile, if I mark a bunch of stones for dumping, the hauling train shows up right on time.

This got some of my dwarves killed on an earlier fortress and I want to make sure I properly strip the goblins naked before opening them up to the firing squad next time.
Did you claim the equipment? To strip equipment, I usually 'd' 'b' 'c' on the stockpile, then 'd' 'b' 'd' on the stockpile, then go to each cage with 'k' and 'd' to un-dump designate it. This claims all, dumps all, then un-dumps the cages. If that is not working, make sure you have a dump zone. If you create a dump zone first, near to the stockpile, the dwarfs will have a shorter walk to dump it all.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: December 07, 2018, 09:40:45 am »

Did you claim the equipment? To strip equipment, I usually 'd' 'b' 'c' on the stockpile, then 'd' 'b' 'd' on the stockpile, then go to each cage with 'k' and 'd' to un-dump designate it. This claims all, dumps all, then un-dumps the cages. If that is not working, make sure you have a dump zone. If you create a dump zone first, near to the stockpile, the dwarfs will have a shorter walk to dump it all.

I have a dump zone right there, but I just did d-b-d and then cleared the d from the cage itself.  I will try d-b-c, d-b-d, k-d.

Update:  I just tried.  I have a naked goblin now.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:46:38 am by OmahaMH »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: December 07, 2018, 11:43:39 am »

It is all in the wiki :p
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: December 10, 2018, 01:13:27 am »

I'm using Meph's tileset - including the launcher that comes with it. I'd like to gather fruit since that's what all my early forts have lived off of and I'm hoping for success in the plant-gathering industry here, too.

Trouble is, I don't know how to make a job order for stepladders since searching for stepladders brings up nothing. Are they called pedestals now or something?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: December 10, 2018, 03:04:26 am »

Are you playing with dwarves or a different race? I just tested (on a fresh install of Meph's tileset) the dwarves and they can make stepladders both through the manager's work orders (j-m-q) and directly through the carpenter's workshop. Other races might not have access to them.

Regardless of the above, you can always just gather the fruits that have fallen on the ground (configurabe through the zone's menu). Pedestals are furniture used to display your fort's artifacts.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Tarqeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: December 10, 2018, 09:57:03 am »

Do dragons still sometimes have children in the worldgen?

I noticed that on small maps the dragons are very often same gender as if to prevent this from happening.

alexsa2015sa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: December 10, 2018, 02:12:43 pm »

Do dragons still sometimes have children in the worldgen?

I noticed that on small maps the dragons are very often same gender as if to prevent this from happening.

They most certainly do - in a recently generated 48-megabeast world I had two dragon births.

But dragons appear to be far too frail for worldgen combat if there's someone to kill megabeasts at all, lacking rapid size growth of rocs and incredible resilience of hydras and bronzes. By year 370, independent of raw changes for that seed (I regenned that world a lot) I had ~ twenty hydras and twenty rocs (of them a few from 6th generation), and one single surviving dragon on an isolated island, plus colossi which didn't get smashed by something.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: December 11, 2018, 07:45:35 am »

I'm using Meph's tileset - including the launcher that comes with it. I'd like to gather fruit since that's what all my early forts have lived off of and I'm hoping for success in the plant-gathering industry here, too.

Trouble is, I don't know how to make a job order for stepladders since searching for stepladders brings up nothing. Are they called pedestals now or something?
If you are not able to build stepladders, you can also pick directly from trees by putting a plant-gathering zone directly in the tree and providing access to that level of the tree (a staircase or ramp adjacent to the tree). If your dwarfs stop moving in the tree (even though the path down still exists), deactivating the zone will free them.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: December 11, 2018, 09:56:56 am »

That's weird, by using "j" then "m" and finnally "q" typing STEP opens the job for me (Meph launcher as well)

Now I have a silly question, I do not get the rock versus stone difference?

rock and stone is kindda used as the same in wiki
An unmined rock or stone tile is a naturally occurring solid aggregate of minerals.
so I'm at a loss here. I'm on a starting embark, so only shale and cinnabar to test here (I want to set a make blocks work).
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: December 11, 2018, 10:15:17 am »

'Any Stone' could apply to economic and mineral stones.

Just to avoid any confusion, by default ores and causciate stones (used for steel and milk of lime etc) are initially barred from use from the (z) screen navigated by [TAB] to 'stone' but can be reactivated to use normally in workshop crafting. Same applies to catapult usage.

So if you wanted a native gold statue rather than wasting fuel to produce the 3 or so bars (probably from multiple ores) for a heavy carat gold metal one, or to appease a dwarf's/your own particular taste in decoration you can just unforbid it and let a mason or crafter take over.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 268