Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431355 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3570 on: December 11, 2018, 03:46:50 pm »

Now I have a silly question, I do not get the rock versus stone difference?

"Rock" is a generic placeholder copied from the job, e.g. "make rock blocks". gui/workflow is trying to suggest limits from more to less specific, but when the job uses a generic material the first two choices end up being very similar or identical. If you modify the job to use a specific stone (ex. cinnabar), then the job becomes "make cinnabar blocks" and the auto-populated output limit suggestions would be "blocks of cinnabar", "blocks of any stone", and "blocks of any material".

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: December 12, 2018, 10:26:38 pm »

Turns out I am having humans as a civilization. Which feels a bit strange, but, yeah, the game's messages say humans, and checking the description describes each fortress member as a "Medium-sized creature prone to great ambition". I dunno if those need stepladders to climb trees.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: December 13, 2018, 01:16:56 am »

I don't think creature size affects that, so they should still need stepladders to pick fruit from trees.  I'm guessing humans don't have the items accessible, but can't remember if they do in vanilla or not.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: December 13, 2018, 03:13:52 am »

Turns out I am having humans as a civilization. Which feels a bit strange, but, yeah, the game's messages say humans, and checking the description describes each fortress member as a "Medium-sized creature prone to great ambition". I dunno if those need stepladders to climb trees.

RAW modification ([site controllable]) / buggy RAW collapse cascade or likely some wierd w.g shenanigans.

Nobody really mobilises to attack the Dwarves very often unless its in current generated play*, or maybe the humans have a lack of other reachable opponents and a itch to conquer something and have been at war with the crumbling dwarf nation you chose for a while, which conquering a hillock after raiding it for the umpthteen time would eventually give way, especially in post w.g

* The difference being that motivations and how wars pan out when the player is active in the world in charge with a fortress or playing as a adventurer differs to world generation. They play much more smoothly, wheras worldgen wars tend to be mosh-pits, so usually its better to play early and for a long time in order to get wars/megabeast attacks that are balanced and fair in terms of how the raiding system works.

I can't say for sure, maybe releasing it as a bugged save on DFFD might help diagnose the problem or running it through the 3rd party legends viewer.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: December 13, 2018, 11:22:57 am »

RAW modification ([site controllable]) / buggy RAW collapse cascade or likely some wierd w.g shenanigans.

* The difference being that motivations and how wars pan out when the player is active in the world in charge with a fortress or playing as a adventurer differs to world generation. They play much more smoothly, wheras worldgen wars tend to be mosh-pits, so usually its better to play early and for a long time in order to get wars/megabeast attacks that are balanced and fair in terms of how the raiding system works.

I can't say for sure, maybe releasing it as a bugged save on DFFD might help diagnose the problem or running it through the 3rd party legends viewer.
A check of the Civilizations page reveals that the only two civilizations present are both human.

Bugged save file here. I think. I hope I didn't mess it up somehow.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: December 13, 2018, 06:08:01 pm »

If you mean the in game civ page (c-c) then The Spicy Nation is your parent civ and The Deep Fellowship is your own group. Seems like you haven't made any contact with other civs yet.

Legends viewer shows 71 active civs + 9 fallen. Most of them are some sort of animal peple, and there is only one white tigermen civ near your fort. Dwarves exist but are on the south eastern part of your world.

A quick look on your save's raws* show that humans just don't have access to stepladders. You can add it but it may or may not requires a new world (I am not sure)
If you want to play with dwarves without generating a new world their two civs are The Mint Doors and The Sabres Of Voicing.

I think what happend is your copy of Meph's launcher is set to allow for multiple civilizations of various races to be playable in fort mode and you just happened to pick a human one.

*Meph's raws vary greatly compared to vanilla or PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack (which uses vanilla DF's format), so personaly I can't really tell if something is messed up or not.

edit: I tried to add stepladders to your save's human raws. It didn't work for that save so I guess it really needs a new world.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:18:38 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: December 13, 2018, 06:40:08 pm »

I... dont' believe I remember having a choice of what civilizaiton I wanted to play. No matter. I've put in too much time and effort into my fortress to stop developing it now, and I've given up partway through too many forts anyhow.

Thanks for helping me understand what was going on,  by the way.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: December 14, 2018, 06:48:08 am »

You are welcome.  :)

On Meph's launcher there is a "Civ" tab which controls which civilizations are allowed to be controlled by the player after you generate a new world. In game now, in the embark screen (where you choose where to embark) you can cycle through the menus (use 'tab' key) until you get a list of all the playable civs where you can see their names and on the map where they have their cities.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Urist McConfused

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
MarksDwarves will not execute prisoner via Fortifications.
« Reply #3578 on: March 12, 2019, 04:30:15 pm »

What the subject says. I have a squad of Marksdwarves, a prisoner behind a line of fortifications, and the desire for murder. But these darn dwarves will not shoot the prisoner!

>Dwarves are carrying bolts, quivers, and crossbows in their inventory.
>Ammunition screen has bone and wooden bolts listed for combat.
>They do use both bolts for training.
>When given kill order, either state "no reachable target" or return to practice.

What could I be missing?

*Edit: The prisoner is freely walking, he is indeed not caged or chained. He's actually become a nuiscance now, due to the fact the dwarves will not close the door to the "range", and get constantly spooked by the sight of him.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:33:49 pm by Urist McConfused »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: March 12, 2019, 05:14:18 pm »

Have you tried moving them to the firing stand? Dwarves don't discern whether they are using melee or ranged weapons when pathing to target(unless that changed in some update), so if they can't get into punching range they think they can't get into shooting range either.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Urist McConfused

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: March 12, 2019, 05:27:42 pm »

Have you tried moving them to the firing stand? Dwarves don't discern whether they are using melee or ranged weapons when pathing to target(unless that changed in some update), so if they can't get into punching range they think they can't get into shooting range either.

I think you're onto something here. While having them stationed in the range, ONE did shoot at the human without a kill order, but that was the only interaction so far. Sadly it occurred while I was letting the game run. I'm currently building a cage trap to recapture the prisoner, more interested in letting the "arena" deal with this. While I'm here, do creatures that were captured once and released become immune to cage traps, or are they still reliable?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: March 14, 2019, 09:07:54 pm »

(Somehow I didn't noticed the question when I read it first, don't neglect sleep kids)

They still work, but you might need to re-web the cage if it is a special trapavoid trap.
They will not work if it is a tamed wild creature, since after taming it is considered a denizen of the fortress and won't trigger traps even after forgetting it's training.

Urist McConfused

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: March 15, 2019, 07:20:28 am »

Much thanks Magistrum. The problem indeed was them being too "far" from the prisoner. Stationing them right next to the fortification did the trick.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: March 15, 2019, 10:44:37 pm »

Glad to be of help.
There is bug 0002697 which causes sismilar behavior.
Elite Marksdwarves might be not be affected as they can shot through fortifications from a distance. (Elite enemies too, be careful.)
Some players like to use a statue to force dwarves next to the fortifications.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: May 19, 2019, 12:10:45 pm »

when I go to the missions screen, it says recover beetleages, but when I have a second mission, it says recover unknown Elf

Why does the name change depending on whether its the first mission or not? also the commander didn't come back, if he's dead shouldn't the mission disappear?
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 268