Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434795 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3600 on: June 04, 2019, 09:54:26 pm »

My dwarfs get their civilian clothing, plus a breastplate and mail shirt on the torso, before they add hand-helds and sometimes food containers, so they do travel much lighter. I would add extra mail shirts but rarely have the metals.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: June 05, 2019, 02:17:22 am »

My dwarfs get their civilian clothing, plus a breastplate and mail shirt on the torso, before they add hand-helds and sometimes food containers, so they do travel much lighter. I would add extra mail shirts but rarely have the metals.

Rather than physical weight encumberance i mean by matter of layers due to [ARMOR_LEVEL] tokens, mail shirts might have been something important to consider since they slide between the layers on the body of civilian clothes and underneath the breastplate/leather armor, add onto that cloaks and that's four layers just on the torso. Thanks, gives me a rough estimate of what range to look for.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: June 07, 2019, 03:09:50 am »

Is there any way to expel an insane dwarf? I don't want him to die of dehydration or something inside my fort's walls.

If I "Expel" him via v-p-e he stays in the fortress running around babbling anyway.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: June 08, 2019, 06:12:52 pm »

Is there any way to expel an insane dwarf? I don't want him to die of dehydration or something inside my fort's walls.

If I "Expel" him via v-p-e he stays in the fortress running around babbling anyway.
If all else fails, I think you can keep him alive by catching him in a cage trap and having other dwarves take care of him. (You can do this by hitting him with cave-in dust while he's standing on one.) I've heard you can also falsely imprison insane dwarves by sentencing them for a crime someone else committed (e.g., starting brawls, tantruming,) and being insane prevents them from ever being released.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: June 09, 2019, 05:18:34 pm »

I think you can get expelled insane dwarves to leave the site if you can get them to a map edge. You could try cages, imprisonment, or a hallway with instantly locked doors to encourage them to random-walk in the desired direction.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: June 09, 2019, 07:49:17 pm »

Is there a way to get raider squads to leave the map in a timely manner? I ordered a raid a month ago and a soldier is still on the map. She gets 75% of the way off it every time but keeps turning around to put on slightly different armor.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: June 09, 2019, 09:12:26 pm »

Military dwarfs will "Pickup equipment" as a priority to following their squad orders, so if you are crafting new equipment of the type assigned to that dwarf's uniform (or flasks/ backpacks) while the dwarf is heading for the edge of the map, 's'uspend the crafting jobs and wait until the dwarf is off the map.

You can check the details of the job (via job menu's ''j' or 'v'iew the dwarf's 'g'eneral status and hit Enter). This will let you know what they are going to pickup.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: June 15, 2019, 07:11:10 pm »

What creatures can I use for the GCS (Giant Cave Spider) silk farming purposes?

I've tried to chain tamed dogs (both common and war ones), wild warthog and even a citizen vampire -- the GCS doesn't seem to notice them at all! The only option is to use military dwarves but I don't want to use them like that tbh.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: June 15, 2019, 09:59:59 pm »

GCS aren't hostile, they need a military unit to trigger it. Try using a goblin or some other invader.
In a time before time, I had a name.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: June 15, 2019, 10:13:55 pm »

GCS aren't hostile, they need a military unit to trigger it. Try using a goblin or some other invader.
It says "Hostile" here though -- http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: June 16, 2019, 11:06:33 am »

It seems to be the "Active" status of a military unit that triggers the GCS to shoot webs. Maybe war dogs only work when they are assigned to a dwarf. Goblins captured during from a siege might work if you have them. As an example, I had a GCS attempting to destroy a wood door at a gate to the caverns, where the corridor was only 1 tile wide. Civilians and pets were walking past the GCS without problems. Then I send two squads of military dwarfs down there and the GCS went crazy with the webbing and suddenly there were 30 dwarfs webbed; (civilians and pets were getting into the line of fire too). Only a few dwarfs died but it took a long time before a dwarf was able move the 4 tiles to reach the spider.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: June 16, 2019, 09:57:54 pm »

It says "Hostile" here though -- http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature
Yeah it does. Some stuff happened back when various levels of seriousness were added to combat and now GCS aren't looking for trouble. They won't try to web creatures not in lethal combat, it seems, and they aren't particularly concerned about civilians. Your soldiers tough are definitely trying to kill it, so the combat level raises and they start webbing.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Arek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: June 22, 2019, 05:49:15 pm »

My guys refuse to equip weapons, specifically halberds.
I play with modded race. Some of its castes are slightly bigger than humans, but most are slightly smaller than dwarves. I checked that all the assigned dudes are well within minimal required size to wield them. Some, like squad commander should even be able to wield them one-handed. Other weapons, like simple spear they equip just fine. Assigning specific weapon doesnt help.
Any ideas?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: June 22, 2019, 10:31:46 pm »

That's a known bug.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: June 23, 2019, 01:06:33 am »

Any ideas?

Lower the [MINIMUM_SIZE:X] requirements of the weapons themselves, to your race's lowest average (or to a specific caste's average if you don't want all of them to be able to use them) in the raws. I'm not sure whether you can do this in an already existing world or it needs a new one.
  • In Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects/creature_custom_race.txt (or some other similarily named txt in the raw folder) look for the appropriate [BODY_SIZE:X:Y:Z] line for the adult creatures. "Z" will be the creatures average size when reaching aulthood. More info on creature tokens here.
  • Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects/items_weapons.txt is the general direction path. Changing this will affect only new world created after the change.
  • Dwarf Fortress/data/save/regionX/raw/objects/items_weapons.txt is for the already existing worlds. The "X" in "regionX" will be a number (1,2,3,..) and each of the worlds you have generated will have it's own region folder.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 268