Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434670 times)

Arek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3615 on: June 23, 2019, 03:02:54 am »

The affected castes specific size was already in 70k and 80k range respectivelly, while the others were in 45-55k range (and much more numerous).
I had to lower the minimum required size all the way down to 55k so it seems it goes for racial average (or maybe weighted racial average, taking the POP_RATIO into account).

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: June 23, 2019, 08:32:43 am »

That's interesting to know.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: June 25, 2019, 08:51:45 pm »

Is there an image or page that shows every single solitary tile of a "creature" between different graphic sets?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: June 26, 2019, 09:44:04 am »

Nope. Feel free to make one. The number of graphics sets is an unbounded set.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: June 26, 2019, 06:29:55 pm »

Would people care if I made one? Also, my last fortress was absolutely obliterated by the outbreak of a werelizard. Is it only bites that cause spread it around? Or attacks in general?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: June 26, 2019, 06:35:22 pm »

Would people care if I made one? Also, my last fortress was absolutely obliterated by the outbreak of a werelizard. Is it only bites that cause spread it around? Or attacks in general?
Bites

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: June 26, 2019, 06:49:51 pm »

And the best way of dealing with bitten people is to put them in a squad and lock them somewhere forever? Killing them once they transform? Can they ever be cured?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: June 26, 2019, 07:30:19 pm »

They cannot be cured. Only bites that break the skin and draw blood transfer the curse. If they bite and sever something, that does NOT transfer the curse.

Safest things to do in order:

1) Kill em'
2) Lock em away forever
3) Anything else is a matter of time before it nips someone and spreads the curse.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: June 26, 2019, 09:21:49 pm »

4) Expel them from your fort
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: June 27, 2019, 02:37:34 am »

I'm sorry for this barrage of dumb questions but...

If there's an attack going on somewhere in my fort and only not-so-good fighters are trying to fend the enemy off, is my best bet to create a "point" and send my squad there and hope that helps?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: June 27, 2019, 05:10:35 am »

Funneling the enemies to some sort of choke point is always a valid strategy, but your warriors will eventually get tired (even if the were extremely well trained). If you can postpone the actual fight, turtle up until you can create said choke point and
  • fill it with traps or
  • build a bridge to control how many enemies enter the battle area (so your dwarves can catch a breath between the waves) or
  • built a contraption to transfer water/magma to drown/burn them

If the above is not possible, arm every citizen with a weapon and shield and send them to their glorious death hope for the best.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: June 27, 2019, 07:45:59 am »

Would people care if I made one?
Generally speaking on any <>, not much - but there's just not many people who would look. Look for the amount of interest your average mod/utility gathers; a whole handful of different people is probably above average. Do what you want; if others like it its a nice bonus.

I may not be the best judge for how popular this one would be, though - I'm not the type to easly change a graphics /tileset once I've decided on one for the fort.
And the best way of dealing with bitten people is to put them in a squad and lock them somewhere forever? Killing them once they transform? Can they ever be cured?
5) Use them as anti-syndrome warriors, as the transformation cures that (don't let them see each other transform, though).
If you can get them husked and swole, they're pretty much as powerful biologically as they possibly can be, though you'll find them rather more difficult to control them - and them dropping their gear on transformation is an unfortunately substantial malus to it.
6) Or maybe some kind of self automated item drop training as the transformation cures infections, as to get named armor/clothes (which no longer wear out).

Note that if you lock them away for item production, you should host all buildings on 1z pillars in a 2z room with ramps leading up (for workshops, this means deconstructing 8 edge floors). Buildingdestroyers can't destroy such buildings (this is sometimes used to make door FB-safe). The armor stand for military training can be walled after the room from it is designated.
I'm sorry for this barrage of dumb questions but...

If there's an attack going on somewhere in my fort and only not-so-good fighters are trying to fend the enemy off, is my best bet to create a "point" and send my squad there and hope that helps?
I would send my better soldiers to take care of it, assuming the better soldiers are good enough to deal with the threat safely.

If they would take some losses, it's balance-of-value decision: which are more valuable to you.

If you'd not mind losing the not-so-good fighters, then they'll still keep enemies busy for a bit. Use that time to build walls & locked door(lasts a day against building destroyers), or w/e as appropriate to stall them longer so you can setup whatever to take care of the enemy.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:48:33 am by Fleeting Frames »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: June 27, 2019, 08:16:09 am »

Because you do not have the knowledge yet to assess if your squad will be able to win the fight, you should assume the worst and both send in the squad and begin walling off the remaining civilians (using every bit of Fleeting Frames's and Ulfarr's posts).

There is a great need for contingency planning in DF.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: June 27, 2019, 10:45:07 am »

There is a great need for contingency planning in DF.
I don't need to setup the bridge before breaching this layer, what's the worst that could be outside this wall anyway?
In a time before time, I had a name.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: June 27, 2019, 08:55:29 pm »

Are "werehumans", "weredwarves" or "wereelves" possible generated things for the game? Even by accident or by a weird glitch?
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 268