Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431359 times)

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3675 on: July 13, 2019, 09:37:48 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:46:07 am by catacombs »

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: July 13, 2019, 10:10:53 pm »

Obsidian 16×16

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: July 14, 2019, 01:41:43 am »

I have two barons in my fortress. Look at this image.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those two rooms at the sides are a bedroom and dining area. Look how much expensive stuff I put in there, and the room values will not. go. up. What am I doing wrong?
So those are the physical rooms... are there room designations inside each one? Did you 'q' a throne and make the room into an office, assign it, etc. Are any of those room designations overlapping? Because that greatly reduces room value. I ask this way because that looks like gold furniture, so you should have seen some boost in room value on the noble's screen. More tips to boost value are in that wiki link.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: July 14, 2019, 04:27:07 am »

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong baron the whole time. Good to know my retardation pills were working the whole time.

How useful for siege buildings against incoming enemy sieges? Or are those meant for attacking other civilizations?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3679 on: July 14, 2019, 07:01:05 am »

How useful for siege buildings against incoming enemy sieges? Or are those meant for attacking other civilizations?
2011 talk about ballistas versus goblin sieges:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78558.0
The siege engines are for killing invading goblins.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: July 14, 2019, 04:05:27 pm »

Pre-43.04, used to be that you could use wooden ballista for childcare training. They're more dangerous now, but still.

Thus, recommended use has been previously making enemy dodge and fall; I guess you could use them to soften non-dodging enemies up a bit now as well. In terms of effectiveness, costs a lot of space (to dig) for not all that deadly result compared to most other defensive designs of that size.

But I got to say, the flying giant arrows still look pretty damn cool.

You may find the secondary uses - tree deletion, stone stockpiling - more practically useful.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: July 15, 2019, 06:35:14 am »

Five splattered goblins with one ballista bolt is pretty cool.   :P  More chance of winning the lottery than seeing that again...

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: July 15, 2019, 10:20:12 am »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:47:56 am by catacombs »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: July 15, 2019, 03:27:52 pm »

Anyone have any idea how to increase the odds of some hillocks or other sites to spawn as linked to your fort? It feels totally random from my past few fort experiences (usually getting either a bunch of sites in the first two years, or none at all ever).
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: July 15, 2019, 08:41:17 pm »

Anyone have any idea how to increase the odds of some hillocks or other sites to spawn as linked to your fort?

According to Toady, you need to be on the same continent as your civilization, and that civilization has to have a site with sufficient population. You also need to reach the old nobility triggers (population, wealth, etc.). Other research has suggested that your fortress needs nearby tiles with the proper biomes for hillocks. Your civilization may also need to be below the civ site cap to found new sites. 

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: July 16, 2019, 03:02:49 am »

How does the game decide when a dwarf sets up a caged prisoner? Do dwarves just stick stunned enemies in a free cage whenever they can?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: July 16, 2019, 06:27:17 am »

Nope. You have to catch enemies in cage traps. (Unless using this script, I suppose.)

Note that, for example, you can pasture or chain a wild animal, but after doing so can't put them back into cage with simple assignment (unlike for your own creatures, who you can simply assign-unassign from built cage menu).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:28:49 am by Fleeting Frames »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: July 16, 2019, 01:32:45 pm »

Build a Cage Trap - 'b' 'T' 'c'
     I have some of these near my entry gate into the caverns.
Build a Cage - 'b' 'j'
     I have some of these near my dining room so dwarfs can gawk at caged crundles and cave ogres.

Plenty on the wiki about how to use these...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: July 16, 2019, 02:10:41 pm »

That means all those cage traps I placed paid off when that siege came. Do sieges get bigger dependent on either time or fortress value?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: July 16, 2019, 02:50:28 pm »

Seems so, but them having population and you being what they wish to attack most is also important (though you can amolieorate that with raids in .44). I think fort population also matters, given how there's two "lower tiers" sieger caps in memory based on what you set it at.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 268