Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434381 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3765 on: July 30, 2019, 04:14:05 pm »

You know when a liaison sets up the "priority" for items they want? Is there a way to go back and check that?
It is in the civ screen... 'c', 'c', then pick that civ and look around for the trade agreement info.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: July 31, 2019, 06:11:18 am »

Does a designation to engrave floor always look like it's been "marked", as in the dull blue "blueprint" marker feature?

I tested it out on a fresh vanilla install (44.12) in a new folder. New save, I dig out a rock room and smooth it. Wall engravings have the usual bright blue designation. Floor engravings also have it at first, but the moment the game unpauses, it reverts to the "marked" state. I can toggle it back by using d-M twice, but it immediately reverses on unpausing.

Surprisingly, the dwarves still engrave the floor. But visually it's annoying as it makes it difficult to tell what's actually "marked" and what isn't.

I only started playing again this summer. This is normal, right?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: July 31, 2019, 06:15:41 am »

Yep. I noticed it too on my first fort. It’s normal

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: July 31, 2019, 06:23:30 am »

And here I thought I was losing my mind.

Thanks. :P
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: July 31, 2019, 06:45:49 am »

You are welcome

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: August 01, 2019, 06:53:32 am »

several years in to my fort I realised I could harvest the lands by designating a plant gathering zone and providing stepladders. I've now produced somewhere of >50 stepladders as they keep getting stolen by birds. How do I get my dwarfs to stop leaving them out there. Some of my dwarfs ain't quite so happy on all those masterwork pieces being stolen.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: August 01, 2019, 05:53:40 pm »

I've now produced somewhere of >50 stepladders as they keep getting stolen by birds. How do I get my dwarfs to stop leaving them out there.

Stepladders are stored in a furniture stockpile with "other large tools" enabled. However, dwarves stockpiling ladders while harvesters are up in a tree may lead to even more problems.

Some of my dwarfs ain't quite so happy on all those masterwork pieces being stolen.

You could just lock up all the masterwork ladders and use a novice carpenter to produce low-quality disposable ones instead.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: August 02, 2019, 04:11:38 am »

Of course, while harvesters are harvesting plants while standing on a stepladder, it is marked TSK to exactly prevent that:

||

I imagine that they lose access to the ladder when the birds show up and scare them, though. In that case, it doesn't matter whether the stockpilers or birds move it away.

I'd recommend arming the harvesters with cheap crossbow and bolts. Birds cause vengeful thoughts, and it can be a hassle to start making them after they're already present.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:15:32 am by Fleeting Frames »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: August 02, 2019, 02:20:04 pm »

Of course, while harvesters are harvesting plants while standing on a stepladder, it is marked TSK to exactly prevent that:

Several players reported stepladder thefts in forum posts and a bug report. The report is since closed, but the closing comment makes no mention of addressing the stepladder theft (nor is it mentioned in any release notes). Either the reported thefts never happened, they were fixed coincidentally at some point, or they may still occur under some unknown conditions. I haven't investigated it, so it may be working... or it may not.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: August 03, 2019, 05:05:43 am »

Looking at the posts being made in 2019 while 44.01 being released in 2017, I'd guess the third. I'm merely guessing being interrupted by birds removes the TSK flag, but Psilobe would be able to investigate best.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 05:08:18 am by Fleeting Frames »

Meridian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: August 03, 2019, 02:38:54 pm »

- I read somewhere that channeling is known to cause lag, is there any reason for this?

- Are Danger Rooms completely broken now? I haven't tried it out, but are low quality training spears really that dangerous?

- if I retire my fort, it's possible to create another from the same civ nearby right? I'm trying to think of ways to manipulate the holdings functions so that I can expand my reach.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: August 03, 2019, 11:44:57 pm »

- Pathing map works differently now than previously; it's generated at embark. Retire-unretire seems to fix the pathing map (but has no guarantee of improving the overall fps).

- Dodging minecarts bouncing on lowest speed rollers is still perfectly safe. Others, well..I've caused red wounds on dwarves in full bronze by dropping featherwood earrings (smallest, lightest item in game), which means potential infection that may kill them. I haven't actually tested spears themselves though; I've seen some mentions that they're fine with proper equipment, but more mentions of them being dangerous. Well, trying out cost nothing.

- Yes. Many dwarves from your previous fort will migrate to your new fort.

Meridian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: August 04, 2019, 10:52:43 am »

Oof even fucking coinstar's broken. I thought that might replace the spears, which I heard can work out with the right armor and 5 cloaks. I figured I'd do coinstar as everything I saw about the spears (my original go-to due to simplicity) suggested even with armor you're likely to get muscle damage or other injuries that stack over time.
Which is a shame as I was really hoping to give my military training a boost.
May try out that minecart thing, got a link to a general theory/guide on it?

Hm, well the idea is that I would be retiring, creating a new fort and setting that up, retiring that, and going back to the first one. The whole point of it is to get an associated fort that is closer to another civ in the hopes that I can become economically linked to those sites through my secondary holding. I probably am misunderstanding that system entirely.

Currently I'm having some issues. My animal trainers aren't doing much training, my butchers aren't butchering the animals, and my tree-cutters aren't cutting. I also don't seem able to designate one specific tree for cutting which is bothering me, as I thought it might be markers, but no matter what I do the color of the trunk doesn't change to show it's designated. Others change, but I don't think they're actually getting cut down.
People are also really fond of listening to poetry or stories in the tavern. I'm thinking of turning it as a location off, but I don't know if that will help at all.

edit: for the tree thing I'm going to try a mass cube un-designation, but I think I already did one of those through the bulk cutter window
edit2: It worked 🎉🎉🎉
edit3: forgot butchery requires a tamed animal
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:30:05 pm by Meridian »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: August 04, 2019, 02:17:51 pm »

Oof even fucking coinstar's broken. I thought that might replace the spears, which I heard can work out with the right armor and 5 cloaks. I figured I'd do coinstar as everything I saw about the spears (my original go-to due to simplicity) suggested even with armor you're likely to get muscle damage or other injuries that stack over time.
Which is a shame as I was really hoping to give my military training a boost.
May try out that minecart thing, got a link to a general theory/guide on it?

Hm, well the idea is that I would be retiring, creating a new fort and setting that up, retiring that, and going back to the first one. The whole point of it is to get an associated fort that is closer to another civ in the hopes that I can become economically linked to those sites through my secondary holding. I probably am misunderstanding that system entirely.

Currently I'm having some issues. My animal trainers aren't doing much training, my butchers aren't butchering the animals, and my tree-cutters aren't cutting. I also don't seem able to designate one specific tree for cutting which is bothering me, as I thought it might be markers, but no matter what I do the color of the trunk doesn't change to show it's designated. Others change, but I don't think they're actually getting cut down.
People are also really fond of listening to poetry or stories in the tavern. I'm thinking of turning it as a location off, but I don't know if that will help at all.

edit: for the tree thing I'm going to try a mass cube un-designation, but I think I already did one of those through the bulk cutter window
edit2: It worked 🎉🎉🎉
edit3: forgot butchery requires a tamed animal
When dwarfs are in the tavern with listen to story jobs, they will stop when there is other work to be done, so the problem is with determining why they are not doing those other jobs.

Animal trainers... I think you need to toggle a zone for training before any training happens. For the woodcutting, is the woodcutter in the hospital, working a repeat-job in a workshop, or without axe?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: August 04, 2019, 03:51:46 pm »

Dodge training - gives about 1k exp per day ±10% depending on dwarf, as long as only 1 dwarf is in the 1x2 box. Keeping them in past legendary is helpful to max out attributes like Spatial Sense.
Here's a dfma poi from my sig - though that design suffers from old "order a squad somewhere, only half show up" issue. The floating doors over ramps are to prevent buckets and clothes from jamming them open like some kind of monarch moth.

There's probably a design possible that uses charging through walls or something to have your recruits get into the dodgetron one at a time without waiting on them on your part.

Beating on wildlife to train armor user to legendary still works, but without spears shield user has no fast exploit for it.

If you want to give an entire large but not legendary military a quick boost without much micromanagement, I recommend jamming them into two tiles with 13/7 water - the half-time drowning will give about 550 points/month to toughness and endurance (doing three tiles with 776 will not boost this). Civ alerts are excellent for doing this for whole population.

If you want to butcher some never-tamed wild animals, you can just kill them with military as well.

PS: Don't know enough about holdings to say.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 268