Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Updating the tileset page  (Read 11339 times)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Updating the tileset page
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:31:04 am »

So this page needs updating:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets

From what I can see, the changes are as follows:

• 005: remove all; add: Blossoms, trees on world and quick travel map(what about quarry bushes?)
  • 006: remove all; add: plump helmets, trees on world and quick travel map(what about quarry bush leaves?)
  • 010: add: trunk%
  • 020: remove: highwood trees
  • 023: remove: cedar trees
  • 024: remove: Pine trees, Larch trees
  • 033: add: sound indicator in sneaking mode
  • 034: add: fallen leaves
  • 037: add: footprints in sneaking mode
  • 042: add: chestnuts, other seedpods, moving armies on quick travel map
  • 059: add: twigs$
  • 079: add: trunk$
  • 091: add: footprints in sneaking mode
  • 127: add: trunk$
  • 166: add: Goblin settlements on world map
  • 172: add: roots$, branches$
  • 176-178: add: fallen leaves
  • 179: remove: Tunnel tube trees add: branches$
  • 180: remove: glumprong add: branches$
  • 182: add: branches$
  • 185-188, 200-206: add: trunk$
  • 191-199: add: branches$
  • 207,209,217,218: add: branches$
  • 219-233: add: composite footprint images
  • 244: remove: willow tree
  • 254: add: composite footprint images
  • 255: add: composite footprint images (not sure if it's this or #000)

Anything else I'm missing?

Edit:
Went ahead and changed it already.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets
I left a {{verify}} in cases I wasn't certain. Some input on my choice of words would be nice. As a non-native speaker, I'm not sure if "blossom" is the right word. Is "sneaking mode" alright? Should we just use "maps" instead of "world and quick travel maps"? Anything else?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:22:40 pm by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Updating the tileset page
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:47:33 pm »

I don't think it's correct to remove all the tree tiles. On the world map, forests are shown by what trees are in them (plus the pine tree, willow, and palm tree, which are special). So only bellow ground trees should be removed.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:00:16 am »

What do you think about duplicating the list, one for the general use in game, and one for the map.
Or better, a table with columns for maps (including interface and minimaps?) and general use in game.
Additional columns that might be useful:
- tile is assigned to multiple objects that can't be switched with raw/init changes (Yes/No)
- tile is used in text at all (Yes/No)

If you can sort by columns, this would make it a bit easier for tileset artists, too.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 02:06:48 pm »

I like the two column approach. In world-gen I've just been sort of guessing what things mean - it'd be nice to have a place to look it up.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 12:20:04 am »

What do you think about duplicating the list, one for the general use in game, and one for the map.
Or better, a table with columns for maps (including interface and minimaps?) and general use in game.
Additional columns that might be useful:
- tile is assigned to multiple objects that can't be switched with raw/init changes (Yes/No)
- tile is used in text at all (Yes/No)

If you can sort by columns, this would make it a bit easier for tileset artists, too.
There's a map legend page that's more suitable for keeping track of what tiles are on the map. I don't think this is the place to split them. It might be good to put the list of forest trees there I guess.

But having the tileset information in a table instead of a list may be good. Might be easier to read than the * $ and # marks. And it might be less cluttered as more animals and plants are added.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:35:43 am »

Quote from: King Mir
There's a map legend page that's more suitable for keeping track of what tiles are on the map.
I don't think this is the place to split them. It might be good to put the list of forest trees there I guess.
And it might be less cluttered as more animals and plants are added.
Ah, didn't know that. This changes things.
I would definitely take out the detailed tree list, and just replace it with "forest on map", linking to the map legend page. [[Map_legend|forests on map]], or whatever.
Similarly, I don't think it's beneficial to even list creatures with the letters. A simple "creature" with a link to the creature list should be enough, no?

But having the tileset information in a table instead of a list may be good. Might be easier to read than the * $ and # marks.

I tried it out yesterday and it does look better in some ways, while worse in others.
I don't know if it's better to have 16 separate tables for each row, or 1 large table for all 16 rows.
For now, I have one large table with titles in between every 16 symbols.
Columns for
-tile # and symbol (thought about using 2 separate columns for the # and the symbol, but it's not really necessary)
-use in game (both fortress and adventure mode)
-use in maps
-use in interface, including text
-use for status (drowsy, hungry, etc)

The column for status does more harm than it does good (because it's only a handful of symbols that use it), so I will merge it with the "used in game" column as general "status indicator" with a link to a (if necessary new) page for details.

I believe that
1) at least a simple table looks better than what we have now
2) one way or another, the information what tiles are used for what (game, map, interface/text) should be separated better.

The question is, if one large table or two tables work better.
The former would be a 256x4 (or 16 16x4) behemoth. It does work, but it's quite large; taking more space than the current solution.
In the latter case, you'd have one simple list - basically what we have now converted into a table - and another one (256x1 or 16x16 square like the character table?) that lists which symbol is used for what.

Having 2 tables might be more annoying to maintain, but the complex formatting in the large table is probably its own beast, too.

I'll try it out and post some examples.

Edit:
I forgot:
[...]keeping track of what tiles are on the map.
I don't think [the tileset page] is the place to split them[...]

For normal users that want to find out what something means, no. But for modders and tileset creators, the overview the tileset page gives is a much better format.

here it is as one table:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Paste into this
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:28:17 am by CLA »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:13 am »

There's a map legend page that's more suitable for keeping track of what tiles are on the map.
I don't think this is the place to split them. It might be good to put the list of forest trees there I guess.
And it might be less cluttered as more animals and plants are added.
Ah, didn't know that. This changes things.
I would definitely take out the detailed tree list, and just replace it with "forest on map", linking to the map legend page. [[Map_legend|forests on map]], or whatever.
Similarly, I don't think it's beneficial to even list creatures with the letters. A simple "creature" with a link to the creature list should be enough, no?
I think it's useful for modding to have a place where these things are sorted by the tile they use instead of by creature type or the like, as they are in the creature page. Maybe this could be a new page or section though.

One thing that the current layout doesn't make obvious with forests is that there are generic forest tiles that can't be changed, and tree tiles that can be. So if you want to group the forests together you have to keep that distinction. For example tile 6 is used as both a generic indicator for broadleaf forests, as well as for various species in it, and therefore must look something like a broadleaf forest, whereas tile 5 can be used for something else if all the plant raws were made to point to a different tile.

For normal users that want to find out what something means, no. But for modders and tileset creators, the overview the tileset page gives is a much better format.
But a modder needs to know what all the things a tile maps to especially, and what things can be made to use a different tile or graphic. Whether it's on the map or detail mode is secondary information. At least that's the case for non-TwbT tilesets. So I think whatever table is used needs to be used to make that distinction clearer. You could do it with separate columns for changeable and non-changeable. You might be able to instead use the background color of the table to indicate that, although you need a good way to indicate that a tile has some things changeable, others not. A problem here is you can't have too many columns, because each one must be wide enough to hold a description of the tile.

I don't understand what you plan to do with a second table, but if it's going to split where to lookup if a tile is used for anything, that's probably not a good thing.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 11:27:08 am »

One thing that the current layout doesn't make obvious with forests is that there are generic forest tiles that can't be changed, and tree tiles that can be. So if you want to group the forests together you have to keep that distinction. For example tile 6 is used as both a generic indicator for broadleaf forests, as well as for various species in it, and therefore must look something like a broadleaf forest, whereas tile 5 can be used for something else if all the plant raws were made to point to a different tile.
Could you elaborate? Where is the generic broadleaf forest tile used and where are the specific species forest tiles used?

Whether it's on the map or detail mode is secondary information. At least that's the case for non-TwbT tilesets.
I don't necessarily agree completely. The more graphical tilesets like Phoebus or Mayday definitely have a heavy bias towards fortress mode and whether map tiles look suboptimal is secondary to a good look in fortress mode. Still, I'm not entirely convinced it's that useful to separate them either. Considering there's a section below that deals with characters that make text look wonky, I'm also not sure it's necessary to have a separate column for interface (even less so than the map column, in fact).

I don't understand what you plan to do with a second table, but if it's going to split where to lookup if a tile is used for anything, that's probably not a good thing.
Yeah, I discarded that idea by now.

I think it's useful for modding to have a place where these things are sorted by the tile they use instead of by creature type or the like, as they are in the creature page. Maybe this could be a new page or section though.

I don't know about that. There wouldn't be much to gain from another format for creatures, but having a better overview over what tiles are used for plants wouldn't be too bad. That could be appended to the tileset page, similar to the list of unused symbols and list of symbols used in text.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 04:40:27 pm »

Could you elaborate? Where is the generic broadleaf forest tile used and where are the specific species forest tiles used?
They are both used on the world map. Forest and swamp tiles have a default tile, but also appear represented by one of the trees found in the biome. The tree tiles are the ones used for detailed trees in 0.34 and can be modified in the raws. The default tile cannot. Swamps have a default tile, and an additional tile that is never overridden by the tree tiles. Many trees have a tile that matches the default for the type of forrest they are found it. Currently the tileset page list all the tree types as a forest with a *, and the defaults as the biome without a *. This is based on research by Pheobus.

Whether it's on the map or detail mode is secondary information. At least that's the case for non-TwbT tilesets.
I don't necessarily agree completely. The more graphical tilesets like Phoebus or Mayday definitely have a heavy bias towards fortress mode and whether map tiles look suboptimal is secondary to a good look in fortress mode. Still, I'm not entirely convinced it's that useful to separate them either. Considering there's a section below that deals with characters that make text look wonky, I'm also not sure it's necessary to have a separate column for interface (even less so than the map column, in fact).
The information all still needs to be there. I'm not sure what the best way to display it either. I think a table for the whole thing looks better, even if it just has two columns, but you can't use the table of contents to jump to the right row, and it's more annoying to edit.

PS:
A good example is tile 11. It's used for bags, male sign in text, and a few shellfish. So the most important thing for a modder is to know that it's used for bags and the male sign, and secondary that it's used for shellfish. So whatever way it's displayed, those facts should be emphasized in that order. A typical tile-set maker will make the tile look like a bag, and change the shellfish to us a different tile, plus a graphic.

I don't know about that. There wouldn't be much to gain from another format for creatures, but having a better overview over what tiles are used for plants wouldn't be too bad. That could be appended to the tileset page, similar to the list of unused symbols and list of symbols used in text.
Wanting such a list for creatures is actually one of the reasons I took an interest in the tileset page in the first place. But I'm ok with a separate tables for creature and tree types, and possibly others, as long the main table has an entry indicating that it's used for the broader type. For creatures, it would not be a small table by any stretch.

PPS. Stones are another thing that could use it's own table.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:57:50 pm by King Mir »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 01:44:19 pm »

They are both used on the world map. Forest and swamp tiles have a default tile, but also appear represented by one of the trees found in the biome. The tree tiles are the ones used for detailed trees in 0.34 and can be modified in the raws. The default tile cannot. Swamps have a default tile, and an additional tile that is never overridden by the tree tiles. Many trees have a tile that matches the default for the type of forrest they are found it. Currently the tileset page list all the tree types as a forest with a *, and the defaults as the biome without a *. This is based on research by Pheobus.
So, if we have a forest on a world map, which tiles will it select? just checkerboard it between generic and specific?

A good example is tile 11. It's used for bags, male sign in text, and a few shellfish. So the most important thing for a modder is to know that it's used for bags and the male sign, and secondary that it's used for shellfish. So whatever way it's displayed, those facts should be emphasized in that order. A typical tile-set maker will make the tile look like a bag, and change the shellfish to us a different tile, plus a graphic.
[...]
separate tables for creature and tree types, and possibly others, as long the main table has an entry indicating that it's used for the broader type.
[...]
Stones are another thing that could use it's own table.
Yes, agreed.

The question is, should we append it to the tileset page, make a new page (called tileset details or whatever), or append it to each relevant page. In case of the latter, creatures would go to the creature page, trees to the forest page, and stones to the stone page. I don't think this is the best solution, since tileset creators will be the primary group interested in that and the information wouldn't necessarily be where they'd expect it. The tileset page would become quite cluttered if we add all we want to it. Lastly, changing every one of these (stones, trees, creatures) requires creature graphics and raw changes respectively.

Therefore I propose to make a new page: "graphic set"

It currently redirects to "graphic set repository", but does not exist itself.
We could add sections for creatures, stones and plants (both for world map and a list which tiles are used for plants in game).
Each section would contain a table or list which item/object uses what and explain the raw/creature graphic format. In addition this page could contain some tricks and tips (ALT_TILE animation shenanigans, alpha transparency magic, etc).
Consequently, all the trees/creatures/stones in the tileset page would be replaced by "various creatures#", "various forests*" (plus "general forest" or whatever in the cases where it applies) and "various stones*" respectively; with links to the relevant sections in the graphic set page.
Maybe even a "parent page" for graphics in DF, that serves as introduction, and links to:
  • tileset
  • graphic set
  • colors
  • true type font (does that even exist?)
  • tileset repository
  • graphic set repository
Some of the parts of the current tileset page could be moved there as well.

These changes still don't even touch my original idea with the map/game/text split though, but I believe they would be a great improvement, even if we completely discard my original proposition in the end.
Right now, I think keeping the tileset table simple as it is now would be the best option, and leave any details (separate table for what is used on map/text/game) to the graphic set page.
But we'll see how it works out.

Anyway:
For now, I made the # and $ tags (for graphic set and d_init changes) into superscripts, which I think improves readability quite a bit. I also added leading zeros to the first 100 tiles for consistency.
An intermediate solution to the text/game use of tiles would be to add a new superscript mark that identifies things used in text the ui. Maybe just <sup>UI</sup>.

Another thing, do you have any idea what's wrong with the formatting? Some rows (row 01, row 12, row 15) seem to not work in the same way the others do. The tile number and tile symbol appear on separate lines when you give them the identical formatting as the other rows. You can either remove the space between them, or remove all the {|, |, |-,|} to make it work.

At first, I thought it happened because these rows contained links that weren't identical to their title (like [[gear assembly|gear assemblies]]), and the additional "|" characters fucked it up, but removing them altogether didn't seem to fix it either.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:48:05 pm by CLA »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 08:16:49 pm »

So, if we have a forest on a world map, which tiles will it select? just checkerboard it between generic and specific?
It's not a checker board. Basically a forest tile has a certain chance of being any of the specific tiles or the generic tile. My guess is that the generic tile has equal weight to the specific tiles, so forest types with more tree types are less likely to show up as the generic tile. Swamp tiles are a little more complex, because it also uses the shrub tile that shows up about half the time.

The question is, should we append it to the tileset page, make a new page (called tileset details or whatever), or append it to each relevant page. In case of the latter, creatures would go to the creature page, trees to the forest page, and stones to the stone page. I don't think this is the best solution, since tileset creators will be the primary group interested in that and the information wouldn't necessarily be where they'd expect it. The tileset page would become quite cluttered if we add all we want to it. Lastly, changing every one of these (stones, trees, creatures) requires creature graphics and raw changes respectively.

Therefore I propose to make a new page: "graphic set"

It currently redirects to "graphic set repository", but does not exist itself.
We could add sections for creatures, stones and plants (both for world map and a list which tiles are used for plants in game).
Each section would contain a table or list which item/object uses what and explain the raw/creature graphic format. In addition this page could contain some tricks and tips (ALT_TILE animation shenanigans, alpha transparency magic, etc).
Consequently, all the trees/creatures/stones in the tileset page would be replaced by "various creatures#", "various forests*" (plus "general forest" or whatever in the cases where it applies) and "various stones*" respectively; with links to the relevant sections in the graphic set page.
Maybe even a "parent page" for graphics in DF, that serves as introduction, and links to:
  • tileset
  • graphic set
  • colors
  • true type font (does that even exist?)
  • tileset repository
  • graphic set repository
Some of the parts of the current tileset page could be moved there as well.
I agree that it doesn't belong in the existing creature/stone/etc pages. So they need to go either on the tileset page or on new pages. I don't like inventing the name "graphic sets", because that term already means something to DF players. What we're really doing can be thought of as sorting entities by tile. So I think that still belongs on the tileset page. But we can add child pages as you describe along long the lines of "List of creatures by tile" instead of making this page longer. I'm gonna start with adding new sections to the tileset page for now that can be moved later.

Anyway:
For now, I made the # and $ tags (for graphic set and d_init changes) into superscripts, which I think improves readability quite a bit. I also added leading zeros to the first 100 tiles for consistency.
An intermediate solution to the text/game use of tiles would be to add a new superscript mark that identifies things used in text the ui. Maybe just <sup>UI</sup>.
If you're gonna go that route, I suggest using standard reference marks, them being *, †, ‡, and § in that order, following the conventions of other pages like Egg_production.

Another thing, do you have any idea what's wrong with the formatting? Some rows (row 01, row 12, row 15) seem to not work in the same way the others do. The tile number and tile symbol appear on separate lines when you give them the identical formatting as the other rows. You can either remove the space between them, or remove all the {|, |, |-,|} to make it work.

At first, I thought it happened because these rows contained links that weren't identical to their title (like [[gear assembly|gear assemblies]]), and the additional "|" characters fucked it up, but removing them altogether didn't seem to fix it either.
I think it's something to do with how it wraps tables. You can use &nbsp; in place of the space in the first column to fix it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:06:26 pm by King Mir »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 08:07:36 am »

It's not a checker board. Basically a forest tile has a certain chance of being any of the specific tiles or the generic tile. My guess is that the generic tile has equal weight to the specific tiles, so forest types with more tree types are less likely to show up as the generic tile. Swamp tiles are a little more complex, because it also uses the shrub tile that shows up about half the time.
I see, thanks. Now I get it.

I agree that it doesn't belong in the existing creature/stone/etc pages. So they need to go either on the tileset page or on new pages. I don't like inventing the name "graphic sets", because that term already means something to DF players. What we're really doing can be thought of as sorting entities by tile. So I think that still belongs on the tileset page. But we can add child pages as you describe along long the lines of "List of creatures by tile" instead of making this page longer. I'm gonna start with adding new sections to the tileset page for now that can be moved later.
Yeah, I figured we could just make a graphic set page dedicated to actual graphic set stuff, and add the creature/tree/stone by tile section there. But the way you started works great already.
I'll go ahead and remove them from the first table then. Wait, you're already doing that. I'll remove the creatures then.
What about a parent page for all the graphics related articles though?

If you're gonna go that route, I suggest using standard reference marks, them being *, †, ‡, and § in that order, following the conventions of other pages like Egg_production.
Will do in case I add superscript to text. For now I guess the section at the end is enough.

I think it's something to do with how it wraps tables. You can use &nbsp; in place of the space in the first column to fix it.

Fixed them. Apparently it works fine when there are no trailing newlines or something.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:09:56 am by CLA »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 08:51:40 pm »

I see, thanks. Now I get it.
If you think you can explain it now, be sure to update the map legend page. The sentence I put there probably doesn't do it justice.

Yeah, I figured we could just make a graphic set page dedicated to actual graphic set stuff, and add the creature/tree/stone by tile section there. But the way you started works great already.
I'll go ahead and remove them from the first table then. Wait, you're already doing that. I'll remove the creatures then.
What about a parent page for all the graphics related articles though?
I don't mean to call dibs or anything, if you see something that I haven't gotten to, feel free to do it.

Yeah, I do think a "Graphics" page is a good idea. You need to better describe the difference between a graphics set and a tileset, where to find both, and how to make both, and it's be nice to have one page that points people to all that information. You can probably move/duplicate the overview stuff there.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 09:01:37 pm »

If you think you can explain it now, be sure to update the map legend page. The sentence I put there probably doesn't do it justice.
Will see what I can do.

I don't mean to call dibs or anything, if you see something that I haven't gotten to, feel free to do it.

Was just because I saw it happening while you were in the process of editing, so I wanted to avoid edit conflicts and people doing work twice.

Yeah, I do think a "Graphics" page is a good idea. You need to better describe the difference between a graphics set and a tileset, where to find both, and how to make both, and it's be nice to have one page that points people to all that information. You can probably move/duplicate the overview stuff there.

Good, I'll whip something up and we'll go from there.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 02:26:34 pm »

First draft of graphics page is here

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:CLA

What do you think of the general organization? Should I make a wiki discussion page for this, or make a thread in the modding/tileset forum for more input?

Edit:
Also, some clarification on the terminology would be nice.
Until now, I always used "tileset" for "ascii"-like tilesets and "graphic set" for more graphical tilesets, which include raw changes. And finally "graphic pack" for a tileset or graphic set bundled with creature graphics.
That's not entirely correct (as in, how it's commonly used), is it?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 02:43:32 pm by CLA »

Pages: [1] 2