Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Updating the tileset page  (Read 11347 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Updating the tileset page
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 10:20:34 pm »

First draft of graphics page is here

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:CLA

What do you think of the general organization?
2 comments:

I think you should have a separate section for where to find graphics mods, that give a link to the tileset and graphics repositories, and explains the difference for non-modders.

Most of the stuff in the tileset section can just go on the tileset page. I would just write a paragraph on the graphics page, and provide a "main article" style link.

Should I make a wiki discussion page for this, or make a thread in the modding/tileset forum for more input?
Up to you. You'll probably get more feedback in the modding forums. You can even do both.

Edit:
Also, some clarification on the terminology would be nice.
Until now, I always used "tileset" for "ascii"-like tilesets and "graphic set" for more graphical tilesets, which include raw changes. And finally "graphic pack" for a tileset or graphic set bundled with creature graphics.
That's not entirely correct (as in, how it's commonly used), is it?
Are there any "graphics sets" by your definition? It seems like a medium between tilesets and graphics pack that is actually rare.  DFFD has a section for tilesets, and one for graphics sets, so I think 2 categories are the normal way to go. It's ok if there's a gray area between them.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 01:54:36 pm »

I think you should have a separate section for where to find graphics mods, that give a link to the tileset and graphics repositories, and explains the difference for non-modders.
I'm not even sure about the difference myself and the correct terminology to use (see below). But links to the repositories are definitely planned. Both on top of the page and within the text.
Most of the stuff in the tileset section can just go on the tileset page. I would just write a paragraph on the graphics page, and provide a "main article" style link.
I think it's better to keep the tutorial on the graphics page, so I thought to leave all information that is important for the tutorial there. For now I won't remove any information from the tileset page though. Just adding to the tutorial what's necessary. Removal of stuff can still be done later.

Quote from: CLA
Should I make a wiki discussion page for this, or make a thread in the modding/tileset forum for more input?
Up to you. You'll probably get more feedback in the modding forums. You can even do both.

Are there any "graphics sets" by your definition? It seems like a medium between tilesets and graphics pack that is actually rare.  DFFD has a section for tilesets, and one for graphics sets, so I think 2 categories are the normal way to go. It's ok if there's a gray area between them.

By my definition, every tileset in a graphic pack is a graphic set. A graphic pack is a graphic set bundled with creature graphics. Of course, there could theoretically be graphic sets without creature graphic, but as you said, these are rare.
It seems the community in general uses the opposite definition: A graphic pack is a tileset bundled with a graphic set (=creature graphics). I don't really know which one makes more sense. In the end all the bitmaps are tilesets/sprite sheets. But either is fine and it would be silly to introduce a new definition just because it makes more sense. I think it's more useful to go with what is commonly used in this case. I'm just not sure what that is.
I guess if I make a thread for feedback anyway, I might as well ask about that.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 09:40:58 pm »

Problem: this isn't 0x96 at all.
Maybe it would be better to do via template?
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 11:27:03 pm »

According to http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Character_table it is. You can use {{#char:96}} to verify this.
Edit: Of course, it's interpreted as a code delimiter by an extension, which I should fix. <diagram>[%96]</diagram> should also work.
Edit 2: I'm going to change the extension to use `` instead of `, since a number of pages rely on `.
Also, "96" is decimal - "0x96" (hexadecimal) is 150 in decimal, or "ű" (in CP437).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:35:52 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 05:27:44 pm »

Regarding the 0.42.01 update:
Discussion and notes have pretty much completely moved to the wiki talk page, so if anyone has anything to add, do it there.
For the record, this is the current status of added info:

scrolls: 236;
quire, bookcase: 240;
sheets: 245;
scroll rollers, book binding: 246

They all can be changed in the raws, except sheets, which seem to be hardcoded. At least I couldn't find their entry.

Note that tile #245 was unused before, and some tilesets might use it for something else. Also note that tile #240 is used for barrels/screwpumps, so that might look silly in some tilesets.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0
Pages: 1 [2]