Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 155045 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.08+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2014, 09:02:38 pm »

Sedimentary is far less useful now that trees job stupidly redundant amounts of logs. No particularly significant advantage to coal, other than savings in dwarf labor in charcoaling, labor which is usually overly abundant anyway.

And hematite/marble are often plentiful in volcano maps.

OR as mentioned forego the volcano, which wood also makes less important nowadays (unless you want it for flooding the surface or whatever)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

sty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2014, 09:33:25 pm »

Volcanoes tend to appear in mountainous igneous extrusive biomes, which means you may be hard pressed to find flux, coal or wood. You won't need it for fuel, but you will still need it for steel making. If you don't feel like searching hundreds of worlds for a volcano next to sedimentary stone or in a forest, your best bet may be to breach the first cavern for wood (or make tree farms underground once the caverns are opened up), or trade for wood, processed coke or charcoal.
Which is why you're having a hard time.

I'll ask this question.. Why do you need or want a volcano?  If you can give it up, the embark you want is trivial to find.

Yeah I knew that, so I generated a new big world and ignored the mountains (actually it's ridiculously easy to get a volcano with flux), then using dfhack I went through many many sedimentary multiple/multiple search hit areas and I think I found one possible embark with lignite... from out of 70 test locations or so. I didn't see a single place with bituminous coal :(.

Anyway volcanoes, steel, terrifying biome, aggressive neighbours are always so much fun so I was just asking if somebody had an worldgen/save in the backpocket to offer :)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2014, 09:39:20 pm »

You can also merely swap all the igneous extrusive and sedimentary stone assignments in the raws, ta da! Every volcano has sedimentary layers and almost all flux, coal, iron, etc.

Wouldn't even be particularly more unrealistic than the current world gen (the fact that igneous extrusive and sedimentary are mutually exclusive is ridiculous to begin with. They co-occur quite often in reality), so why not?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

sty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2014, 10:10:25 pm »

You can also merely swap all the igneous extrusive and sedimentary stone assignments in the raws, ta da! Every volcano has sedimentary layers and almost all flux, coal, iron, etc.

Wouldn't even be particularly more unrealistic than the current world gen (the fact that igneous extrusive and sedimentary are mutually exclusive is ridiculous to begin with. They co-occur quite often in reality), so why not?

Yup. I might just do  that. Or just find the interesting embark and then swap some layers with dfhack :)

Capsicum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2014, 12:34:57 am »

I'm looking for an embark with as much variety as possible in 12-20 tiles. The best I've found so far is three biomes and two alignments in a 4x4 area, but I'm looking for more. Any ideas?

Artinnio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2014, 11:41:35 am »

Has anyone got a good biome embark that's located in a grasslands, with tall cliff with a river and waterfall coming off of it? Iron, flux and all that lovely stuff please? I want an area like this to build a Mountainhome, then I'll be building more fortresses in more difficult areas.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2014, 12:48:50 pm »

Has anyone got a good biome embark that's located in a grasslands, with tall cliff with a river and waterfall coming off of it? Iron, flux and all that lovely stuff please? I want an area like this to build a Mountainhome, then I'll be building more fortresses in more difficult areas.
I believe this one matches..

2x2 Grassland embark, 50Z vertical river canyon, waterfall, iron, flux, lignite, and hemp!  8)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Artinnio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2014, 01:14:41 pm »

That was quick! While that's a good embark it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, sorry

EDIT: I was picturing a landscape a little like the Seljalandsfoss waterfall, but in a good Temperate Grassland biome (one with feather trees etc.)

If anyone comes across an embark like that, let me know :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:46:29 pm by Artinnio »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2014, 02:40:58 pm »

Ah, I thought you meant 'good' as in 'great' , not good as in GOOD rather than EVIL. :)

Personally, I've never seen something like what you're looking for, in DF, but perhaps someone else has.  It would also be possible to create that by digging out all the layers opposite the waterfall.

Additionally, if inclined, you could create such an embark trivially by embarking on any mountain (or embark with high vertical change) and df hacking in a river source at the top/elevation desired.  The caveat to such a solution would be the need to create a path for the river flow.

Artinnio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2014, 02:45:10 pm »

That's possible? Well damn, I guess I better get DF Hack then. I just hope it's easy because I'm a scrub at this stuff.
But yeah, I just need a Temperate Good Grassland with a high vertical change then. Thanks :)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2014, 02:59:53 pm »

Yep, it's just as easy as finding the top of the mountain, then changing 1 or more tiles into a riversource tile with the liquids command.

In DFHack, that would be: (after putting the cursor on the tile you want to change)
liquids
rs
<enter by itself to paint the tile>
q

If you need more details, PM me.

Artinnio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2014, 04:37:27 am »

You my friend, are a send from Armok, many thanks \m/

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2014, 10:27:32 am »

What should I be looking for to maximise the following (or has anyone found this):

2x2
Dwarves, Elves, Humans (goblins/kobolds optional)
Volcano
Sand
Flowing Water (Brook is fine)
Flux and Iron Ore
Trees
Non-Evil

I know 2x2 is horribly small for all those requirements, but it's taking me so much longer to search now I have to care about where my neighbours are. Hoping that makes it into the site finder or DFhack in the future...
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2014, 08:54:06 pm »

What should I be looking for to maximise the following (or has anyone found this):

2x2
Dwarves, Elves, Humans (goblins/kobolds optional)
Volcano
Sand
Flowing Water (Brook is fine)
Flux and Iron Ore
Trees
Non-Evil

I know 2x2 is horribly small for all those requirements, but it's taking me so much longer to search now I have to care about where my neighbours are. Hoping that makes it into the site finder or DFhack in the future...
Here's one that seems to match.
I'm going to go off on a bit of a ranting tangent here.. (not directed at you, Ledi, in particular)
These embarks (steel friendly volcanoes + rivers) are DF at it's worst, not it's best.  You have to crank the volcanism so high and mineral scarcity so low that it really is not ideal.
Putting it another way, if the whole point of the river is a water source, partial-embark aquifers are trivial to find and inherently easier and safer to use and/or weaponize.  You literally dig one channel tile and you're done, in most cases. If the whole point of the volcano is to get magma furnaces and forges, if you choose pretty much any other combination of features, you can get magma safer/easier & with less issues than a volcano.
I mean, I get the desire for a volcano and river for the "coolness" factor, but a shallow world with an aquifer is far better in every way, imho.  :D

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2014, 02:10:52 am »

I'm going to go off on a bit of a ranting tangent here.. (not directed at you, Ledi, in particular)
These embarks (steel friendly volcanoes + rivers) are DF at it's worst, not it's best.  You have to crank the volcanism so high and mineral scarcity so low that it really is not ideal.
Putting it another way, if the whole point of the river is a water source, partial-embark aquifers are trivial to find and inherently easier and safer to use and/or weaponize.  You literally dig one channel tile and you're done, in most cases. If the whole point of the volcano is to get magma furnaces and forges, if you choose pretty much any other combination of features, you can get magma safer/easier & with less issues than a volcano.
I mean, I get the desire for a volcano and river for the "coolness" factor, but a shallow world with an aquifer is far better in every way, imho.  :D

That's probably a very good point, as mostly I want magma for fast forges. The only thing is that... well, I suck at dorf mechanics. Never been able to set up a pump stack or pierce an aquifer (hence I turn them off), even using the wiki. What would your suggestions be for a good combo? Not too exciting, but access to everything I'd need in a 2x2 (I'm finding even 3x3s too large for me now, trying to learn to think vertically instead of laterally in a map). Or should I just create a world and go for it wherever I feel I'd have fun?
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37