Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154227 times)

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.10+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #255 on: November 01, 2014, 06:21:06 am »

Quick question for the Scientists here: What seed affects the names of historical figures, civilizations, gods and creatures in world gen? History seed, Name seed, or Creature seed?!? Is it all of the above, since its not obvious to me. Basically, I'd like to keep a nice gen of decent sounding civs and their gods and move them over to a world that has cooler looking embark locations. Is this possible?
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 01, 2014, 09:59:50 am »

Quick question for the Scientists here: What seed affects the names of historical figures, civilizations, gods and creatures in world gen? History seed, Name seed, or Creature seed?!? Is it all of the above, since its not obvious to me. Basically, I'd like to keep a nice gen of decent sounding civs and their gods and move them over to a world that has cooler looking embark locations. Is this possible?
I've never tried it.

I've tried keeping the world seed and creating a new history.  That works as expected.
I've never tried using the historical/other seed(s) on a new world.  Try it, and let us know! :)

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #257 on: November 02, 2014, 04:53:56 am »

Observations so far are a little strange (with 40.13) actually, which is why I was asking since I'd already done experiments but not been successful, and wanted to know if I was missing something abrasively obvious.  ???

My tests were: I took a world design that I put together in PerfectWorld, and repeatedly did 35 generations (only 10 years) with that as the basis, whilst keeping all seeds except the world seed. My main test to save time trawling through entries was checking the first human civ's gods, and checking out the artifact slabs. However, the names and history appear to end up different each time when checking them in Legends mode- which civ is placed first varies, and the artifact slabs vary wildly within the conditions that there is always 1-3 of them and they are always raised by demons.

However, as one might expect, keeping ALL the seeds including the world seed results in a carbon copy world. I only did this twice but it was quite obvious.

I guess that the simple conclusion from this is that the world seed also affects history and name generation. Which I guess in some ways makes sense for the history; even with a perfectworld basis, rivers and volcanoes and minerals and lakes and such will be generated in different places; so settlements will spring up differently. But its a little bit of a shame for people wanting carry across their favorite gods and stuff, like this:

Haha. As you might guess, I wanted to keep the Glacial Confederacies and their cool gods (there was also 'Ok, the god of revenge', and 'Sol, god of the sun' in their line up which was amazing!). Ah well...
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

RailroadRider

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!
    • View Profile
    • Look at me!
« Reply #258 on: November 02, 2014, 07:34:09 am »

Would it be possible to get an embark that has
- A volcano
- A freshwater lake
- A Terrifying biome
- A river
- Shallow metals
- Deep metals
- That is heavily forested
- And the entire thing is at least warm
?
I have an army of dragons. But they aren't very effective against goblins so I use giant cave spiders instead.
There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 02, 2014, 10:04:56 am »

Would it be possible to get an embark that has
- A volcano
- A freshwater lake
- A Terrifying biome
- A river
- Shallow metals
- Deep metals
- That is heavily forested
- And the entire thing is at least warm
?
All easy except the lake, river & volcano in the same area.  That will be the time consuming part, because volcano placement within the region is random. 

If you can give up the volcano, it becomes much easier.  Do you need the volcano just for magma/forges, or some other reason?  I can offer you a very shallow world with magma less than 20-Z from the embark level, if it helps.. (typically this is closer than the volcano would be on the surface).

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 02, 2014, 11:13:32 am »

One thing that stays consistent with the name seed is the name of the world.  I was wondering why all my regions were being named the same.  But otherwise, I would guess that each randomized seed impacts every seed below it, so if you want to keep the names exactly the same, you'd have to keep the history and the geography the same as well.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #261 on: November 02, 2014, 04:22:31 pm »

One thing that stays consistent with the name seed is the name of the world.  I was wondering why all my regions were being named the same.  But otherwise, I would guess that each randomized seed impacts every seed below it, so if you want to keep the names exactly the same, you'd have to keep the history and the geography the same as well.

I didn't actually test that (I forgot to mention that I used a new custom name for each world that I tested!) it makes sense precisely because of that. I also established during my test that custom names (if you assign one) also have no bearing at all on the rest of the world.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 02, 2014, 04:52:00 pm »

Can I get an embark with a volcano, clay, a useful military metal (iron+flux or the materials for bronze), and possibly an ocean or large lake?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 02, 2014, 05:41:39 pm »

Can I get an embark with a volcano, clay, a useful military metal (iron+flux or the materials for bronze), and possibly an ocean or large lake?
This one has everything, but the only mention of clay is SILTY_CLAY_LOAM, so I'm not sure if that's good enough?  I've never monetized clay, myself.  ???
If that's not what you want, or it doesn't work, let me know.
Again, if the volcano is only to get access to magma, there are other options available that make worldgen far, far less time consuming/random.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 02, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »

A slight poke at the raws will fix it if not. Any soil type will happily become clay and or sand, with a gentle poke at the raws. Does not require a regen.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 02, 2014, 07:05:03 pm »

Just for warning, if you try to embark on a volcano anyways after making the world shallower to get easy access to the magma sea, make sure you don't have your caverns too open... I've been consistently getting drained volcanic tubes that are open to the caverns... oh wait, I think I might still have the thicker layer 4 from when I was trying to get big spires instead of just cutting them out entirely... hmmmm, wonder what else that can do.

RailroadRider

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!
    • View Profile
    • Look at me!
« Reply #266 on: November 02, 2014, 07:47:56 pm »

If you can give up the volcano, it becomes much easier.  Do you need the volcano just for magma/forges, or some other reason?  I can offer you a very shallow world with magma less than 20-Z from the embark level, if it helps.. (typically this is closer than the volcano would be on the surface).
Yeah, that sounds fine.
Extra request, would it be possible to get some large mountain tiles thrown in, so, like a mountain lake with sharp cliffs with a grassy area, and either the lake, the mountain, or the grassy area is terrifying.
I have an army of dragons. But they aren't very effective against goblins so I use giant cave spiders instead.
There are dead babies all over my legendary dining hall and my population has halved. Thank you.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 02, 2014, 11:04:08 pm »

Yeah, that sounds fine.
Extra request, would it be possible to get some large mountain tiles thrown in, so, like a mountain lake with sharp cliffs with a grassy area, and either the lake, the mountain, or the grassy area is terrifying.
Ok, try this one
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If it's not exactly what you want, you can remove the seeds and generate more worlds that will be similar.  Keep in mind the 'evil' lakes won't be blue, but red or brownish, often.
Magma is within 16 Z levels of the embark level, in both embarks.

Rotten_Karma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 05, 2014, 01:21:24 am »

Ok, here is a fairly specific request. 

I would like a River cutting through a large sedimentary canyon (8 or more z levels), preferably limestone.  Marble at the surface would also work.  The river needs to be a horseshoe such that on a five by five embark it creates a U, like this.
Code: [Select]
0---0
0|0|0

Iron ore would be nice, but goblinite works.  Trees are also nice. 

I will be attempting to create this, although i likely won't be sucessful, as i don't know how to get thick sedimentary layers.

Edit: This does not seem possible.  Rivers in DF don't meander.  Oh well
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:22:29 am by Rotten_Karma »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2014, 10:03:04 am »

While it's true it doesn't happen naturally, you could always make it a project to create such a horseshoe bend.

Or use dfhack and make it in a few seconds.  :o
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37