Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154791 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.24+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #495 on: October 19, 2015, 09:48:55 am »

I am scouting for nice caverns ... but I fear the tedium of steady new world generation or looking into dozens of embarks. I usually run with 2 cavern layers, certain min openness and limited max connection so I get some open areas in caverns, but without them looking completely artificial, and a minimum amount of water. But I never figured out what governs e.g. me getting nice chasms in caverns connecting the layers. Sometimes caverns are interesting (open while structured), sometimes they are just plain boring ... Anyone?

What governs world depth? I have highly varying depth even in a pocket region from as low as 30 to over 100. Would like a flat world in swamp biome.
To get a flat world, you'll want to lower the Elevation parameter.  To get a more evenly spaced Cavern, try lowering the Density value.  Query for the advanced; I have just encountered a rejection message I have never seen before.  'Having trouble placing farming civilizations'.  Apparently the civs have none or very few plants available upon creation.  Did my raws get screwed up, or is this a temperature/elevation issue?

Edit: I figured out the problem.  Suffice to say, be careful when adjusting Temperature :o
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:39:35 am by Immortal-D »

Vardia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 22, 2015, 07:56:44 pm »

Don't suppose anyone could find me something like this?:
Default embark size (or maybe one bigger)
Good biome
Dirt
Flux stones
Warm
Waterfall (Not NEEDED but it'd be nice.)
Some water source that isn't an aquifer
Trees
Human or Elf neighbors.
Maybe native marble, gold, or some other nice type of stone? Not really required though.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 22, 2015, 08:52:07 pm »

Query for the advanced; I have just encountered a rejection message I have never seen before.  'Having trouble placing farming civilizations'.  Apparently the civs have none or very few plants available upon creation.  Did my raws get screwed up, or is this a temperature/elevation issue?

Edit: I figured out the problem.  Suffice to say, be careful when adjusting Temperature :o

Temperature, huh? Usually, when I get that error, it's because I forgot to switch the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag over to humans before generating a no-cavern world.

(Note: If you switch CIV_CONTROLLABLE over to humanity, consider copying over some of the nobles too. Important functions like the bookkeeper or the chief medical have no analog outside of the dwarves.)

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 10, 2015, 12:26:19 pm »

Crosspost:

Could someone please set me up an embark?

So. I've played for a while (on and off since, and most of my forts lately have ended in a decided lack of !!fun!!.

With that in mind, I have had a thought. Most of the reason why my forts aren't !!fun!! is because of my choice of world / embark. So what if someone else sets up an embark for me? Could be interesting.

As such: Vanilla 0.40.24 please, new 2x2 embark, no larger than a small world. Other than that, whatever, have fun. Note that I am not the best player, so this could be a (very) short game, depending on where I get placed. But meh. I'll take a stab at whatever gets thrown at me regardless.
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 10, 2015, 01:24:14 pm »

Here you go, Pseudo.

Context:

The mountainhome has set the following guidelines for your outpost:
Your primary goal is to reach 5M in created wealth as quickly as possible.

Our mountainhome scouts have reported the following:
It is 10z to Armoks tears (cavern water)
It is 13z to Armoks blood (magma)
This region is ideal for producing steel.
Dust devils have been observed at the site.

Enjoy!  :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 10, 2015, 01:53:49 pm »

Welp, this should be fun.

Thank you!
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

PowerSurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 12, 2015, 06:48:09 pm »

Some help could be nice. I am trying to generate a world that has:
large region map
age around 150
Evil, good, and Wilderness. all high savage.
With river
sand
clay
very deep soil
aquifer
shallow metals
deep metals
flux layer
heavily forested
vegetation thick
temperate
with all civs and tower
volcano if possible - dont care much though

Any one have some settings that might help?
Also, how do I post my settings?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:40:20 pm by PowerSurge »

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 12, 2015, 09:35:51 pm »

Some help could be nice. I am trying to generate a world that has:
large region map
age around 150
Evil, good, and Wilderness. all high savage.
With river
sand
clay
very deep soil
aquifer
shallow metals
deep metals
flux layer
heavily forested
vegetation thick
temperate
with all civs and tower
volcano if possible - dont care much though

Any one have some settings that might help?
Also, how to i post my settings?

From the Dwarf Fortress main menu, select "Design New World With Advanced Parameters". Highlight the "LARGE REGION" preset and (c)opy it. Highlight the copy and choose (e)nter advanced parameters. Then, choose select (p)reset field values to enter the World Painter.

The World Painter menu is the only part of DF with native mouse support. In fact, a mouse is required to use it. For more information, see this link.

Which biome you get depends on the Elevation, Temperature, Rain, and Drainage settings used for the area. Areas below 100 Elevation are oceans, and areas above 300 Elevation are mountains. Of the biomes in the middle, (101-299 Elevation), those at certain Temperatures are overwritten by appropriate biomes (tundra, glacier, etc.). For information on Rain/Drain stats and the biomes they give you, see the image below:

Spoiler: large image (click to show/hide)

In particular for you, leave Temperature at a global 50 to keep the biomes temperate.

Evil and good cannot be specified within the World Painter, but you can specify minimum counts of each on gen. For more information on advanced world generation in general, see here.

In particular - rivers require high rain and drainage, which suits you since you want a forest biome. These biomes typically have deep-ish soil, although aquifers are pretty random. Clay will (most likely) be common, but to ensure a supply of sand you might want part of your embark to include a beach.

To ensure more metals, reduce their rarity on gen. There is a parameter for that.

All civilizations is a tall order. Elves will be a certainty with a heavily forested world - they require forests - but humans require plains, and both dwarves and goblins require mountains in the beginning, although all four races can expand beyond their home biome after their initial creation. In particular, civilization requires low-medium savagery - 50 is usually fine. You might want to set aside an area specifically for them to be created, while keeping the rest of the world a high-savagery forest.

Towers are caused by a high civilized population and a low site cap, among other things - both of those can be controlled on gen.

You can make a volcano anywhere by setting the Volcanism in that area to 100. 100 Volcano will spawn a Volcano 100% of the time (but 0-99 Volcanism is meaningless).

You post your settings by going into data/init/world_gen.txt and copy-pasting the appropriate long list of settings that [LOOK_LIKE_THIS]. For example, here is the vanilla Large Island preset:

Spoiler: Large Island preset (click to show/hide)

I hope that helped!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 13, 2015, 02:32:57 am »

To be specific high civilizations will raise the number of towers, apparently it is a linear increase at that.

I regularly get 33x33 worlds with dozens of towers by year 150 or so.

PowerSurge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 13, 2015, 09:51:51 pm »

Awesome! Thanks guys! This really helped.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:51:03 pm by PowerSurge »

Walker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 17, 2015, 09:47:23 am »

I have been working on my terrifying embark skills, and mostly dying horribly in various ways. On my last worldgen I got what I thought was a really cool area, but the elevation display lied to me, so I'm wondering if maybe some of you could help me figure out how to create the following embark scenario:

*Large river in a deep canyon - 10+ and preferably 20+ z level straight cliffs on both sides --- preferably it should be a fairly long river allowing for multiple embark sites so I can have numerous of them fail miserably and still enjoy aiming for my goal of having a tower suspended over the river.
*Evil - preferably with undead rising from corpses
*Aquifer
*Sand/Clay/Dirt/Flux/Deep and Shallow Metals (everything, the kitchen sink and then a bit more)
*Goblins and/or tower nearby and hostile.
*Temperature: not freezing, so that digging through the aquifer is a challenge.

Everything else is non-critical and some variation along the river would be unproblematic.

Any help is much appreciated.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 17, 2015, 11:14:23 am »

Walker, search this topic for ' canyon ' and you should find some worldgens that will offer the high sheer/vertical cliff faces.  Beyond that, you should be able to tweak the evil settings to get the rest of the requirements.

Put another way, the only thing difficult about your request is the vertical cliff.  The rest is reasonably easy.  Unless you use world painter, though, getting the vertical cliff combined with the rest will be largely a matter of time and praying to the RNG gods. :)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 18, 2015, 01:26:24 am »

I had a moment recently when I was doing my face of armok world-gen tweaking where I was looking at the .txt and the painter suddenly clicked.

I was able to edit and rearrange the settings to get around the problem where the painter only draws across the top chunk of a 33x33 for some reason.

These settings right now produce a literal candystore of awful glaciers of doom with big spiky exposed volcano tubes and good mineral distribution.

I put the minerals up pretty high because otherwise getting a good volcano site would be way too hit and miss, it's hard enough already with some of them starting out with magma below the embark level.

Tends to end up with a map covered in towers and lots of gobbo neighbors despite my goblin pop controls, without them it might be awful, but either way, just cancel any worlds that don't have the northern glacier covered in purple, then when you get one let it run 20 or so years, if you don't see four or five towers up in the top half of the map you can cancel and you'll get a better setup before too long.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Walker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 22, 2015, 07:49:54 am »

Walker, search this topic for ' canyon ' and you should find some worldgens that will offer the high sheer/vertical cliff faces.  Beyond that, you should be able to tweak the evil settings to get the rest of the requirements.

Put another way, the only thing difficult about your request is the vertical cliff.  The rest is reasonably easy.  Unless you use world painter, though, getting the vertical cliff combined with the rest will be largely a matter of time and praying to the RNG gods. :)

I did the canyon search and gave the maps a whirl, they definitely produced the results as advertised but ended up being too 'artificial' for my taste. However they did give me a good idea of how to adjust my own maps to get similar results. On the fourth attempt I had some good luck and saw some lovely river gorges, interesting evil regions etc.

The key for the river gorges seem to be the following settings:
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:100]
[RIVER_MINS:600:500]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]

It'll cause a lot of failures, especially if you have other requirements, but increasing rivers and reducing erosion, even on a large map should give some nice results. Hope that may be of some help to others.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 22, 2015, 11:18:35 am »

That is definitely useful. Same sort of thing as the civs being the key to producing lots of necro towers (or mad scientist towers, cough--check out the victorian era mod--cough) with secrets only providing a lower cap really.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37