Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154836 times)

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.24+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #510 on: November 27, 2015, 06:37:50 pm »

Trying to get myself properly prepared for the upcoming release, I've been mucking about with advanced worldgen settings, but can't seem to get quite what I want.
I'm looking for:
Tropical savage biomes, preferably with a combination of grasslands/savanna and forest
Multiple neighbors, with a steady supply of caravans and sieges for !!Fun!!
A very large number of beasts, megabeasts, etc.
Sedimentary and flux layers to aid in steel production.
Extensive cavern systems and large deposits of cotton candy would be a plus, but I'm mostly interested in having a region with a lot of resources that has dangerous fauna and neighbors to keep things interesting once I've got the fort established. If anybody can get me pointed in the right direction, I would be most thankful.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 27, 2015, 08:36:49 pm »

Trying to get myself properly prepared for the upcoming release, I've been mucking about with advanced worldgen settings, but can't seem to get quite what I want.
I'm looking for:
Tropical savage biomes, preferably with a combination of grasslands/savanna and forest
Multiple neighbors, with a steady supply of caravans and sieges for !!Fun!!
A very large number of beasts, megabeasts, etc.
Sedimentary and flux layers to aid in steel production.
Extensive cavern systems and large deposits of cotton candy would be a plus, but I'm mostly interested in having a region with a lot of resources that has dangerous fauna and neighbors to keep things interesting once I've got the fort established. If anybody can get me pointed in the right direction, I would be most thankful.
This meets all those, as far as I can tell, with one exception.  There aren't a huge number of semi-megabests, megabeasts, and titans.  You can try increasing them yourself, but I used 10 each in a pocket world.
Neighbors are goblins, elves, and a tower, plus there are kobolds in the world, so they might show up too.  Also, the candy extrudes through the third cavern.  You'll need at least 80 dwarves before the goblins show up, but the titan and necromancer should show up earlier.

You don't have to use this embark location, most of the world meets your requirements, but this one was flat, a tropical moist broadleaf forest.  You may find one better. :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 03, 2015, 06:54:51 am »

So, I'm experimenting on the newest version, getting ready to build my first fortress. I think I've got the settings in the right general area, but I think the mix is not quite there. I'm having trouble getting enough forests, and the high beasts/savagery mix I'm going with leads to a lot of worlds where the only living neighbors are goblins and towers, and the dwarf civs are frequently declining or dead. Advice?

EDIT: Reducing the number of kaiju seems to be working. I guess 20-30 times the standard amount is too much?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:07:02 am by Salkryn »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 03, 2015, 10:59:46 am »

Yeah, you'll have a much better chance of the dwarves surviving if you can create two civs/fortresses.  The reason for this is the first fortress ~always gets taken over by a megabeast, semi-megabeast, titan, or forgotten beast, while the second fortress is allowed to thrive without incident, typically.  However, if the number of megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, and titans is high enough, then they'll just stomp everything, including any number of fortresses, all the goblins, all the humans, and all the elves.

In larger worlds, it's less of an issue because the distances provide some attack insulation, but in a pocket world, everyone can reach everywhere.  Of course, with a larger world you deal with some pretty significant FPS load, so if it can be done in a pocket world, that's better for performance.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 05, 2015, 01:18:02 pm »

Okay, here's a challenge:
  • 2x2 embark
  • Volcano
  • Deep and Shallow Metals
  • Flux Layer
  • Flat
  • 2nd and 3rd cavern layers only
  • Savage Tropical Freshwater Wetland*
  • Goblin Sieges
  • Caravan Access
  • Short history

*For papyrus. Also, I need to make papyrus ubiquitous to its biome.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 05, 2015, 03:26:15 pm »

cochramd,

Here's something that appears to match:

There's papyrus on the embark.
It's only Wilderness, not Untamed Wilds, but you can regen a few worlds with those parameters (clear the seeds) and probably find something with Untamed Wilds.
Also, it would be much easier to find an embark if Temperate (but warm, hot or scorching) as Tropical is far more limited when compared to Temperate.
Finally, this may not work at all, as there's an outstanding world reproduction bug in 42.01 (that will apparently be fixed in 42.02)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 05, 2015, 03:45:33 pm »

cochramd,

Here's something that appears to match:
*snip*
Oh, that is lovely. What numbers do I need to fiddle with to give myself friendly neighbors as well? Or at least guarantee that I'll never see a friendly goblin? I'd be moderately perturbed if the only visitors to my tavern were goblins.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 05, 2015, 04:18:55 pm »

Easiest way to get elves and humans is to change the rain to be 0 to 100, with something like a 400x/y variation.  The problem with that, though, is it will limit embark sites, as the whole world won't be wetlands. :|

The more challenging way would be to use the PSV interface to specify some pre-set rain/drain areas just for elves/humans to settle, and leave the rest wetlands.  If you changed to a north pole only, you could put those at the top of the map, leaving the south area for tropical.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 05, 2015, 04:32:53 pm »

Oh, right, because elves require forests and humans require plains. And I'm guessing that I don't see any hillocks because those can only be founded in mountainous territory. I suppose there's no way to mod everyone into being able to found sites in wetlands, is there? Ah well, I'll just hire a good bouncer to keep the filthy gobbos out.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 06, 2015, 03:11:13 am »

New version out!

Salkryn cancels sleep: playing Dwarf Fortress

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 06, 2015, 10:42:16 am »

I'll create the new 42.x worldgen cookbook thread this afternoon.

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 01, 2016, 07:08:59 pm »

here is a challenge:
mostly flat
small or pocket world
lots of brass and bronze
no/very little iron
all races

is it posable?

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 30, 2016, 04:35:30 am »

9 biomes in a single embark.
For DF version:    0.40.24

Main Thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155898.0

Download:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11723

Clay, sand, volcano, river, lake, ocean, swamp, desert, jungle together.
Multiple Good biomes (featherwood) and one Evil biome (glumprong)
An Untamed Wild desert with giant desert scorpions.
Has an abandoned civilization fortress from world gen.

Many neighbors.   Three different goblin civs, ogres, and four towers.  Humans and elves too.

See included screenshots for pre-embark information.

All Legends are exported.

Some mods are in this.  I wasn't planning to distribute, but decided to share.  There is an Altar and a Greenhouse workshop that have reactions that do nothing.  Two domestic creatures, one to shear leather the other for defense.  Some more armor and weapons, only a couple.

Game is saved immediately after embark. Because there are 4 nearby towers, fortify yourself FAST.  The undead are coming.

This was accomplished with careful world building trial-and-error, and heavy use of a modified DFHack gm-editor.
It took a long time.  I don't plan on making more of these.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 30, 2016, 09:31:56 am »

Hey there, if anyone is up to it i have a request:

if anyone is so kind, could they help with a world gen that has an embark with multiple biomes? the ones i'm looking for are specifically:

Savage tropical desert, tropical swamp and savage tropical grasslands.

the desert having giant desert scorpions is priority, and the grasslands having elephants would be nice but isnt priority.

crocodiles in the swamp would also be very nice, but don't go to too much effort if its a troublesome request, i really appreciate it if anyone takes up on my request. i'm trying to make a fort that relies only on a wide array of savage and dangerous animals for its defense and industries and want access to as much variety as possible

Feniks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 30, 2016, 02:04:08 pm »

post above you have exactly what you are asking for.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37