Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154194 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.03+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 06:30:32 pm »

vjek, can you find me a terrifying desert embark with an aquifer on part (but not all) of the map? I don't care what clouds or rain or whether or not it reanimates. Just surprise me with that.

I'm looking for a challenge. :P
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »

I've got a pocket world here with only a single surviving dwarf, who just so happens to be a necromancer, amongst ~10600 goblins and kobolds (combined population). I can indeed embark in dwarf mode, and just about the only place the necromancer cant reach is the terrifying tundra in the far north. I think it may be fun for anyone looking for some Fun, so I felt like posting it.

I generated the world with some trivial changes to creature raws. Nothing that should affect the history, I don't think.
The world is also 527 years old, but generation and saving it took a trivial amount of time on a shitty public library computer with my thumbdrive.

map and info:

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Population Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gen Parameters (click to show/hide)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 08:10:09 pm »

Whats a pocket world?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 09:28:17 pm »

Whats a pocket world?
Smallest world size. 17x17.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

colorlessness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 11:31:07 pm »

What are general parameters that people would suggest to minimize the amount of aquifers in the world?  I know I can mod them out entirely, but I don't want a *totally* aquifer-free world, just something with fewer aquifers than tend to appear with default params.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 12:07:31 am »

vjek, can you find me a terrifying desert embark with an aquifer on part (but not all) of the map? I don't care what clouds or rain or whether or not it reanimates. Just surprise me with that.

I'm looking for a challenge. :P
This should match most of that..
If you want a larger aquifer area, expand/move one tile north.  As it is, the grassland biome is the only part of the embark with an aquifer (starting in the lower soil layers).
Spoiler: terrifying desert (click to show/hide)

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 02:52:08 am »

Over the last few years I've spent many hours re-genning the worlds in these threads. I've had heaps of fun and !!FUN!! and everything in between. And a lot of !!SCIENCE!! too.

Super keen for a newbie paradise so I can create a military fort and go slaughtering...

Lots of iron&flux, volcano and sand should do it... With a river... lol...
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

unauthorized

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 04:34:37 am »

What are general parameters that people would suggest to minimize the amount of aquifers in the world?  I know I can mod them out entirely, but I don't want a *totally* aquifer-free world, just something with fewer aquifers than tend to appear with default params.
Aquifers are usually formed in regions with low drainage, high rainfall, and low elevation. You may have to turn off some rejection parameters because you won't be getting certain biomes if you play around with those parameters.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 03:32:14 pm »

Does anyone have a world where an evil biome with glumprongs and all that good stuff overlaps a good biome?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 08:16:56 pm »

Does anyone have a world where an evil biome with glumprongs and all that good stuff overlaps a good biome?
The embark/world below shows that.  Although the density of good/evil isn't as high as it could be, it's high enough to see the good/evil trees and flora on the same embark.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 09:36:54 am »

So looks like vjek already posted similar to what I'd like to have though I'll put the call out there anyway.

I fondly remember many versions (and RL years for that matter) ago when I had an embark that had massive amounts of Magnetite and a magma pool near the surface all set in and around a small mountain. I was well on my way to making everything out of iron on that save. Mainly what I'm looking for are the Magnetite nodes (I never got those nodes in any other game I've played, only veins of the other irons) and preferably some sort of easy access to smelting it, either via a nearish surface magma pool or perhaps plentiful trees.

Admittedly I might not try to use it until the next version but depending on how long that takes to come down the pipe might go ahead and start on the current version.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 10:48:10 am »

Here you go userpay, enjoy the iron.  8)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 11:34:41 am »

Wow that was fast! Thank ye kindly vjek. Here's hoping this will still be valid in the next version which I hope will come out in a day or two.

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 03:08:22 pm »

Wow! What a site!

That'll do well for my megaprojects. Magma and sand :)

Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 03:21:44 pm »

Vjek,
I notice that you seem to gen a lot of worlds with only one cavern.  Why is that?
I have never messed around with the number of caverns before.  Do you lose out on variety by reducing the number of caverns (either flora or fauna)?  When you reduce the number of caverns, does it remove the top, bottom or a random cavern first?

So many questions!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37