Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154202 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.03+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 03:44:56 pm »

In 34.11, having a single cavern removed (99% of the time) the ability to have Adamantine show up.  It also prevented, in some cases, blood thorn trees/shrooms from showing up.

However, so far in 40.x, both Adamantine and all varieties of giant shrooms show up with just a single cavern.  It may be certain other features are lacking with a single cavern, but I haven't seen that yet.

As such, from my perspective, why not make the world a little thinner, and have the magma a little closer?  :D

IIRC, it removes the bottom-most cavern, and then the middle cavern as well, for 2 and 1 caverns, respectively.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »

So if you increase cavern count for, say, the one I asked for what happens? Completely different embark or just farther away from magma?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 05:08:10 pm »

So if you increase cavern count for, say, the one I asked for what happens? Completely different embark or just farther away from magma?
I tried to use the original magnetite-rich embark and did exactly that (reduced to one cavern).  Totally different embark, no magnetite.  Changing the cavern count has a big impact.

Bki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 06:00:07 pm »

I personally look for a canyon at the convergence of two rivers, if possible one of them being a minor one, with around 10 z-levels between the top and the surface. Preferably, I would also want (from the most to least important) :

No aquifer.
Sand.
Bronze and/or Iron.
Lots of tree and/or coal.
At most one tower (I don't think I'm confident enough to embark on one of those necromancers worlds you can generate now).

With bonus point for :

At war with at least one civ.

Ideally a small or smaller world, but a medium world is fine, too.

Edit : Alternatively, which parameters are good for getting canyons?

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 05:10:41 pm »

As such, from my perspective, why not make the world a little thinner, and have the magma a little closer?  :D

Agreed!

Do you know which cavern layers I need to thicken to make sure I have a nice tall candy spire, too?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 05:36:14 pm »

... Do you know which cavern layers I need to thicken to make sure I have a nice tall candy spire, too?
The spires grow from the magma sea to the bottom of the first cavern.
So your options are twofold.  You can make them taller by making the magma sea thicker ("Z Levels above layer 5")
AND/OR
You can make them taller by making the layer above the magma sea taller.  (This may be "Z Levels above layer 4")
The only reason I say may be is because I haven't tested it in 40.x yet.  It may be "Z Levels above layer 4" only with 3 caverns, or regardless of the number of caverns.  More testing required.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 05:49:54 pm »

I personally look for a canyon at the convergence of two rivers, if possible one of them being a minor one, with around 10 z-levels between the top and the surface. Preferably, I would also want (from the most to least important) :

No aquifer.
Sand.
Bronze and/or Iron.
Lots of tree and/or coal.
At most one tower (I don't think I'm confident enough to embark on one of those necromancers worlds you can generate now).

With bonus point for :

At war with at least one civ.

Ideally a small or smaller world, but a medium world is fine, too.

Edit : Alternatively, which parameters are good for getting canyons?
If you remove the seeds from what is below, you will always get canyons, provided north is up during worldgen.
I think I got everything except the at war civ.  If the canyon is too high, or the river too wide, let me know.  I was going big.  8)
Spoiler: 38Z River Canyon (click to show/hide)

Bki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 07:32:18 am »

If you remove the seeds from what is below, you will always get canyons, provided north is up during worldgen.
I think I got everything except the at war civ.  If the canyon is too high, or the river too wide, let me know.  I was going big.  8)
Spoiler: 38Z River Canyon (click to show/hide)

An impressive canyon, indeed.

The river is just wide enough, and the higher the canyon, the better, so this is just what I wanted (except the fact that the Dwarf civilization don't have access to coal so it make embarking with metal just a little less convenient. But that's not really that important anyway).

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 07:50:58 am »

I generated a large world as my first region in celebration of the new release.
The rng gods smiled upon me, and generated this as one of the landforms.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the gen info if I exported it right, tell me if it's wrong (and how to not do it wrong, if you know)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everything's in the news today

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 04:29:05 pm »

Can anyone confirm whether the newest update breaks save or not? I might need a new world again if it does (can't test at work).

Request
Magma relatively close to surface (similar to last time works), lots of magnetite (or similar large quantities of other iron), at least some trees, doesn't have to be a ton like last time, flux would be great though not absolute necessity, and having other civs and goblins would be great. Only got to a year in with my previous world genned from this thread but no gobs, humans, or elves have visited.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 07:58:23 pm »

40.03 worldgens and embarks appear to be identical.  MAGN1 (above) is identical, as far as I can tell, in 40.04

However, I'll work on a new one per your refinements, userpay.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 11:19:54 am »

Yesh I can see why this is a difficult task though. Decided to try my hand at modifying MAGN1 and after much back and forth managed to get elves around at least according to the embark screen, haven't had any traders yet. Mildly surprised that I couldn't seem to get humans to generate. Also need to figure out how to determine population levels as I also managed to be at war with gobs so wana make sure they're stocked up.

Wanting a surprise I also embarked about a tile or two over so might not even have any Candy nor do I seem to have sand but for the moment this will work...

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 01:07:02 pm »

Generated these two worlds/embarks in the past few days.

First embark features two above-ground rock spires (this was a request for 34.11, too) which I managed to nail down using an artificial elevation map, but it's possible to make 100Z above-ground rock spires with reasonable frequency, so that's pretty cool.

Second one features a solid adamantine vein, underground, 60Z in height.

I was trying to create an artificial volcanism/elevation/rain/drain set that would permit canyon rivers to intersect volcanos, regularly.  Unfortunately, having enough volcanism to have a volcano raises the elevation so high, rivers won't typically flow through such regions/tiles to create canyons, so... that's still a dream for the moment.

In any case, on to the spoilers.

Spoiler: 50Z double spire (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 60Z solid candy (click to show/hide)

Any troubles with reproducing these, let me know.  8)

Nahno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 04:56:45 am »

I was trying to create an artificial volcanism/elevation/rain/drain set that would permit canyon rivers to intersect volcanos, regularly.  Unfortunately, having enough volcanism to have a volcano raises the elevation so high, rivers won't typically flow through such regions/tiles to create canyons, so... that's still a dream for the moment.
I dream of something similar. I regularly get brooks in the same tile as a volcano, but not close enough to cause a "flat" volcano regularly. May I inquire about your technique to make canyon volcanos?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 07:36:11 am »

... I dream of something similar. I regularly get brooks in the same tile as a volcano, but not close enough to cause a "flat" volcano regularly. May I inquire about your technique to make canyon volcanos?
This embark produces river canyons quite regularly.  It even allows you to pick what kind of river (minor, major, normal, etc) if you use it right, and north is up during worldgen.
The way it works is, in the NW corner, there's a single valley, with declining elevations, this is (ideally) the start of the single river that winds it's way through the world.  At each north-south run, there are two points at which adjacent rivers are permitted to join the main river.  This is where river canyons are formed.

The trick is, these join points are quite high (elevation 299) to ensure river canyons that are steep & many Z-Levels.

In the elevation map, wherever there is a set of these values (299:100:299) that's where a steep-walled river canyon will form.  If you add an additional volcanism map, placing a volcanism value of 100 on that center region, in between the 299's, creates a new river source, because the volcano creation pushes up the elevation so high, the river can't flow normally past this point any more.

If you reduce the elevation below 100 or above 299, it seems like worldgen ignores these as potential rivers entirely.  I tried setting the elevation to 1 or 99, with 100 volcanism, and volcanos formed there, but no rivers.

So, I'm not sure there's a quick and easy answer.  I know it's possible to get the rivers to run close to flat volcanos.  The problem is, I think flat volcanos are an anomaly, related to elevation meshes "keeping them down" to lower elevation levels.  As such, I'm not sure custom elevation maps are the only piece to the "low-elevation flat-volcano" embark puzzle.

But once that's figured out, the next step will be to combine those conditions with a low elevation river and a high elevation river, to have river-canyon-volcanos.  :o
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37