Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154201 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.08+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2014, 09:01:13 am »

... Or should I just create a world and go for it wherever I feel I'd have fun?
That's what I do now.  Typically, there's no need to pierce the aquifer, if you embark somewhere that has no aquifer on half of your embark, and aquifer on the other half.  You just dig around it, and use it as a water source.  That covers that part.

It's possible to get to magma within 12-20 Z levels.  When you consider it vertically, even 20 steps for a dwarf really isn't that far on an efficient layout.  It's also possible to go from embark to magma without breaching the caverns, if you're careful.

Personally, I decide on my goals, first, then design the world and embark to fit those goals.  Do I want to fight Titans, MB, SMB, Clowns, FB's, Goblins, random savage wildlife, undead?  Just one of those enemy types, in fortress mode, can be quite fun.  I mean, if you adjust progress triggers for population (post embark) to 1 from 3, you can get sieges of 90+ goblins mixed with trolls. It's just wave after wave of traps/automation/military slaughter. :)

On the other hand, you can make a world devoid of humanoids and stick to breaching the HFS.  That takes some real forethought, but in all cases, you only need two things for a fort to be long term..  A completely secure water supply and then as a result, some place to farm underground.  Once you have the water, you can make mud anywhere and farm mud on rock right next to your magma forges, if you want.  And all of that is withOUT dfhack.  If you're willing to take that step, well, you can embark anywhere and two commands later, your water source and magma forges are done, and you can focus on whatever megaproject strikes your imagination.  8)  Ice castle!  Hunters only! Obsidian farm!  Masterwork for everyone!  Pressure plate maze of floor spikes!

I don't want to seem like I don't enjoy providing these embarks.  I do.  I wouldn't do it if I didn't like it, I was just pointing out that DF can be a MORE fun game by customizing/tailoring the world and embark to your current gameplay goals.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2014, 11:18:16 am »

If I'm wanting to generate a non-polar world, which advanced settings do I have to change to have it not reject due to insufficient glaciation?
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2014, 05:59:19 pm »

You make such a good point Vjek. I've been worrying about rivers this whole time when aquifers would be so much easier  :-[

So here is my request:
  • 4x4 Totally flat embark
  • Aquifer in a corner or edge
  • Volcano on surface or spire
  • Trees (feather trees are nice)
  • Sand
  • Iron
  • Flux
  • All Civ's

Would I able to change the Civ's around later or does that become part of the seed? Was thinking of modding in some more nastiness to fight.

Thanks.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2014, 06:28:33 pm »

You make such a good point Vjek. I've been worrying about rivers this whole time when aquifers would be so much easier  :-[

So here is my request:
  • Sand
  • Iron
  • Flux
  • All Civ's

Would I able to change the Civ's around later or does that become part of the seed? Was thinking of modding in some more nastiness to fight.

Thanks.
This matches, but the volcano is in the middle of a lake. :)
If you don't like it, I'll find another, but this one I found quickly, and lake aside, it matches all other parameters except being flat.  Up to you, just thought it was interesting enough to share.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
80 tiles of aquifer on the NNW edge, just a single Z-Level (136)
You can change History, Name, and Creature Seeds, as long as you leave "Seed" alone, you should get the same geography/geology.

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2014, 06:55:05 pm »

So here is my request:
  • Sand
  • Iron
  • Flux
  • All Civ's

Thanks.
This matches, but the volcano is in the middle of a lake. :)
If you don't like it, I'll find another, but this one I found quickly, and lake aside, it matches all other parameters except being flat.  Up to you, just thought it was interesting enough to share.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
80 tiles of aquifer on the NNW edge, just a single Z-Level (136)
You can change History, Name, and Creature Seeds, as long as you leave "Seed" alone, you should get the same geography/geology.

That's a really interesting embark. But I kinda wanted abit more ground and less water hah.

BTW any reliable water source is fine if you get a lake in the corner that's just as good as an aquifer.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:57:31 pm by PLANKS »

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2014, 05:34:00 am »

It's possible to get to magma within 12-20 Z levels.  When you consider it vertically, even 20 steps for a dwarf really isn't that far on an efficient layout.  It's also possible to go from embark to magma without breaching the caverns, if you're careful.

Personally, I decide on my goals, first, then design the world and embark to fit those goals.  Do I want to fight Titans, MB, SMB, Clowns, FB's, Goblins, random savage wildlife, undead?  Just one of those enemy types, in fortress mode, can be quite fun.  I mean, if you adjust progress triggers for population (post embark) to 1 from 3, you can get sieges of 90+ goblins mixed with trolls. It's just wave after wave of traps/automation/military slaughter. :)

Hrmmm... that's a fun part, because usually my goals are to create a happy, healthy, sustainable fort. I mean, I used one fort to try and learn how to set military up, one for the metal industry... I tend to play safe, I enjoy my drwarves being happy moreso than getting slaughtered left right and centre. I'm unsure what really to poke for, it's why I usually go for the volc/everything combo.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2014, 02:59:14 pm »

What's a good param set to get lots of high elevation cliffs? I'd like to start a new fort in a cliff (preferrably a sheer vertical cliff), though I still need some arable land.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:02:49 pm by smjjames »

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2014, 05:00:17 am »

vjek can the flat volcano setups you make be made in large regions?

I've tried copying some of your parameters over to large region and I get rejections. Its still running so I'll see what happens. 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2014, 10:56:49 am »

Anybody know of good param settings to get sheer vertical cliffs? I know turning off erode extreme cliffs helps.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2014, 09:11:38 pm »

*bump* Anybody?

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2014, 06:58:16 am »

Alright, let's try a 'now for something completely different'! I'd like to make a chaos world - where anything can be next to anything. I've already tweaked variance and subregions up to max, but what else can I do to increase the likeligood of finding 4 diffrent biomes in a 2x2 embark? XD Are weighted meshes any good here? Erosion cycles? Subregions?

Edit to add: I'm basing what I have off of the "Patchwork" map in the .31 page of the wiki, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Worldgen_examples#Patchwork for reference.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:10:12 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2014, 10:05:08 am »

Anybody know of good param settings to get sheer vertical cliffs? I know turning off erode extreme cliffs helps.

Turn off PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES, set EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT to 0 (though I'm not even sure this makes much of a difference) and set the Elevation variance to max. I don't think there's anything else you can do. I suspect it's not possible to get completely vertical cliffs (i.e. without ramps) more than a few levels high.

edit: For finding cliffs I'd recommend exporting the elevation map and looking for potential embark sites there.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:11:45 am by JoeJoe »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2014, 01:35:53 pm »

Naw, I have gotten vertical cliffs 30-50 z levels high. But I don't think you can make it happen other than getting lucky. Definitely set erosion low (I don't know about ZERO... everything will be horribly ugly, but whatever, experiment). Possibly also increase river count before erosion, and decrease number after (I think, again experiment with those variables)

Then during embark, hit tab until you get the vision filters for "cliffs" and "elevation" and try out sites that looks extreme.

Exporting the map does work too, but I don't think it gives you any higher resolution than the filter in game (because I don't think that resolution exists prior to making a fort), might be wrong about that.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2014, 05:03:25 pm »

Naw, I have gotten vertical cliffs 30-50 z levels high. But I don't think you can make it happen other than getting lucky. Definitely set erosion low (I don't know about ZERO... everything will be horribly ugly, but whatever, experiment). Possibly also increase river count before erosion, and decrease number after (I think, again experiment with those variables)

Then during embark, hit tab until you get the vision filters for "cliffs" and "elevation" and try out sites that looks extreme.

Exporting the map does work too, but I don't think it gives you any higher resolution than the filter in game (because I don't think that resolution exists prior to making a fort), might be wrong about that.

I've only gotten very high cliffs when there's a river canyon. But I also haven't looked very much. I prefer flat embarks.

The resolution from exporting the map is the same as the ingame resolution, i.e. 1 pixel = 1 embark square. But with an exported map it's much easier to scan large areas.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2014, 04:57:42 am »

...Is it even possible to get a 2x2 with 4 different biomes?

I'd like 3-4 biomes, one of them good, preferably no evil, water (I have aquifers disabled, but could reenable them if needed), iron, flux, trees, soil and sand. Neighbours of Humans and Elves, goblins are okay, would prefer no towers (I'm still a wimp)

A couple of days so far of genning and I've turned up nothing... can I summon the magic of Vjek or company to save me? XD
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37