Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154200 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.08+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2014, 09:24:51 am »

The worldgen parameter set below produces at least 10 river canyons of a depth of 50Z levels, per world, with varying widths of rivers.

It's entirely artificial, in the sense that the elevations are manually placed with the painter in advanced worldgen.  However, it should get you on the right path to trying to generate what you want, Arkhon Skyhex.

It should be noted, though, that what you're trying to do is trivially accomplished in DFHack, even if you wanted to create the entire thing from scratch on an entirely random embark.  Getting actual natural SHEER cliffs, that is, cliffs that traverse more than 7 Z-levels with no natural ramps, is quite challenging.  There's only two "natural" ways to obtain said cliffs that I know of in DF.
The first is via river canyons, hence my post here. 
The second is by finding a lake adjacent to a mountain (or other extreme elevation change) and the lake "shore" will be vertical from the non lake biome into the lake, at the edge.  Those are rare and unpredictable.

Personally, if I were attempting such a project, I would find a nice sloping mountain, channel out the water paths and then place river source tiles with DFHack liquids.  Often, I find when people say cliffs, they just mean a 1:1 rise:run slope, because they've never actually seen a sheer cliff face in the game.  In any case, either is possible, with varying degrees of ease or pain. :)

Spoiler: river canyons (click to show/hide)

Arkhon Skyhex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:06 pm »

You are correct that I mistook the  SHEER cliff for realy STEEP slope, because I am used to look at the cliff indicator on the site finder, so I call them cliffs :P While dfhack and world painter would be the easy solution (such elvish blasphemy), I rather want to see if I can influence the procedural generation in such a way that it places high elevations right next to lower ones, preferably where those rivers meet. I essentialy only need a river on the high elevation so I can build an offshoot reservoir from it and a dam system ending in an artificial waterfall carved out into the mountainside, but a lower river is also desirable since I intend to have an arificial island as my fort entrance/mining operation and have the actual fortress inside the rock walls with carved out natural fortifications overlooking the island :D Helms deep is but the entrance, the actual megaproject is far more extensive 8)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2014, 06:04:57 pm »

This may be more useful, then.

It's just an embark with a sheer cliff, a major river below, and a minor river above (that you could channel from to make waterfalls down the cliff face).  It's 12 Z level worth of sheer vertical cliff.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you remove the seeds, the worlds that parameter set generates will produce similar results. (no adv. worldgen painter this time)

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2014, 08:17:00 pm »

Is there a good way to get very thick layers of a single type of stone? I would like a large (35 high, 90 wide) straight cliff face to work with. I don't mind carving away half a mountain to get it, so sheer natural cliffs aren't necessary, but I'd really like something all white, preferably marble or limestone. I just haven't been able to find a uniform layer thick enough.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2014, 12:34:12 am »

Is there a good way to get very thick layers of a single type of stone? I would like a large (35 high, 90 wide) straight cliff face to work with. I don't mind carving away half a mountain to get it, so sheer natural cliffs aren't necessary, but I'd really like something all white, preferably marble or limestone. I just haven't been able to find a uniform layer thick enough.
Sure, just change "Z Levels Above Layer 1" to 35 or whatever value you want.  Just keep in mind that's below the embark Z level.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2014, 12:49:13 am »

Has anyone got a good large archipelago world?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2014, 01:07:58 am »

Has anyone got a good large archipelago world?
This one's super easy - just choose in advanced options "large island" then "e" and choose for both x and y variance of elevation a value of 3200.  That's all. Should get a bunch of tiny islands.

I know you're asking for an actual world, but no time. Either that advice or nothin from me right now, so hopefully it is useful.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2014, 04:10:32 am »

That does not appear to be working: it has trouble placing enough low tiles, apparently.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2014, 05:54:52 am »

Sure, just change "Z Levels Above Layer 1" to 35 or whatever value you want.  Just keep in mind that's below the embark Z level.
That gives plenty of total thickness, but it's not uniform. For example, 4z of gabbro, 3z of granite, 6z of phyllite, 7z of schist, 3z of quartzite, 7z of granite, 7z of gabbro, 4z of slate is a pretty typical core sample. I guess I could always edit the raws to severely restrict the available stone types. That's somehow not as satisfying as creating the right conditions through world gen, though. Ah, well.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2014, 06:52:05 am »

Does anyone happen to have a small world that fits a couple of parameters for me?

I need only this: Iron, Flux, and Coal, and only one layer of dirt. Trees are unnecessary, the fewer the better. (don't care about this as much).

Small embark (2*2 is great)

Thanks in advance!
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2014, 10:10:12 am »

... That gives plenty of total thickness, but it's not uniform. For example, 4z of gabbro, 3z of granite, 6z of phyllite, 7z of schist, 3z of quartzite, 7z of granite, 7z of gabbro, 4z of slate is a pretty typical core sample. I guess I could always edit the raws to severely restrict the available stone types. That's somehow not as satisfying as creating the right conditions through world gen, though. Ah, well.
Try increasing the depth/thickness value to max (100) and increasing mineral scarcity to max (100k) and see if it's any different..  I'm not sure it would matter, but it might.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2014, 10:36:23 am »

Does anyone happen to have a small world that fits a couple of parameters for me?

I need only this: Iron, Flux, and Coal, and only one layer of dirt. Trees are unnecessary, the fewer the better. (don't care about this as much).

Small embark (2*2 is great)

Thanks in advance!
Here it is..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2014, 11:18:10 am »

Try increasing the depth/thickness value to max (100) and increasing mineral scarcity to max (100k) and see if it's any different..  I'm not sure it would matter, but it might.

Interesting. 3 chert, 4 diorite, 3 phyllite, 8 gabbro, 6 slate, 4 quartzite, 5 gneiss, 7 granite, 4 marble, 3 schist, 60 diorite. It appears the strata have the same thickness range, but their number is capped (or there's a depth limit). So maybe this isn't a surface project, but an enormous underground entrance hall. I'm sure I experimented with that Z layers parameter when I tried this before, but apparently I just didn't go far enough.

Thanks for the suggestion to take it to the max. It's an obvious thing to at least try, in retrospect. But hindsight is... 20/40? Possibly better.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2014, 12:16:25 pm »

That does not appear to be working: it has trouble placing enough low tiles, apparently.

Oh sorry, any time you ever do anything with advanced parameters, you should generally also set all of the "minimum blah blah type of tile: ___" to all equal zero (the whole last page or so of parameters).

They don't actually influence the way the world generates, all they do is throw out maps that don't qualify, so by setting them all zero, you are simply saying "I'd like to make my own choices about geography, thanks." And then it should work.

What's happening is that it's making a lot of mountainous islands with cool cliffs, which is presumably what you want with an archipelago!! So you're on the right track.

Another alternative if you actually want flat archipelago is to have the high x and y variance as before, but then also set the "erosion cycles" to a much higher number like 800. Possibly also add more rivers (before and after). Which will start out with thin small jagged mountainous islands but then make them flatter while still having them be islands.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Legionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2014, 08:49:07 pm »

I had a quick question for the map masters.
As you get all these requests - do you use any extra tools to search out the worlds after you  generate them? I get that experience provides you an idea of what values to start with and tweak, but that doesn't make it easier to compare all the possible places once you have your world.

I'm going to give in and make my own request soon, but I should probably fail a few more times first.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37