Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154198 times)

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.08+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2014, 09:25:58 am »

Can anyone tell me what settings to change if I want to generate very tall caverns that are mostly open space?

I want to make a cavern fort, and the normal 5 level tall caverns are somewhat inappropriate for this.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2014, 09:53:05 am »

I have a request that may or may not be hard to get.

Long version:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Short Version:
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 12, 2014, 11:09:40 am »

Can anyone tell me what settings to change if I want to generate very tall caverns that are mostly open space?

I want to make a cavern fort, and the normal 5 level tall caverns are somewhat inappropriate for this.
I've seen what you're describing before, but rarely, and I think it's a bug that it happens at all.
In any case, this is an embark that has a 46 Z-Height dry first cavern.
However, a few items of note about this world/embark.
The top of the embark is 279.  The tree level is 149.  The bottom (the very bottom) is at -131.  That's a 410 Z level change from top to bottom, so it's a bit... atypical.  ???

I suspect similar caverns will exist throughout this world.

In order to generate what you're looking for, a few things have to be at play, I suspect.  The first is volcanism.  I haven't seen a stretched cavern without volcanism involved, not from 34.10 -> 40.10.  It seems like a combination of factors  are at play, including the requirement to have a 0/ocean elevation tile somewhere in the world, a 400/peak elevation tile somewhere in the world, volcanism everywhere, greather-than-default amounts of layers between caverns and magma tubes poking through all the caverns.  Or it could be none of these, and just random chance, YMMV.

It may be possible to create this effect in a shallow world, I just know that I've seen it in very thick worlds, so that was easiest to find what you were describing, initially.  I'll work at it for a while and see if I can narrow down which particular parameters are required for stretched caverns.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2014, 12:17:46 pm »

... on a 2x2 embark, from most important to least.
At the least must have Goblins and Elves as neighbors.
All three cavern layers.
Has to have iron.
An aquifer. (or a brook, stream, or river. But I rather have a aquifer, FPS reasons.)
Magma near or on the surface. Does not have to be a volcano. But if it is a volcano, bonus points for being flat.
Necro Tower~ :D
Gems. The more the better. c:
Sand.
Gypsum would be fantastic, but I can always buy it from caravans.
Platinum and/or silver. By no means is this even relatively as important as gypsum though. :P
Surface farming.
Humans are the least important thing of all.
Pretty sure this hits everything.  However, the flat volcano is in a small lake biome (which also has the partial aquifer below it).  This has the consequence of capping the volcano in obsidian shortly after embark, but it's just unpausing a few dozen times and you're good.  At least it'll keep the magma crabs from starting fires on the surface.  8)

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2014, 07:23:55 pm »

I've seen what you're describing before, but rarely, and I think it's a bug that it happens at all.
In any case, this is an embark that has a 46 Z-Height dry first cavern.
However, a few items of note about this world/embark.
The top of the embark is 279.  The tree level is 149.  The bottom (the very bottom) is at -131.  That's a 410 Z level change from top to bottom, so it's a bit... atypical.  ???

I suspect similar caverns will exist throughout this world.

In order to generate what you're looking for, a few things have to be at play, I suspect.  The first is volcanism.  I haven't seen a stretched cavern without volcanism involved, not from 34.10 -> 40.10.  It seems like a combination of factors  are at play, including the requirement to have a 0/ocean elevation tile somewhere in the world, a 400/peak elevation tile somewhere in the world, volcanism everywhere, greather-than-default amounts of layers between caverns and magma tubes poking through all the caverns.  Or it could be none of these, and just random chance, YMMV.

It may be possible to create this effect in a shallow world, I just know that I've seen it in very thick worlds, so that was easiest to find what you were describing, initially.  I'll work at it for a while and see if I can narrow down which particular parameters are required for stretched caverns.

Thanks for the world and the guide!

Hmm that generation procedure is pretty complex, perhaps i'll try it later, but the world you made works perfectly fine. 

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2014, 09:47:02 pm »

... on a 2x2 embark, from most important to least.
At the least must have Goblins and Elves as neighbors.
All three cavern layers.
Has to have iron.
An aquifer. (or a brook, stream, or river. But I rather have a aquifer, FPS reasons.)
Magma near or on the surface. Does not have to be a volcano. But if it is a volcano, bonus points for being flat.
Necro Tower~ :D
Gems. The more the better. c:
Sand.
Gypsum would be fantastic, but I can always buy it from caravans.
Platinum and/or silver. By no means is this even relatively as important as gypsum though. :P
Surface farming.
Humans are the least important thing of all.
Pretty sure this hits everything.  However, the flat volcano is in a small lake biome (which also has the partial aquifer below it).  This has the consequence of capping the volcano in obsidian shortly after embark, but it's just unpausing a few dozen times and you're good.  At least it'll keep the magma crabs from starting fires on the surface.  8)

Thanks a ton. :3 The world is great. I think I may actually record my YT series with this world. :P
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

UltimateHobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2014, 03:26:24 pm »

We can make requests?  :)

I dont want much, probably.

All i want is an embark (6x6 or so) with coal, iron and a river in a non-evil, non-good biome with deep caverns.

By deep caverns i mean layers between z layers. I HATE caverns, not because of the creatures in them but because they RUIN my beautiful, symmetrical, orderly and generally perfect layout.

Currently, i have 25 z layers between the surface and the 1st cavern. If you can have more than 25 layers then, please, do so. I dont know how to manipulate the world gen and if you add too many then the dwarves dont seem to live (i assume they cant find plump helmets or something). I can never seem to find coal or even iron because i guess the game just hates me :( Im sick of having fortresses which rely entirely on copper armour and trade so, please, if anyone has something spare share it. (i dont think ive ever seen surface coal, its a legend told to me only through my friends.)

It can be any type of neutral biome, a desert, mountain, tundra, forest or anything. The populations can be anything, i dont care.

Anything beyond iron, coal and a river is a bonus. Im not going to turn around and reject a world with everything and more.

If someone knows what perams i should use to make then then just send those, i can cook some worlds and i know this isnt a very glamorous world.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:29:39 pm by UltimateHobo »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2014, 11:19:36 pm »

In my quest to nail down what causes stretched caverns, I narrowed down the parameters today, somewhat.

This is a 2x2 48Z-single-cavern embark, and the stretched effect pervades much of the world, in many many embarks.  I figured out it isn't affected by LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_X, nor the number of caverns, nor volcanism.  All those presumptions were wrong.  However, it does seem to be affected by overall world depth.  More testing required, but this is a pretty neat set of parameters, and steel friendly, so figured I'd share.  Of course, the HISTORY_SEED, NAME_SEED and CREATURE_SEED can all be removed and randomized for more variation with respect to civs & enemies.

To be clear, what makes this parameter & embark special is there is one cavern, and it's 48Z in height, underground, rather than the typical cavern which is ~5Z in height.

Spoiler: 48Z single cavern (click to show/hide)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2014, 11:44:41 pm »

All i want is an embark (6x6 or so) with coal, iron and a river in a non-evil, non-good biome with deep caverns.
This seems to match.. Embark level is 142, top of the first and only cavern is 109.  Magma starts at 100.  There is some aquifer bleeding in on the NW quadrant, but it's small and easily avoided.  If you move the embark one south, you'll avoid it almost entirely.
Spoiler: UltimateHobo1 (click to show/hide)
One thing to note, UltimateHobo.. 6x6 is a very large embark.  You can shrink this down to 2x2 and it will still have everything you're looking for, resource-wise.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:46:34 pm by vjek »

Incanus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2014, 05:18:11 am »

Hello, people.

I have much trouble in this version to change world parameters for what i seek. I would appreciate some advices, if you can help me. Here is what i want to achieve:

A world with:
- Lots of Waterfalls.
- Lots of Volcanoes.
- A bit on the cold side of temperatures.
- A decent load of minerals, gem and flux.
- Few towns but all civilizations (dwarves, elves, goblins, humans).
- A decent amount of bad, good and savage regions.

Not original at all, i know! And yet i have trouble to figure the right parameters. Everytime i try something, either i end up in rejections, or the result is far from what i figured!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2014, 09:12:50 am »

This one has some of what you want, and should put you on the right path, Incanus.  Personally I don't recall seeing a volcano next to a waterfall in a 3x3, but I suppose it's possible.

UltimateHobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2014, 12:28:58 pm »

<3

ty so much. I just cant work the world gen; every time i either get a world made entirely of ore or one with no ore whatsoever and as for the intricacies i dont even understand them at all.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2014, 01:03:44 pm »

PTW
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.10+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2014, 06:38:05 pm »

So more science regarding stretched caverns.

Here's a worldgen & embark that has a 103Z single cavern.
The layers go thusly:
100 embark
99 to 96 soil
95 normal
94 to -9 cavern
-10 normal
-11 magma sea

In this case, the cavern takes up pretty much as much space as it can, vertically.

Overall, the embark depth is 122Z, the shallowest I've seen with this effect.  It was created by using the advanced worldgen painter to create a world with mostly mountains (elev 400) and ocean (elev 1), and a strip of "embarkable" land in the middle (elev 100).  This, I think, exaggerates whatever is going on in the background to create this stretching effect.  The World in the embark finder looks something like this, to visualize the layout:
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲,,,≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲,',≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲,,,≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲'''≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲,,'≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲,',≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲'',≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲','≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲,',≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲,,,≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲,,,≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲'''≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲,,,≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲'''≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲',,≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲',,≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲,,,≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

Here's the details:

Legionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.10+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2014, 06:04:10 pm »

So I'm going to go ahead and make my request.  I'm not figuring this out myself.

Can you help me with the following:
  • Medium world - I plan to drop in the fortress defense mod so there are tons of races to fight.  I'll delete out the history/civ seeds and regen to add in all the custom monsters.
    I've made that work before.
  • Jungle with a volcano - higher savagery the better
  • Flux

Aquifers are all good if present.  Iron is always welcome but optional.   This volcano fort in the jungle just sounds like fun to me.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37