Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154764 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.10+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »

So I'm going to go ahead and make my request.  I'm not figuring this out myself.

Can you help me with the following:
  • Medium world - I plan to drop in the fortress defense mod so there are tons of races to fight.  I'll delete out the history/civ seeds and regen to add in all the custom monsters.
    I've made that work before.
  • Jungle with a volcano - higher savagery the better
  • Flux

Aquifers are all good if present.  Iron is always welcome but optional.   This volcano fort in the jungle just sounds like fun to me.
So, no iron, no aquifer, but two types of flux (chalk & marble) and the rest matches.
This is a tricky request because the world is huge, plus you need a Pole to get tropical biomes, and then you only get to look through about 1/6th of the world each time, so the number of embarks is extremely limited, per world.  Also, by 'jungle' I presumed you meant a tropical moist broadleaf forest, so that's what I limited my search to.
You may be able to regenerate with different mineral scarcity and get iron.  Haven't tried it, but others have in the past.  Savagery of 97/100.  Flat embark. Flat volcano.  Water in the caverns.
Spoiler: legionaries1 (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.08+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2014, 06:09:05 pm »

This one has some of what you want, and should put you on the right path, Incanus.  Personally I don't recall seeing a volcano next to a waterfall in a 3x3, but I suppose it's possible.
I don't think this is exactly what they meant, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think I was setting the cavern openness to max, layer density to max, high volcanism, and shallow worlds. Trying to find the parameters.

I think these were the same ones:

You will start out with several of the collapse spam messages, then it calms down and you get waterfallcanos!

Deeps

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2014, 12:31:54 pm »

Hi! Just got into DF a few months ago and have been fully geeking out about worldgen. It's like in Myst: The Book of Atrus; change one little thing and the world you link to could be completely different. Can't get enough of it.

First, an offering:

4x2, Flat volcano, waterfall into a 25Z triangular canyon, plentiful shallow hematite, clay, sand, feather trees, sun berries, nether caps, all neighbors + tower, very gentle slope ('1' on cliff indicator).

Also, no bubble bulbs. I know some people prefer that, though I personally like them and haven't figured out how to get them to show up. I've tried dummying out the other grass types one by one in the raws before worldgen, but no dice: it just puts bamboo everywhere, and when I dummy out all the possible forest grasses except the [GOOD] ones, DF just crashes in worldgen. Any ideas?

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 19, 2014, 12:26:11 pm »

I've been trying to gen a world with the following and keep coming close, but in the end all embark sites I find are missing one of the following. Has anyone generated a world with these?

-Huge cliff on one side of embark and desert/badlands on the other. No trees, will accept vegetation but prefer none
-Goblins and either humans or elves as neighbors (preferably all)
-Kaolinite
-Native gold
-Marble
-Magma tube/volcano

I'm on a particular OCD fad where I want to eventually purge my fort of all foreign goods and have everything be masterwork with the best material. ie. kaolinite pots instead of stone etc. That and I want to carve a very large and elaborate entrance into the cliff, the usual 3 tile wide 1z high entrances on a hill have gotten old. I prefer a magma tube over a volcano because having magma right on the surface is too easy.

Iron would be great too but isn't needed since in the end I can use goblinite. Platinum and silver are nice too, I can decorate my giant solid gold megaprojects with it.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 19, 2014, 12:48:26 pm »

worldspawn, when you say 'cliffs' do you mean a sheer vertical face, or a 1:1 rise:run (with ramps) slope, that is, a steep hill?

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 19, 2014, 01:33:04 pm »

worldspawn, when you say 'cliffs' do you mean a sheer vertical face, or a 1:1 rise:run (with ramps) slope, that is, a steep hill?

Both are fine since I can take a 1:1 and make it sheer with my miners. The sharper the gradient the better though.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 19, 2014, 04:24:39 pm »

I suspect you probably already know this, worldspawn, but as kaolinite is found in sedimentary layers, and volcanism produces igneous extrusive layers, it's going to be rare to find them adjacent in a small embark.  Without the requirement for a volcano, it's trivial (I found several embarks in the second world I generated) to find what you want.

With the volcano, very challenging, and likely only on a very large embark size. (4x4 or larger)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 19, 2014, 05:17:53 pm »

Oh I'm aware of their mutually exclusive nature, it's why I've been searching for so long :) I'm trying to gen one now that has that and am ditching the need for magma tubes at the moment. Just dry, steep, and full of gold.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 19, 2014, 05:19:44 pm »

Can I get a world with-
Limestone being the sedimentary stone, with at least 6 layers being sedimentary.

3-5 deep with soil, but not too far down.

Warm, but not hot or temperate.

Fresh water.

Savage/joyous wilds tropical grassland/shrub land/anything that gives me big cats. Bonus points if it intersects a moist tropical broadleaf or temperate forest. I'll bow down and kiss your boots if it has all three, my world like that corrupted.

Caverns not being very big, so I have lots of room to put rooms and stuff.

All flat.

Access to goblins, elves, and humans. No tower.

Plenty of iron and some medium-large cassiterite veins.

Rare and precious gems would be nice, but not necessary.

Some hula girls. If there's no hula girls, don't tell me.  :P

Preferably with not many trees, but still some.

Hope that's not too much.

Thanks!

Ps. Sorry for the big order. I appreciate your work.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 19, 2014, 05:42:15 pm »

Oh I'm aware of their mutually exclusive nature, it's why I've been searching for so long :) I'm trying to gen one now that has that and am ditching the need for magma tubes at the moment. Just dry, steep, and full of gold.
Ok, this is an "artificial" world made with the advanced worldgen painter, but it works.  At the very least, you know it's possible to find what you want.  If you'd rather not such an "artificial" world, let me know, and I'll re-do it.
There are three towers, but unfortunately, they're -just- too far away for this particular embark.  You may be able to find a suitable embark nearby that meets your requirements and includes a/the tower(s).
Spoiler: worldspawn1 (click to show/hide)
Also note there are three civs from which you can embark, which may or may not affect whether or not you get a monarch assigned in the first year.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 19, 2014, 06:30:08 pm »

Ok, this is an "artificial" world made with the advanced worldgen painter, but it works.  At the very least, you know it's possible to find what you want.  If you'd rather not such an "artificial" world, let me know, and I'll re-do it.
There are three towers, but unfortunately, they're -just- too far away for this particular embark.  You may be able to find a suitable embark nearby that meets your requirements and includes a/the tower(s).
Spoiler: worldspawn1 (click to show/hide)
Also note there are three civs from which you can embark, which may or may not affect whether or not you get a monarch assigned in the first year.

Ah thanks, haven't messed around with the artificials too much. I'll see what I can do with it :)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 19, 2014, 10:17:48 pm »

Can I get a world with-
I believe this matches everything but the cassiterite:
Three biomes in a 3x2:
  • Warm Temperate Shrubland, Mirthful
  • Warm Temperate Grassland, Joyous Wilds
  • Warm Temperate Broadleaf Forest, Serene
There is an embark in the world with cassiterite, but no limestone, although still some flux.  If the intent of the Limestone is for flux, that one might be better.
Also, I managed to get 4/5 types of flux, in this one embark.  8)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2014, 02:53:45 am »

Hi! Just got into DF a few months ago and have been fully geeking out about worldgen. It's like in Myst: The Book of Atrus; change one little thing and the world you link to could be completely different. Can't get enough of it.

First, an offering:

4x2, Flat volcano, waterfall into a 25Z triangular canyon, plentiful shallow hematite, clay, sand, feather trees, sun berries, nether caps, all neighbors + tower, very gentle slope ('1' on cliff indicator).

Also, no bubble bulbs. I know some people prefer that, though I personally like them and haven't figured out how to get them to show up. I've tried dummying out the other grass types one by one in the raws before worldgen, but no dice: it just puts bamboo everywhere, and when I dummy out all the possible forest grasses except the [GOOD] ones, DF just crashes in worldgen. Any ideas?
No luck on the tweaking but that canyon is fascinating, you didn't mention that it has two candycanes with something like 1800 readily and safely accessible chunks of candy before you even have to worry about trying to dig around the !FUN!, with a third much more risky tube almost exactly under the awesome canyon.

Naturally I didn't think to see what I could find along those lines until after I had micromanaged an almost complete suit of artifact steel armor (missing a mail shirt, as apparently segmented breastplates are just a flavor blurb, though I had to savescum a billion times to get the left gauntlet instead of a third right, as I had already given up on getting the second one to stop loading as a right one) but hey, it's all good right!

I think I messed something up though, I bumped the embark points up to use my typical profile, the layout was the same but I don't see any feather trees or native sunberries, and I had to manually change some of the veins in the upper layers as there was 0 iron ore at all, lots of malachitemagnetite and mica mixed in with gorgeous layers of marble to dig into now though.

No sign of the tower or goblins either. T.T

Deeps

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2014, 10:56:12 pm »

No luck on the tweaking but that canyon is fascinating, you didn't mention that it has two candycanes with something like 1800 readily and safely accessible chunks of candy before you even have to worry about trying to dig around the !FUN!, with a third much more risky tube almost exactly under the awesome canyon.

Naturally I didn't think to see what I could find along those lines until after I had micromanaged an almost complete suit of artifact steel armor (missing a mail shirt, as apparently segmented breastplates are just a flavor blurb, though I had to savescum a billion times to get the left gauntlet instead of a third right, as I had already given up on getting the second one to stop loading as a right one) but hey, it's all good right!

I think I messed something up though, I bumped the embark points up to use my typical profile, the layout was the same but I don't see any feather trees or native sunberries, and I had to manually change some of the veins in the upper layers as there was 0 iron ore at all, lots of malachitemagnetite and mica mixed in with gorgeous layers of marble to dig into now though.

No sign of the tower or goblins either. T.T

Curses, same with me about the malachite -- for whatever reason I tend to confuse it with hematite. Back to the drawing board on that rather crucial point. Dunno about the feather trees, though -- I've never generated a (tree-supporting) good embark without them. Is the place good anymore when you generate it? I've never had embark points alone mess with my mineral layout before. Temperature, mineral frequency, and layers above 'x' are usually culprits for changing the plants and/or the good/evil of an embark, with only superficial alteration in surface topography, IME.

As for the goblins, randomizing the history seed should help. If not, it would seem the right biomes aren't forming at all, as everyone is almost guaranteed to be a neighbor in a pocket world. I've noticed that towers don't place themselves consistently even if I run the same seed over and over without any randomization in DF2014, so sometimes just running it repeatedly can get me that spooktacular fifth neighbor.

Still got nothing on the bubble bulbs. I've changed the name and appearance of a mundane grass in the world's raws to look like them, but that's just not elegant.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:58:02 pm by Deeps »

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2014, 02:42:12 am »

Hey guys, I am sure this has been asked for a few times, but my initial searches have come up with nil. I'm looking for:
* Surface volcano
* Sand
* River (or brook, but river is preferred)
* Flat 4x4 area
* Forested area
* Flux and iron
* Thick stone layer, preferably obsidian or basalt, but any single magma-safe rock type is alright.
* Plenty of z-levels to work with.
* No aquifer, or only in a small area of the map.

The idea is to build a glass fortress, so I will need a steady amount of wood to make ash/potash/pearlash for clear glass.
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37