Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154197 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.10+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2014, 10:22:49 am »

Hey guys, I am sure this has been asked for a few times, but my initial searches have come up with nil. I'm looking for:
* Surface volcano
* Sand
* River (or brook, but river is preferred)
* Flat 4x4 area
* Forested area
* Flux and iron
* Thick stone layer, preferably obsidian or basalt, but any single magma-safe rock type is alright.
* Plenty of z-levels to work with.
* No aquifer, or only in a small area of the map.

The idea is to build a glass fortress, so I will need a steady amount of wood to make ash/potash/pearlash for clear glass.
I believe this one matches, but if something is missing, or it doesn't work, let me know.
Spoiler: 2x2 volcano/river (click to show/hide)

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2014, 11:25:25 am »

Hey guys, I am sure this has been asked for a few times, but my initial searches have come up with nil. I'm looking for:
* Surface volcano
* Sand
* River (or brook, but river is preferred)
* Flat 4x4 area
* Forested area
* Flux and iron
* Thick stone layer, preferably obsidian or basalt, but any single magma-safe rock type is alright.
* Plenty of z-levels to work with.
* No aquifer, or only in a small area of the map.

The idea is to build a glass fortress, so I will need a steady amount of wood to make ash/potash/pearlash for clear glass.
I believe this one matches, but if something is missing, or it doesn't work, let me know.
Spoiler: 2x2 volcano/river (click to show/hide)

Vjek, you're a god at mapgen - that volcano is like 10 tiles from the river. That's just pure awesome :) And it has all I was hoping for too. Excellent :)
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2014, 05:21:32 pm »

No luck on the tweaking but that canyon is fascinating, you didn't mention that it has two candycanes with something like 1800 readily and safely accessible chunks of candy before you even have to worry about trying to dig around the !FUN!, with a third much more risky tube almost exactly under the awesome canyon.

Naturally I didn't think to see what I could find along those lines until after I had micromanaged an almost complete suit of artifact steel armor (missing a mail shirt, as apparently segmented breastplates are just a flavor blurb, though I had to savescum a billion times to get the left gauntlet instead of a third right, as I had already given up on getting the second one to stop loading as a right one) but hey, it's all good right!

I think I messed something up though, I bumped the embark points up to use my typical profile, the layout was the same but I don't see any feather trees or native sunberries, and I had to manually change some of the veins in the upper layers as there was 0 iron ore at all, lots of malachitemagnetite and mica mixed in with gorgeous layers of marble to dig into now though.

No sign of the tower or goblins either. T.T

Curses, same with me about the malachite -- for whatever reason I tend to confuse it with hematite. Back to the drawing board on that rather crucial point. Dunno about the feather trees, though -- I've never generated a (tree-supporting) good embark without them. Is the place good anymore when you generate it? I've never had embark points alone mess with my mineral layout before. Temperature, mineral frequency, and layers above 'x' are usually culprits for changing the plants and/or the good/evil of an embark, with only superficial alteration in surface topography, IME.

As for the goblins, randomizing the history seed should help. If not, it would seem the right biomes aren't forming at all, as everyone is almost guaranteed to be a neighbor in a pocket world. I've noticed that towers don't place themselves consistently even if I run the same seed over and over without any randomization in DF2014, so sometimes just running it repeatedly can get me that spooktacular fifth neighbor.

Still got nothing on the bubble bulbs. I've changed the name and appearance of a mundane grass in the world's raws to look like them, but that's just not elegant.
Gobs did show up and it's a fascinating site to build around. Been trying to goad elves into attacking me with no luck so far.

Arcani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I write books!
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2014, 10:54:26 pm »

Hey,

I'm looking for a freezing savage Taiga that is, if at all possible, sitting adjacent to either a haunted/terrifying glacier
or a haunted/terrifying forest.  I need a river, flux stone, and preferably multiple metals.  I'm able to get all that by myself, but the problem comes when I also try to find a volcano in the same place.  Help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:12:41 am by Arcani »
Lux Arcana
Bucket of Love, the Love Bucket

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 28, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »

If at all possible, I would like an embark that is situated at the borders of two different evil biomes and a good biome. High savagery in all of them, and hopefully one is a glacier or freezing ocean.
And deep soil. As deep as possible, like 16 layers of soil, or however deep that worldgen magic can make it.

I don't need that other stuff like metals or flux stone, although sand or clay would be nice.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 28, 2014, 04:54:06 pm »

Update: it is indeed possible to get a 2x2 embark with 4 biomes in it. I have such a map if somebody is still interested from like 5 pages ago. Though also just FYI for general information. (PM me if you wanted that map)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2014, 05:47:38 pm »

Here's a kind of.. experimental world/embark.

I was playing around with temperature extremes to find out the limits of colddamage and melting, to see what would be the actual ranges in worldgen with poles and world sizes.

Inadvertently, I found an embark where the water on the surface turns to steam, while the river is running.  Specifically, the outside surface temp transitions to higher than 10180'U, within an embark with a river on it.

Then my goal was to find an embark with a tolerable temperature range combined with a boiling river.
Thus I give you: Ecruletters, the steam river embark!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The important part is to embark on the second biome, that is, to have the F2 biome (the warm tropical moist forest) highlighted when you embark, so all the dwarves and animals don't instantly melt and die when you start/unpause. ;)
Otherwise, it's pretty neat to see.  I have no idea if dwarves like steam, or if the steam could be weaponized in some way, but it's a hella neat effect when it starts raining in the boiled-dry riverbed, let me tell you.  Also, the second river that runs north is also boiling dry in it's path, and is nearby in the embark.
To be clear:  The only safe surface portion of this embark is the SouthEast corner.  Everywhere else, everything melts/boils to death.    :o
And yes, this could be done without the world painter, I was hoping for a steam waterfall, but couldn't find one quickly/easily.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2014, 08:13:43 pm »

Today I learned: you can control which biome you embark on... I feel like such a frickin' idiot for not trying that before.

Also that steam river is named Nightmarestandard, how... appropriate?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 04, 2014, 01:47:03 am »

Previously, I have saved the parameters for a small region that gave me lots of swamp and lakes. I know rivers can cut canyons through a biome generating steep cliffs over the river. Is the same possible with lakes? Specifically, is it possible to get a elevated 3x3 swamp biome on a lake? Would be interested in knowing how to go about generating one if it is possible.

For example,
L - lake biome
S - swamp biome

LLL         where the elevation is     333   instead of    333   
LSL                                           313                    303
LSL                                           313                    303

Or something like that?
I've only ever generated flat swamp biomes bordering lakes, in that 3x3 grid formation.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 04, 2014, 09:57:54 am »

Something like this, Zuglarkun, or a larger elevation off the water?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 04, 2014, 01:38:19 pm »

That steam river embark is crazy btw, part of my wagon landed close enough that I had to autodump some of the stuff from it because the dorfs wouldn't touch it, couldn't even put a wall around it because they wouldn't go on the northwest corner at all.

Then the cats all decided to play lemming and die at the edge of the steam-creek, and an elephant showed up to kill everyone so I chucked it into the hippos and left it at that.

Post-embark pause screen:

*tap period one time*

I've had embarks where a volcano actually started to erupt (I think there was ice in the caverns that melted and made a natural piston maybe? I still dunno what happened there, too busy dying to figure it out at the time) and dumped liquid fun everywhere while I was in the process of setting up shop.

I've had embarks where flooded caverns empty into a volcano, giving a rather awesome permanent waterfall, and a bunch of annoying obsidian collapse spam at the start.

This steam river of doom is hands down the craziest embark I've ever had, you can't even pick stuff up off of part of the wagon, and the tree right next to it can't be cut down. Can't build anything on those squares because you get "no access to non-economic materials" warnings, and so forth.

Oh, and there's an aquifer covering the whole map like two layers down, two or three layers thick.

Ridiculous and amazing. I doff my hat to you, vjek, you are a magnificent bastard for figuring out how to create such an awesomely horrible yet completely ordinary looking place.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:18:07 pm by Max™ »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 04, 2014, 02:46:30 pm »

Something like this, Zuglarkun, or a larger elevation off the water?

:o Yeah, like that but with a larger elevation off the water, like a small hill will suffice.
Planning to build a fort right at the end of it, and if there is a hillside I can make use of, all the better.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 04, 2014, 06:26:05 pm »

... Ridiculous and amazing. I doff my hat to you, vjek, you are a magnificent bastard for figuring out how to create such an awesomely horrible yet completely ordinary looking place.
Glad you like it!  8)  I have it on my to-do list to determine the "they won't walk here because it's too hot" limit, vs. the "the river is boiling" limit and/or find a steam waterfall.  Long term goals.

:o Yeah, like that but with a larger elevation off the water, like a small hill will suffice.
Planning to build a fort right at the end of it, and if there is a hillside I can make use of, all the better.
I've looked for a while, doesn't look like what you want will be easy to find.  However, how about something like this?  The lower/flat land is swamp, while the vertical cliffs next to the lake is mountain biome.  I'm not sure I could find a single mountain tile at the end of a swamp isthmus, but that may be the most likely viable option.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 04, 2014, 06:34:37 pm »

Oh, if you want some more fun stuff to experiment with, try using infinitesky and tiletypes to put some "natural" stone towers up somewhere and probe them. I mentioned in another thread that I once lost several dorfs because I had a layer I added--trying to get more splat from my drop tower--which was adamantine (due to having done changelayer for shiny living areas like 60 z below) for some reason and at one point collapsed into sand, but that's not the weird part... the temperature read 0 urists, and I think like 40 on the fractional part?

The dorfs I told to pit things down the drop tube were dying as they passed through the up/down staircase on that layer, so that's a datapoint: 0 urists can kill in the time it takes to haul a creature up a staircase, but it didn't kill every time, I think just the slower beasts did the haulers in, and the poor fool I asked to build a wall there was found dead by one dorf who died finding him, and was then found dead by another that I managed to stop so I could autodump the bodies before it cascaded into more three stoogery.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 04, 2014, 09:41:20 pm »

I've looked for a while, doesn't look like what you want will be easy to find.  However, how about something like this?  The lower/flat land is swamp, while the vertical cliffs next to the lake is mountain biome.  I'm not sure I could find a single mountain tile at the end of a swamp isthmus, but that may be the most likely viable option.

Yeah, Looking for that isthmus itself is already tough, didn't think adding elevation would be any easier. Well, thanks for the suggestion! Will keep an eye out for that! Also your dropbox image ain't showing up right  :-\ But I'll keep genning worlds and looking!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:44:42 pm by Zuglarkun »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37