Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154179 times)

Unknown_User

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.10+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #240 on: October 12, 2014, 10:20:41 am »

Alright, I'm coming back to DF now with the new release and all, and have something in my head I want to try.

I'm looking for a mountainous volcano and a brook/stream in the same embark, with lots of trees and plenty of everything to make steel.  Preferably cold or temperate climates, with high savagery (preferably neutral Untamed Wilds but I'll take joyous wilds too) and I'd love to have a Tower for a neighbor.  Ideally, I'd love it if there were only a few dwarves left in the world - enough for the first few migrant waves, maybe a hundred or so total?  I know that's a rough one, but from what it seems, if anyone can do it it's you guys.

Thanks so much!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 12, 2014, 10:26:56 am »

Even if your dwarven civ is extinct (to the point that all sites are destroyed), you will still get magic migrants showing up (they have no pre-existing relations) in DF2014.

Unknown_User

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 12, 2014, 10:31:27 am »

Really?  I remember that it used to be that way for the first two migrant waves, and then the rest were dependent on the world population.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:18:31 pm by Unknown_User »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 26, 2014, 10:52:41 pm »

Had an idea for a Fortress, but I don't know if the parameters are even possible; I want to find a Sinister beach, preferably adjacent to any of the other 2 Neutral/Savage types.  Can oceans/lakes even exist within an Evil biome?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 26, 2014, 11:50:05 pm »

Had an idea for a Fortress, but I don't know if the parameters are even possible; I want to find a Sinister beach, preferably adjacent to any of the other 2 Neutral/Savage types.  Can oceans/lakes even exist within an Evil biome?
So you want, specifically: sinister ocean beach or sinister lake beach with adjacent savage wilds and wilderness/calm? 
Three biomes in the one embark?  Does it matter what the other two biomes are, temp/type?  any other requirements for races or elevation, things like that?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2014, 02:42:12 am »

I think I have a terrifying beach in my current random map (0.40.14).
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2014, 08:03:09 am »

Specifically; I want to fight some aquatic zombies, but I don't think I'm quite ready for resurrection biome.  As I understand it, Sinister has the lowest chance of resurrection, but still provides undead.  If possible to get any of the other biomes at neutral or savage, would be amusing, but I'm mostly focused on constructing a beach house and defending it from said aquatics.  No other requirements, and I have a pretty good handle on Aquifers right now.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2014, 10:38:16 am »

So, here's the deal with this..

It's no problem to get a Sinister Ocean.  That's easy.  The problem is, there tends to be only one ocean per world, provided it meets up with itself below elevation 100 somewhere in the world.  The reason this is a problem is that if you create the world in such a way that ONLY the ocean is sinister, you only get one "Evil" effect in the biome.

With only one biome, and only one effect, it's typically raining some kind of blood, even though the number of types of raining blood is zero. (yes, likely a bug, but what can you do?)
In other words, you need a larger number of evil biomes to get a wider number of evil effects globally, including things like resurrection/zombies.  Or, you generate dozens of worlds, hoping the RNG is kind enough to grant you a single zombie creating evil effect for the single evil biome.

So, are you ok with a "patchwork" island, or would you prefer to roll the dice with the RNG? :)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2014, 02:23:44 pm »

Sorry for the delay.  Apparently, plotting a zombie-infested Dwarven sand castle "Does not constitute a proper use of company time" ::)

So, here's the deal with this..

It's no problem to get a Sinister Ocean.  That's easy.  The problem is, there tends to be only one ocean per world, provided it meets up with itself below elevation 100 somewhere in the world.  The reason this is a problem is that if you create the world in such a way that ONLY the ocean is sinister, you only get one "Evil" effect in the biome.

With only one biome, and only one effect, it's typically raining some kind of blood, even though the number of types of raining blood is zero. (yes, likely a bug, but what can you do?)
In other words, you need a larger number of evil biomes to get a wider number of evil effects globally, including things like resurrection/zombies.  Or, you generate dozens of worlds, hoping the RNG is kind enough to grant you a single zombie creating evil effect for the single evil biome.

So, are you ok with a "patchwork" island, or would you prefer to roll the dice with the RNG? :)
Ah, that makes sense.  I'm unsure what 'patchwork' means here, so I'll go with whichever takes less time, as I don't know what all is involved with creating specific parameters.  Also, in my haste I have posted to the wrong thread :-[  I'm currently using Masterwork Mod, which is 34.xx.  Can I still get an evil beach cooked for the old version?

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2014, 04:17:29 pm »

I've looked for a while, doesn't look like what you want will be easy to find.  However, how about something like this?  The lower/flat land is swamp, while the vertical cliffs next to the lake is mountain biome.  I'm not sure I could find a single mountain tile at the end of a swamp isthmus, but that may be the most likely viable option.

Could I have the seed for this, please?  I'd like to try something with more interesting terrain than my usual flat embark.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2014, 04:33:33 pm »

I've looked for a while, doesn't look like what you want will be easy to find.  However, how about something like this?  The lower/flat land is swamp, while the vertical cliffs next to the lake is mountain biome.  I'm not sure I could find a single mountain tile at the end of a swamp isthmus, but that may be the most likely viable option.

Could I have the seed for this, please?  I'd like to try something with more interesting terrain than my usual flat embark.
Sure, here it is:
Spoiler: chainbridged (click to show/hide)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2014, 04:53:44 pm »

... Ah, that makes sense.  I'm unsure what 'patchwork' means here, so I'll go with whichever takes less time, as I don't know what all is involved with creating specific parameters.  Also, in my haste I have posted to the wrong thread :-[  I'm currently using Masterwork Mod, which is 34.xx.  Can I still get an evil beach cooked for the old version?
Patchwork in this context means each square is it's own biome, or multiple biomes per square, kind of a patchwork quilt effect for the landscape, if viewed from above, rather than one large consistent biome per island.

In any case, here's a parameter set, with some caveats:
Spoiler: zombie_beach (click to show/hide)
This may or may not work with 34.11.  If it doesn't, let me know, and I'll make a set that does and post it in the older thread.

Even in 40.14, this  parameter set generates with many rejections.  However, when it finally does generate, you'll have the best shot at finding your embark.  In particular, it will be a Sinister Ocean surrounding an island or islands, and the area between the mountains and the coastline will be peppered with a wide variety of biomes with evil effects, (up to 100 per world) which should help with zombie-fying the ocean, hopefully.

Also, the worlds that are produced by this parameter set, given the high number of rejections, will likely NOT work, cross platform.  In other words, unless it generates with zero rejections, it won't be identical on all operating systems.  This only matters if you desire to share the seeded world, rather than a save of the world.

I have no experience with Masterwork, but this should provide a basis to start from, if nothing else.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2014, 05:29:55 pm »

Doesn't seem to be backwards compatible.  All of the accepted worlds had zero water, lol.  I even tried increasing the size to 50, resulting in 33x33, but still nothing.  I appreciate the effort, and if you make it for 34.11 can just pm me instead of bumping the old thread.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 28, 2014, 11:09:52 pm »

A note to the cavern science: I've noticed that cave depth also affects the depth of the world.  I pushed cave depth to min. 100 and most of the earth was 200+ z-levels deep, even though the distance between each layer was less than 10. 

Also thanks for the sweet seeds.  I'm definitely gonna try some of these suckers out, even if I do have to change the history seeds for more civs.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 30, 2014, 12:34:53 am »

PTW
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37