Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154178 times)

4kn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.24+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #525 on: February 24, 2016, 03:27:21 am »

hello there!
i've been trying to dig in advanced worldd generation recently, and bumped in a few things i'd like to have some help on.
im trying to generate a rough nordic world with a arctic oceans and razor sharp cliffs, so:
1) how do you make steep cliffs on an ocean shore? whatever i try, mountains and peaks are always inside the continent, and ocean shores are always flat.
2) how do i make arctic oceans? i generally lower max temp and make 4/4 part/full ocean edges, but northen waters (contacting glacier) are always temperate.
3) what parameters you need to have more goblin sieges (setting aside world simulation and fortress placement)? should it be more pop world, more max pop per site, more civs, or other combination?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 24, 2016, 08:41:43 am »

1) I actually made a weird world where I was tweaking the advanced world generation settings that had a load of steep cliffs around a polar sea. I'll see if it still exists somewhere, for the settings and seed but it was in a much older version. Definitely turn off the option to periodically erode cliffs in your settings for starters. I think I messed around with drainage and cranked up XY variance along with sub-region max. It was long ago so the memory is quite hazy. Volcanism was almost certainly cranked up and there was a tall volcano on one side of the bay. I'm not sure how much that may have had to do with there being cliffs there or not.

2)Not sure about this one. I'm not even sure that polar sea I had with the glaciers was actually an arctic ocean or not.

3)Goblins set up camp initially in evil biomes so if you crank up the number of evil biomes it should help a bit. Just letting the world run for a while should also help since over time goblins tend to become the dominant species.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:44:06 am by Melting Sky »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 24, 2016, 12:26:10 pm »

Just gonna bring this thread back a bit because I have been struggling to generate a world with any flat volcanoes. I've followed the advice I've seen in threads, but after hours of searching world after world after world, I can't bloody find any.

I'd PREFER the embark site to be in untamed or joyous wilds, and I want contact with goblins at least. Embark site obviously needs to be flat (planning on making an aboveground fortress and Z levels make them more irritating to do), and that's really it. I'm not too fussed about minerals as I can always use the goblins to source some metals if needs be.
I'll take a crack at this;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This will provide a minimum of 40 Volcanoes throughout the world, plus Elevation has a low maximum and variance.  Gen time is 500 years, can obviously stop before that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:05:15 pm by Immortal-D »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 24, 2016, 01:03:54 pm »

Not working. The game's rejecting every world because it seems unable to generate ANY biomes. Can't place peaks, mountains, midlands, badlands, deserts, forests, grasslands... by that point I gave up on it as it was 10000 rejections deep.
I got the Boundary & Variance values mixed up :-[  So it was trying to create Volcanoes when the maximum height was less than required... oops.  Try this one, I only got a few hundred rejections before it took hold, although World Gen started chugging after 200 years.  Also, make sure to check your Dwarf Civ's population at the world map, I got a lot of extreme populations, ranging from near-extinct to covering 50+ World tiles.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 25, 2016, 12:56:40 pm »

Just gonna bring this thread back a bit because I have been struggling to generate a world with any flat volcanoes. I've followed the advice I've seen in threads, but after hours of searching world after world after world, I can't bloody find any.

I'd PREFER the embark site to be in untamed or joyous wilds, and I want contact with goblins at least. Embark site obviously needs to be flat (planning on making an aboveground fortress and Z levels make them more irritating to do), and that's really it. I'm not too fussed about minerals as I can always use the goblins to source some metals if needs be.
I know you already got an answer, but here's a baseline you can use and adjust. (add good biome regions, another civ, beasts, titans, etc)
The way this works is, you set the min/max elevation to 100, then use the volcanic extrusions to create a tall enough spot for the dwarven civ to be placed.
Then you just have to look for a volcano that's not on an extrusion, and there's typically 4-5 per world within a 0-1 elevation change region.  The one highlighted is completely flat 3x2, but there's more in that world that will likely work.
The embark shown is about 20 Z levels to the magma sea, so it'll be quite fast.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 20, 2016, 11:20:56 pm »

It is probably possibly with perfect world or w....something-drawing program or a third tool, but I don't know how exactly to use those...And after getting lopsided results like 65 dwarves to 33k goblins (every sentient present though) with VARIED_MEDIUM from this thread, a request:

Ocean world with separate continent/island for each civ, placed so that there is a place to embark to connect a dwarven outpost to the other 4 (3, if you can't have kobold visitors I guess?) major species who previously couldn't meet (idea is that they all make their first meetings in the fortress).

Varied flora would be a bonus (tavern offering every drink imaginable :D ), reanimating biome zombie-snowballing all the visitors and animals into a giant ball of nope a malus, and for the sake of better FPS (heh, given the trees) 1 cavern plain would be just fine. 

For something a bit more small-scale, I've been wondering if you can fish, say, giant sperm whales or other sea animals - so a probably shorter term embark where I can connect murky pool, brook, ocean, river and lake for maximum fishing variety could be fascinating (preferably non-freezing as I'd rather not build a new magma sea :p).

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 21, 2016, 08:36:10 am »

Getting four different continents is easy, as long as you have Perfect World DF.
Getting one nation on each continent is difficult as hell.
Getting those continents so close they're all within one embark tile of each other without touching is damn near impossible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 21, 2016, 09:04:23 am »

I'd imagine the main difficulty would be mostly kobolds and human having similar starting biomes to goblins and elves, respectively?

And that's a bummer...I've been impressed by "making tiny island embarks" thread using PS_EL parameters as well as 1 volcano worldgen parameter + painter making said single volcano island at precisely the desired location as well as screenshots of chocobo isles, but I guess continents are far more difficult to control precisely.

Drokk

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I've probably killed a million goblins by now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 04, 2016, 04:50:44 am »

Hey there.

A pretty simple request that I've been trying to make for a while with no success:

A world with two things:

Terrifying glacier with at least goblins, humans and a tower as a neighbor.

Lots of tropical savannahs with high savagery, so after I play around on the glacier I can mess with giant elephants.

A SHITTON of megabeasts.  Crank that shit high as hell, i want to be drowning in dragons.

Thats it!  I can't seem to figure out generating glaciers, otherwise I'd have made it myself already.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:54:00 am by Drokk »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 09, 2016, 08:51:45 pm »

You will want to increase the frequency of savage and evil biomes using the weighted range configuration tokens. Remember to decrease the number of minimum biome square counts on the other less savage biomes and the neutral and good ones when you do this since you will get a lot of rejections otherwise since a much larger portion of your world's real estate will be evil and savage.

You will also want to make sure you have edge oceans turned on since you will want an ocean located at least one of your poles. Also, make sure you pick a world that is large enough to have at least one pole and tropical region. If you aren't getting any glaciers it may very well be because you picked a small world that doesn't contain any polar regions. Increasing the number of sub regions will help produce a patchwork of smaller biomes which should help you get a better selection of possible neighbors located near your embark. It will just be a matter of luck if you can get a terrifying glacier to form near all the things you want but these settings should improve your chances of it happening.

Another possible issue is that when you really crank up the mega beasts, towers and civilizations in general often have trouble getting established since the rampaging mega fauna often takes them out. I find you can usually double all the mega fauna, titans etc. without an issue. Once you get up above about triple the usual amount of nasties you start to have issues with civilizations dying out in early world gen.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:36:47 am by Melting Sky »

Arashi500

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 13, 2016, 01:10:14 pm »

I've just spent the last two days trying to generate a world with even a single ideal embark location with no luck after over half a dozen worlds.
I'm looking for an embark location with:

-5X5 or 6X6
-a river
-temperate temperature
-non-jungle forest biome
-multiple deep and shallow metals
-flux stone
-deep soil
-clay
-no aquifer

So if anyone could give me some tips on setting advanced world gen parameters or a pre-made world with a site like this, it'd be immensely appreciated. Whenever I get a world with one that's kinda close, it's either a jungle forest, a different temperature, or has an aquifer (I don't want to remove aquifers entirely either). And as I'm sure you can guess, it's been pretty miserable spending hours and hours making worlds only to have to reject them yourself just trying to get a perfect embark location. Thanks much in advance!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 13, 2016, 03:25:06 pm »

Uh, just so you know: a jungle and forest are the same thing, just different names. Anyway, here lets see...

- a river: needs some rainfall and drainage...Well, this is already covered by
- forest biome: at least 33 drainage and 66 rainfall (75 rainfall for broadleaf). Also, between 100 and 300 elevation - elevation control can be done simply by limiting map to 1 elevation and putting volcano(es) so there are some mountains still for dwarves.
- temperate temperature: giving the map a flat temp would be simplest way to accomplish this. Setting variances to 0 enables one to get what you want.
- multiple metals: high mineral frequency.
- flux stone: setting low volcanism in general would help.
- deep soil: ??? Huh, I do not know soil.
- clay: random soil type.
- no aquifier: high elevation and low drainage should work.

Sure enough, only thing that gives me trouble is deep soil initially. After a few tests, I find that low and medium gets only medium soil levels, while 100 drainage gets deep soil right away - while covering most of the map in aquifers as expected (rainfall is already high with 75 given for broadleaf forests)....Probably do not want to put that so high :p

(PS: For 42 thread, see here.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:28:32 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Arashi500

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 13, 2016, 11:49:24 pm »

Yeah, I know about the jungle thing, it's just a personal preference. But thanks for the advice, I could stand going for low or medium soil. If I don't have any luck with the next few worlds, I'll probably bite the bullet and relax my criteria.

Also, should I continue/re-ask in the 42.06 thread instead?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:04 am »

Ideally, depends on the version you want to play in, even if general discussion on what parameters to use to accomplish what can be done wherever. There's also a thread for 43.03+, and same parameters and seeds don't result in exact same worlds between 0.40, 0.42 and 0.43.

Otherwise, good luck. It is not like these exact overlap between aquifer and lot of soil either, though, so with a bit of tweaking* site finder should find you some places. Or you could search this and v.42 thread for forest and deep soil and see what turns up.

*you didn't mention it, but if you're never attacked due 0 megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, savagery, evil and no visitors or invaders due no other civs and 0 secrets you will have a rather tranquil fortress - while being surrounded by 4 towers and besieged by giant undead keas in reanimating/husking biome makes creation of fruit gardens on top of fruit gardens rather more difficult.

Arashi500

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #539 on: June 14, 2016, 11:46:50 pm »

I finally managed to get a pretty sweet world (a large one too!) with a number of good embark locations, including an almost picturesque one, thanks to you guys' and the subreddits' help. What would be the best way of sharing it with anyone who might want to try it out? I made a backup of the world before embarkation so I've got that. Just not sure how best to go about sharing it. Thanks again for your help!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37