Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 154211 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #540 on: June 15, 2016, 01:26:38 am »

Sharing world is usually done by parameter lists - for this, you need to go in legends mode and export them with p to get the seeds and parameters into files in your main df directory, most likely (or can be done through dfhack). Either way, you need to backup your fortress region before you do this, then after doing it delete the region folder and put your backup back in after obtaining the info.

In some specific cases the parameters alone wouldn't work out (e.g. mods). In this case, you can upload the fortress file - typically to dffd.bay12games.com

Nisper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 28, 2016, 03:56:45 pm »

I really really want an embark with the following conditions (think about this as a challenge):
-any embark squares(even if my pc is a potatoe it can run well df)
-short canyons(5-6 squares?)
-a river on surface if possible
-trees
-flux and ores
-no aqui if possible
BONUS POINTS:a volcano(noob at generation things might not be possible)
I acctualy had an embark zone similar to that.....cannot find it......

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 07, 2016, 06:25:08 am »

Hmmm, I had an old embark that actually fit this description, but that was on a version that is now several years out of date. I'm guessing world generation isn't going to be consistent across two+ years worth of new versions?

Edit: I should also add that is not easy to get running water on the same embark as a volcano. World gen does not like placing these two features in close proximity. If I remember right whenever I have gotten an embark with running surface water and a volcano it has been at least 4 tiles in one direction. I usually would run like a 4x3 or some other odd shape to keep the total area down to a workable level. Rivers, volcanoes and large embarks are all things that will slow your game down considerably. When you combine all three of these features you it can make a serious difference in late game FPS. Try to keep your embark size down to a minimum if you can and preferably don't pick a crazy heavily wooded area. Dense forests also tax FPS.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:46:30 am by Melting Sky »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 07, 2016, 10:11:31 am »

There was this post in 42.06 by vjek for non-painted parameters to get (deep) canyon+river+maybe volcano. I think it should work even in 40.24

I think I've seen brook+volcano in 1x2 in this or 34 thread, but no canyon there.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:14:03 am by Fleeting Frames »

kewlslice

• Bay Watcher
  • It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 23, 2016, 10:57:13 pm »

Not sure if this is for the current version or not, but I'd like a good adventurer mode world.

So something with
- Lots of beasts to slay
- Lots of history
- At least one of each civ
- I'd also like at least some savagery
- Maybe have a few different landmasses in the world
- I also don't want a ton of mountains all over the place to make fast travel hard :/

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:08:06 am by kewlslice »

Nisper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 24, 2016, 06:16:45 pm »

Well...the last one was not able to be made :/....ok guys new suggestion:
-Has a soil layer
-Any type of stone
-No caves
-Still has hell
-Sand(any size)
-Rock crystal if possible
-Some precious metal so i can make coffins
-Nice 'n' flat terrain  (could have a small hill where my dwarves can live)
I literally wanna make a pit that goes all the firikin' way to hell then cover it with crystal glass (if rock crystal if possible) or clear glass(if not possible) and then to make a huge memorial hall for the dwarves that got trapped (they have to mine the whole hole so bye bye dwarves)  from the expensive coffins THEN pump lava into it....Oh and i could use the max embark points thing....

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 13, 2016, 12:36:09 pm »

I was experimenting with seeds to create worlds where I can have embarks overlapping multiple biomes (save, preferably both good and evil) and multiple neighbour civs.

Result is below, a very nice world, but there are few things to do:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you want elves to survive, you need to mod their entity file to
   [START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
   [START_BIOME:ANY_SHRUBLAND]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAKE:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:2]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_RIVER:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SHRUBLAND:2]
Otherwise they will be wiped out.
If you want dwarves to survive, same thing add them grasslands/deserts etc.
(however how well dwarves fare is somehow tied to how well elves and humans prosper. with no elves there will be often no dwarves left standing. must be trade or something.)

The thing is, orcs and other civs will be moving onto them very often. Also, kobolds and goblins tend to not survive no matter what.

The settings above allow to create a world, where there will be embarks with 8 neighbouring civs, one or two towers, savage evil/good biomes next to each other, river etc.

Have fun :)
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 23, 2017, 05:31:48 pm »

I have a worldgen request. I'm sure someone has asked for something similar but I'm too lazy to go looking for it. I'm trying to find an embark which is either Joyous or Untamed Wilds, with sand, a volcano, a brook, no aquifer, medium temperature, flux, and a sedimentary layer. It's a really specific request, but I'm sure one of you worldgen wizards will be able to manage it. If you can't, or you need me to change my requirements a bit, that would be understandable.

EDIT: Forgot to specify 4x4 embark.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:56:11 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 23, 2017, 08:10:56 pm »

I sent you a pm.  And for everyone else, here is the current cookbook; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158646.0 :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 24, 2017, 03:58:59 am »

- Joyous/Untamed wilds: Savagery > 66 (or is is >=?. Too lazy to check) Use World Painter or my tweakmap.
- Sand: Sand desert, luck, or use geomanipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164090.msg7450350#msg7450350
- Volcano: embark on one.
- Brook: Use regionmanipulator http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164136.0
- Flux: geomanipulator again
- No aquifer: turn aquifers off using the LNP UI (presumably done with a parameter change in an configuration file in vanilla).
- Sedimentary: geomanipulator again.

Note that the tools (except World Painter) require DFHack.

Edit: I don't know if the tools work with 0.40.24, but I think they should.

Edit2: A script to change the savagery of a world tile. Note that the biomes inside a region are associated to either that world tile or one of the 8 adjacent ones.
setsavagery.lua:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To use the script, copy the contents above into a file called setsavagery.lua located in <DF>\hack\scripts and invoke it from the DFHack console by typing e.g. "setsavagery 100".
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:24:55 am by PatrikLundell »

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 05, 2017, 05:30:05 pm »

Question: Is there any way to adjust the good/evil regions during world gen? I'm trying to make a world with all nine possible savagery/alignment combinations and I'd like to be able to set that, rather than manually rejecting worlds that fail to meet my criteria.

Edit: Turns out I'm in the wrong thread; meant to post it over here.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:38:23 pm by Jazz Cat »
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]